Notices

Trailer getting away video

Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Curious why so much hatred towards DRW? Your entitled to your opinion as are we all but if there was no place in the heavy duty pickup market for DRW then they would have gone out of production a long time ago. I have towed my 30' scarab with both a SRW and now a DRW and I love the DRW, it definitely feels more stable and twice the amount of traction on a wet ramp(considering it is only 2wd)
me personally I love the dually, it's tough in the Wegman's parking lot or Burger King drive thru but other than that, very good. I'm not arguing that one is better or worse but the points being made about why the DRW might be better are not accurate, the physics dispute that.

Even your claim of twice the traction is not valid, you have twice the rubber but half the weight on each. Ever see a farm tractor with ballast on the wheels (I know we have some farmers on here)? Why ballast the wheels - reduced tire air pressure plus ballast equal better traction. If they added dual wheels the tractor wouldn't go anywhere it would just spin it's tires.

BTW - my next truck will be a DRW, I haul heavy loads and the SRW makes me a little nervious sometimes should I have a blowout, so I'm not bias just trying to be informative
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
He should have pulled over and stopped till the wind died down. Idiot.
Yep

John jr
Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Alot of good points made in this thread. Im not a professional truck driver, not my profession. I do know what feels and reacts better for my circumstances towing my biggest toy, and its a dualley.

In a perfect world and circumstances regarding the trailer setup and brakes, in the event of a brake failure on the trailer, a SRW truck has smaller brakes than a dualley, therefor the ability to stop is hindered somewhat. The dualleys bigger brakes would be more up to the task of helping to slow down the entire setup.

I towed a 42 I had with a SRW once after the brakes went out on the trailer. The SRW truck had a tough time of slowing down the rig. When using a 350 series at the time, the 350 dualley had no issues slowing down the entire rig.

Again several factors come into play, most importantly, towing with the proper rated truck for the job and a functioning well set up trailer including brakes. I am more comfortable towing with a dualley. The feel is definately different. The tires do have a stiffer sidewall ( atleast on mine ), therefore they dont flex as much as the tires would on a SRW, the over stability feels better, the brakes on the truck are huge. I dont care about drivethru windows or mall parking lots. For me the truck is a specific purpose vehicle.

To each there own, trailer on gentleman.......
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 45Tripps
Alot of good points made in this thread. Im not a professional truck driver, not my profession. I do know what feels and reacts better for my circumstances towing my biggest toy, and its a dualley.

In a perfect world and circumstances regarding the trailer setup and brakes, in the event of a brake failure on the trailer, a SRW truck has smaller brakes than a dualley, therefor the ability to stop is hindered somewhat. The dualleys bigger brakes would be more up to the task of helping to slow down the entire setup.

I towed a 42 I had with a SRW once after the brakes went out on the trailer. The SRW truck had a tough time of slowing down the rig. When using a 350 series at the time, the 350 dualley had no issues slowing down the entire rig.

Again several factors come into play, most importantly, towing with the proper rated truck for the job and a functioning well set up trailer including brakes. I am more comfortable towing with a dualley. The feel is definately different. The tires do have a stiffer sidewall ( atleast on mine ), therefore they dont flex as much as the tires would on a SRW, the over stability feels better, the brakes on the truck are huge. I dont care about drivethru windows or mall parking lots. For me the truck is a specific purpose vehicle.

To each there own, trailer on gentleman.......
150% agree!!

People can quote stats all day long but when it comes down to it I know what feels better when I tow and that is a dually!

Just this summer I watched my dually out perform an F250 4wd. We were at a ramp for a poker run and the ramp only extended into the water about 20' and then the concrete dropped off to a washed away sandy bottom. When I launched the boat all three axles fell off the end of the concrete. I said to myself this is going to be an issue when retrieving the boat. At the end of the day I just eased on the throttle and the dually pulled the trailer right up over the lip like the 8500# boat wasn't even there, no tire slip or nothing.

Immediately following a guy with a f250 had the same issue except his rear tires just sat there and spun. He had to put it in 4wd low to pull the tires of the trailer up over the ledge!

Like I said, I know what makes me more comfortable?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

45Tripps I agree with you about feeling safe, but I want to make one point about boat trailers. I personally think from what I see that most do not have enough braking power for the loads they carry. Your point exactly that if you need the truck to stop the boat that much then the trailer is light on braking, that's just my opinion and my boat trailer is the same way, triple axle and you look at the pads and rotors compared to the truck and I say, could use a little more braking!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
45Tripps I agree with you about feeling safe, but I want to make one point about boat trailers. I personally think from what I see that most do not have enough braking power for the loads they carry. Your point exactly that if you need the truck to stop the boat that much then the trailer is light on braking, that's just my opinion and my boat trailer is the same way, triple axle and you look at the pads and rotors compared to the truck and I say, could use a little more braking!
I was referencing in the event of a trailer brake failure, the dualleys larger brakes would slow the load easier, and also was relating something from personal experience.

My trailer has brakes on all 3 axels. The braking works great on the trailer and will slow the trailer and truck no prob. I have 16x8- 8 lug wheels on the trailer. Dont know how much bigger the brakes can be than what they are now. Bigger rims equals more trailer height. That can be a problem, especially since my 45 has an Arch.

I just prefer the dualley feel with the load, and the additional braking power of the dualley due to the larger brakes ( especially in the larger series of trucks) , just makes sense.

I too have been to ramps where the trailer has gone off the end of the ramp. This is where 4 wheel drive and or tongue weight is your friend.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45Tripps
I too have been to ramps where the trailer has gone off the end of the ramp. This is where 4 wheel drive and or tongue weight is your friend.
No truer words spoken my friend!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
No truer words spoken my friend!
Agreed, I am sure this is where the 800lbs of tongue weight helped me!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Curious why so much hatred towards DRW? Your entitled to your opinion as are we all but if there was no place in the heavy duty pickup market for DRW then they would have gone out of production a long time ago. I have towed my 30' scarab with both a SRW and now a DRW and I love the DRW, it definitely feels more stable and twice the amount of traction on a wet ramp(considering it is only 2wd)
I don't hate DRW trucks at all. I love all trucks and motorized vehicles! I just have to be a little extreme to go up against all the dually lovers on here! LOL! I try to defend the average boater (by average I don't mean the avearage high roller on OSO!). Everyone has an opinion but so far I have seen more scientific facts proving a SRW can do just as good and the DRW "it just feels better". No true facts. Lots of false facts like "bigger brakes". Thats not true for the Dodge. Bigger rear axle. Again false statement for the Dodge. So all these lies get confusing to the average guy who wants to tow a powerboat and gets scared into buying a dually to tow when its not needed.

People take sugar pills all the time that make them "feel better" , its called "the Placebo effect"!!! DRW Placebo effect!!!

DRW have a purpose and are great trucks. They are just overrated on OSO to be a miracle saver that tow night and day difference. But that is not true, especially with a properly set up SRW.

My point on THIS thread was to point out that a DRW does not "save" you in every situation like people on here ALWAYS say they do in other threads.

There are so many factors I need to start a new thread just for DRW vs SRW!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

There are so many factors I need to start a new thread just for DRW vs SRW!
+1

There are some facts, all the manufactures conventional and goose neck/ 5th wheel ratings for DRW are higher than the same SRW truck. They don’t just do that for fun.

As for the comments on this thread and others about a DRW not fitting in a fast food drive through, who is picking a TOW vehicle based on that?

Park it and walk!

BTW

My truck is a SRW, but I only have a 27ish to 30 foot boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.