Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners >

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Notices

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Let me try this again without it getting into an american vs japan issue. I am more of a fan of chevy and the silverado but am not opposed to a tundra if its a better truck. I would really like to hear from owners of both trucks especially those who may own or have driven the silverado with the 6.2 because I cant find one close to drive and dont want to drive 2 hrs plus to drive one just to be greatly disappointed. Tundras are easier to find so that will not be a problem but I would rather have the chevy if I can hear alot of good things about it. I will be towing a 1988 baja force 265 but usually no farther than a couple of miles. Thanks for any input and I have already bought the boat so I need to get a truck very soon.

Last edited by ckcgobigblue; 06-17-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Registered

I have an '09 Sierra Denali with the 6.2 that I use to tow my Spectre SC32 cat. It has all the power I need and plenty of ass on the interstate as well. I probably get somewhere around 9-12 mpg towing depending on interstate or local roads. Great truck and can't beat the creature comforts. I have a buddy that owns an '08 Tundra mega-cab w/ the 5.7ltr motor. That truck is a beast and very nice. I think the overall towing capacity on his is a little more than mine, but it doesn't matter for my boat. Any of these trucks will tow that Baja w/out hesitation. I used to tow a 25' Outlaw with an '08 Tahoe 2wd w/ the 5.3 V8 & never had a problem. I'd say If you're a GM fan, go w/ the Silverado as you'll get all the towing capacity you'll need for a lower sticker than the Denali or Tundra.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Denali will have a strong motor and a good interior.
Silverado will have a strong motor/tranny and a bland interior.
Tundra will do everything fine, motor is strong, tranny is ok, interior is nice but in the mega cab it will be the clear winner over the other two.

My buddy has an 09 5.7 mega cab and it has been flawless at 50K miles only needing tires. It is thirsty for a daily driver though. Turning radius is ok, not great.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I tow a 271 FASTech with a 08 Tundra 5.7l, but with the tow package, it has a lower rear end gear than the normal 5.7l. Love it. Tundra strong points are safety and reliability. Some reviews rate it lower in the interior and bells and whistles. Again you must decide how the truck will be used the most, and decide what comforts you like the most. just my .02
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had a couple Denalis and have towed some heavy trailers....both car hauler loaded to about 9k lbs, and boat trailer at about 7k. Not an issue with either, although I would recomend a 3/4 ton if you tow a lot. Not as much an issue with a boat that has a lot of weight far back, but with a 26' enclosed trailer loaded, you can get whipped around if it is windy. I personally drive about 50k miles per year and wouldn't like to do it in a 3/4 ton. I currently have a 2012 suburban with a 5.3, 2wd and like the fuel economy, and have to say that I miss the 6.2. My next vehicle will have the 6.2 for sure.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

I have 09 Denali and tow a 29 fountain with twins with no problem. Has plenty of power on the highway and when I am not towing gets descent gas mileage.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Registered

djp...thats awesome, I didnt think the denali would tow a 29 with twins but im sure thats within towing capacity. So what is your mileage around town and highway? 14 and 17 or what? thanks

I know the tundras are nice (my brother in law has a 5.7 crewmax limited) and will definitely tow my boat I just really want a silverado 6.2, hopefully I get to drive on in the next couple days. I found one close but its more than I can spend 37,900 used but at least I will be able to tell if I like it or not.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Registered

I am getting around 15-18 mpg which is a mix of city and highway and that mileage was at least 1-2 MPG better before I put different wheels on it. Good luck finding a truck!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Any will tow just fine.
I felt the GMC Sierra SLT was nicer than the Chevy Silverado LTZ. Denali added more bells and whistles, softer springs to give a cushier ride (slightly reduced tow rating), pretty wheels and $10k for the word "Denali".
Tundra had a nicer interior and better service record than any of the GM product, IMO.

You can look at the interior of any Denali, SLT, LTZ to get a general feel. Decide which one has the most other features you are looking for but it sounds like you have pretty much made your decision.
You percieve yourself as mostly a "Chevy" guy unless grossly compelled otherwise. It will be more fun at family gatherings to have lively truck debates instead of a Tundra love fest in the driveway and you know he had his first.

You have Denali taste, an LT budget and no time to be picky..........

Last edited by ChargeIt; 06-18-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love my Sierria Denali AWD. My 1 ton was out of commission so I pulled my 32' baja to the lake with it and was very supprised how well it handled the weight 8500ish?

Great truck and the best looking of them all by far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.