Notices

Ground Clearance

Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ground Clearance

When trailering, what would be a safe distance between the outdrive skeg and the ground? I now have outboards and would love to travel with them in the upright position. I have 12" between the skeg and ground.

After all the years of trailering one would think I should know the answer!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think anybody would have an accurate numnber to give you as all boats and trailer set ups are different and how you hook it to your tow vehicle. whatever the trailer postion is thats where I would keep it.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Does your trailer have an outdrive protector? I would be more concerned with someone getting too close to you with them in the down position and hitting them than the skegs hitting the ground. backing into something or a steep driveway entrance to a gas station or something could be a problem. Any particular reason why you dont want to trailer them in the trailering position? Seems like your taking an unnessesary risk and asking for something bad to happen.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered

I trailer with mine down. I have more clearance (maybe 16-18") but 12" should be ok.

And if someone hits it drive guard or not it's gonna hurt.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:25 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

If someone hits my drive guard the only thing thats gonna hurt is the grill of their car and they aren't coming anywhere near my drives or props. Made the drive guard myself with a 4 x 4 piece of 1/4" thick steel. Pull 2 pins and it slides right in under the drives out of the way.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As fireboat said, 12" seems a little low but the distance from the axle to skeg and the angles created would be the biggest concern.

Going up or down a steep drive or even backing into a tall parking block could pose a risk.
I thought it was always best to trailer in the "up" position and use a lock out or support to take forces off the transom?
What is the "love" advantage to trailering in the upright position?