Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
tandem axle trailer suspension question >

tandem axle trailer suspension question

Notices

tandem axle trailer suspension question

Old 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tandem axle trailer suspension question

suspesion question
have a tandem axle trailer when i got the boat/trailer the boats transom was hanging off the back bunk like 12-14 inchs trailered it home and moved it forwards to where it was 2 inchs from bunks then moved the front mount up so i could put boat on the trailer even farther now ithe transom sits 6 inchs ON the bunks and is way farther than i need it to be and the suspesion is still like pictured i even took them engines out and still same outcome suspesion is like pictured

trailer is level hooked up on my truck has same size tires all way around all axles and springs etc look to be same and factory to the trailer.. raised the back of the trailer off the ground and the suspesion does move correctly i asmusing this is a weight distribution problem still ? even with the engines out etc? i knwo this is a problem and needs to be addressed assuming prevouis owners prolly never thought about it..

here is the way the boat sits on the trailer now any body have any sugestions the trailer sits fairly low to the ground in the middle of the cross ties as they dip down to match the v hull of the boat if there was a way to raise it some it wouldnt hurt it questions and suggestions bring em all on THANKS
Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

hard to tell from the pic but it looks like a broken leaf spring..BTW nice formula!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
hard to tell from the pic but it looks like a broken leaf spring..BTW nice formula!
no broken springs both sides are setting like this.. nothing is mismatch
Old 02-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by jason y
no broken springs both sides are setting like this.. nothing is mismatch
If some was towing the boat like it was for a long period of time and if the rear leaf is not broken then i would say that the rear leaf springs on the rear axle are most likely bent or weak from carrying all the weight of the boat on the rear axle.jack the trailer up and pul the tires off and compare the front and back leaf's.ypu may also be missing a leaf on the rear axle..
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you said no broken spring. But that's exactly what it looks like. The part up against the trailer looks like a spring eyelet with no spring. The other side you can see the spring and eyelet. I had to replace an axle recently and with one axle gone from the trailer it sat just like your is doing.
Just my 2 cents
More pic's would help. Sit it on jack stands and remove the tires and take some pic's.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

double checked no broken springs all have 4 leaf nothing missing.. ill jack it up one day but i already picked the back up with a frontend loader and the swiveled like they should be had this one time before on a another trailer was due to the boat being to far back moved it up a few inchs solved the problem ive done moved this one as far as it can possibly go and it even has the engines out and there still like this..
Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jason...can you move the axles further back on the trailer? Mine is set up with 450 lbs on the tongue...with engines in. Now that the're out I probably have about 650~700 since I pulled 1200 lbs out of the rear. I would look at replacing the leaf springs. If the rear was too heavy for too long you are probably right.... that the previous owner overloaded the rear springs by having too much weight on the rear axle.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

i would check your tongue weight with engines in, you said it sits level when hooked up to your truck, this is just a suggestion, but whenever i have to raise or lower the tongue of my trailer that center piece always stays in the same place as if its "locked" there or the weight is not distributed correct, as soon as you hook up the trailer and move it around it always centers itself where it should be
Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

ill have to get it up and measure some stuff i guess. all the brackets are welded on the trailer along with the fenders and steps it would be a major pain to move it all i know the boat was sitting way off the back of the bunks for a year or so i dont know why as i hauled it home that way until i could get it to water and readjust bunks etc to move it up on it.. i dont personally think moving it all backwould fix it as it has decent amount of tongue weight now
Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
i would check your tongue weight with engines in, you said it sits level when hooked up to your truck, this is just a suggestion, but whenever i have to raise or lower the tongue of my trailer that center piece always stays in the same place as if its "locked" there or the weight is not distributed correct, as soon as you hook up the trailer and move it around it always centers itself where it should be
i just pulled it 30 miles last night to pull the engines out the trunion <center peice > stays exactly where pictured..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.