Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Ford or Chevy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/274554-ford-chevy.html)

masi242 04-16-2012 03:46 PM

Ford or Chevy

I am looking for a new used pickup, I have a guy going to the auction for me so it helps but dealers seem to keep bidding up the price a little to high he says. He has mostly been looking for silverados 1500 z71 in the 2007-08 range. I don`t really want to spend over 19k. I was at work the other morning having coffee and one of the guys says I am thinking getting rid of his Ford F150 supercab xlt 5.4L tow pkg in very nice condition 2007. The Ford dealer on a trade 15,500 I was shocked.Now he is thinking private sale some where between 17-18k the truck has 50 k on it and was serviced at the dealer. I have never had a Ford but it has to be better than the dodge I bought, previous to that have been Chevys.

Just looking for your honest opinions the good and the bad lets hear it.

thanks

mark

mach1magnum 04-16-2012 03:50 PM

i have owned both much less money spent on repairs on the chevy over the years fords i have owned always need front end work i was even lucky enough in 1996 to get a f250 that needed new exhaust manifolds after 70 k miles

masi242 04-16-2012 04:08 PM

That is a another consideration money spent on repairs.

tomtbone1993 04-16-2012 05:22 PM

I run a Ford Store so if I can help please let me know. Not all cars that go to the auction are bad....but all the bad ones go...

www.Hillcrestford.com

masi242 04-16-2012 05:35 PM

Thanks Tom I don`t want to bash anyone just looking for a nice ride this Ford sounds nice and very clean. He is just looking to get out of his loan and it is a little more than trade in value just never had a Ford.

nate 04-16-2012 05:46 PM

Had a 2004 f-150 fx4 up until 100k miles. It had a big lift kit since new and it was a solid truck. Only issue i ever had was one of the front hubs and a leaking seal in the front diff. Also know the spark plugs are a biatch to replace (i was quoted 500$) on the 5.4 and youll need to replace them at 100k miles. Last november I was involved in a bad accident where the truck rolled twice. Couldnt believe how well it handled the impacts, truck saved my life. Good luck in your search, cant go wrong with either truck

FIXX 04-16-2012 05:57 PM

fixx

the only problem with hte ford 5.4 as mentioned is front end parts and the effin spark plugs,,one out of every sparkplug changed brake off in the cylinder head..some also blow out but thats on the older 5.4's..if you can get the rest of the sparkplug out then its all goo,if you cant then you have to remove the cylinder head to get it out and thats big bucks.

hadleycat 04-16-2012 07:10 PM

I have owned both and think Chevy's are a much better vehicle

Perlmudder 04-16-2012 07:21 PM

I am trying to get rid of a 2009 sierra 4.8L 4x4 SLE. It has 130 000km, but 90% highway, always taken care of, everything documented. I was told by a dealer 15.5k on trade in. Have it listed for 20k Canadian, and still have not gotten any calls and it is middle of the road price wise compared to other similar trucks. I love the way the truck drives, smooth as hell, never had a problem with it. If I did not live in downtown Toronto I would keep it, but it is very impractical to park in the city and it is just about as wide as the lanes in Toronto. Overall great truck though.

Wes Burmark 04-16-2012 07:54 PM

I am on my fourth Ford truck and have had only minor issues with which to deal (shift on-the-fly switch needed replacing). I go to a ranch where they have Chev, Dodge, and Ford 1 ton diesels. They all pull trailers with 8 horses at high altitudes. Every wrangler has their favorite brand. From a passenger standpoint the Chev rides the smoothest IMO. They all pull like crazy. I test drove 8 trucks before I bought my last one. I'm sure the dealer thought I was never going to make a purchase. Just be patient and keep test driving. You will know the right one when you drive it!