Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Ordered a Manning trailer... Anyone live close? >

Ordered a Manning trailer... Anyone live close?

Notices

Ordered a Manning trailer... Anyone live close?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pat@osp
Sorry to hijack..........does Manning make those boat jacks or are they Yard Arm brand? I'm just getting ready to order a set from Yard Arm in Indiana but hadn't seen any other options.
Thanks, Pat
Ron makes them for about 35% less than Yardarm.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I went with steel. Mostly because of looks. I have never had the boat in salt water and don't plan on doing it on a routine basis at all. IMO aluminum trailers are fugly
Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
I went with steel. Mostly because of looks. I have never had the boat in salt water and don't plan on doing it on a routine basis at all. IMO aluminum trailers are fugly
I had Ron build an aluminum one that was painted. Best of both worlds, lighter and salt ready. And as others have said, it expands your potential market if you do sell it.
Steve
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love ours but seriously if you got any type of center caps REMOVE them. Mine held water and caused the hub/rotor to rust away. Didn't suffer any bearing damage but all the hubs/rotors needed to be replaced in what I consider to be too soon a time. We have an '08 and doesn't get much travel time on it a year.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Steel must be cheaper then aluminum, that is the same price I got but for a dual axel, EOH, with drive guard. No tool boxes, no electric winch.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 45sonic
Love ours but seriously if you got any type of center caps REMOVE them. Mine held water and caused the hub/rotor to rust away. Didn't suffer any bearing damage but all the hubs/rotors needed to be replaced in what I consider to be too soon a time. We have an '08 and doesn't get much travel time on it a year.
They look good but are an issue. I get a little hand pump with a small hose and pump the water out after rinsing. Love the trailer though.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 45sonic
+1 on that. The center hubs that came on my Manning look to be stainless steel, they definitely hold water. My rims were trashed before I picked the boat up from the manufacturer. He test ran the boat (Florida) and the saltwater caused a dissimilar metals corrosion event. It got behind the clearcoat on the aluminum rims and turned them black. You definitely can't get the water out of the caps, maybe some drill holes in the sides would help. Nice trailer though.
Steve
Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most trailer manfg gets there wheeland tire combos from Tredit,I'm sure the caps are imported.I drilled a 1/16 hole at 12 and 6 and it usually drains,But it still attacks the clear on the alum wheel. Mainly around the lug nut area.The black plastic insert caps fit tight,I customized mine

My car trailer came with the stainless caps and there a 1999 and the alum wheels and caps still look new.

http://www.tredittire.com/Default.aspx
Attached Thumbnails Ordered a Manning trailer... Anyone live close?-center%2520caps%2520015%2520-large-.jpg   Ordered a Manning trailer... Anyone live close?-3-12-010%2520009%2520-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So what's the recommendation? Take the caps off, drill holes, or change them out?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run no caps for 6 years, hubs still look like new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.