Notices

Side by Side UTV

Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Can Am's too, had a Bombardier snowmobile for decades, until we stopped getting snow, appears to me that the Polaris stuff is on par and considerably less money, remember, I am only gonna use this for commuting, and launching Sea Doo's [eventually] So, pulling dead deer out of a ravine, or plowing though mud 3 feet deep isn't a huge priority, I sure appreciate the info guys, thanks again!!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sell Polaris, Can am, and Yamaha. For utv Polaris is the best, the 900 smokes the 1000 can am and handles much better. They all have their problems but the can am cost more to fix and is harder to work on. I have 4 techs that work on them and they all say the same thing, if you want a 4 wheeler Can am or Yamaha, but Polaris has the utv down. Now one of the others we dont sell might fit your needs better but thats how we see the ones we sell. Just go drive them, you will see.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Michael, if you are not in a hurry to buy and would possibly be considering a used one - later in the fall there is usually more listed in the Motorcycle/Atv trader version of the Auto trader.

Seems to happen just after hunting season when everyone wants to gear up for a snowmachine and not have a ATV/Side by side taking up space in the garage all winter. Just something to consider....
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

Sounds to me that a Ranger will be better than a rzr for what your doing, the can am you have to put the seat belt on and window net or it will run in limp mode and will burn up the belt. We have had people override it and mess stuff up, plus the shop you take it to has the right to undo what has been overridin and charge you without calling first. I am getting a Ranger 500 with power steering for my house, I would love a bigger one or a rzr but wanna be able to haul a 55 gal tank of fuel down my dock and the rzr won't hold it in the bed or the can am and the bigger Rangers are to wide.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Sounds to me that a Ranger will be better than a rzr for what your doing, the can am you have to put the seat belt on and window net or it will run in limp mode and will burn up the belt.
The window net doesn't limit performance. The seat belt does, but you can buckle it underneath you if you're not doing anything crazy. I normally click mine under me when i ride through my neighborhood with my son. When we get to the trails, it's put on correctly.

I do agree, the Can Am is harder to work on, but for me, it wins for what I use it for compared to Polaris'. The seated/driving position in the Can Am is better, turning radius is much better than the RZR. Sure, it's 3 mph faster, but at 70, who cares? All I know is that between my Commander and my friends 900XP, I have to carry everything (tools, first aid, straps, etc), since all he can carry is his small cooler.

My best advice as an owner of a UTV is to go and drive all of them, and look them over very well to see what fits YOU the best. I love my Can Am Commander, but you may have different desires and find something else better.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Registered

The Can am bed with the under storage is cool, I am about 6'5" so none of them have great seating for me. We dont have enough room in our lot only about 60-70 yards to drag race them then a big grass hill to run up. When running a 900xp a 800 and Can am 1000 both Polaris beat the Can am, the 900 by about 20 yards it kills them both, and thats with different drivers and units over time. We had the Can am truck there doing demos and I called them out. They said no way it would beat it, after 4 races they had nothing to say. Yes at 70mph who cares I was more talking about low end grunt. Kinda like a 496 ho vs. a 600sci. Like I said before if using it for more utility you might want to look at a more utility one, sure the sport ones are all cool in there own ways but it's not as easy to get in and out of or have as usable bed. I hate to say it but with all the brands we sell 6 total you look at our lot and its full of Can am Spyders, Sea doo's, and getting more Comanders, they were slow to start selling around here. I have been working on this stuff for 25 years and the Can am's by far have the most problems, they dont test the stuff enough before the put it out. The Spyders are the worst.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

What problems are the Commanders having?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
10M
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
the window net doesn't limit performance. The seat belt does, but you can buckle it underneath you if you're not doing anything crazy. I normally click mine under me when i ride through my neighborhood with my son. When we get to the trails, it's put on correctly.

I do agree, the can am is harder to work on, but for me, it wins for what i use it for compared to polaris'. The seated/driving position in the can am is better, turning radius is much better than the rzr. Sure, it's 3 mph faster, but at 70, who cares? All i know is that between my commander and my friends 900xp, i have to carry everything (tools, first aid, straps, etc), since all he can carry is his small cooler.

My best advice as an owner of a utv is to go and drive all of them, and look them over very well to see what fits you the best. I love my can am commander, but you may have different desires and find something else better.
+1
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered

Belts, axles, computer problems and sadly motors because they suck to get out and the warranty won't replace stuff that's just worn it has to be unusable before they will replace it. We have had 3 motors in the year and a half they have been out and only one Polaris and they sent us a new long block ready to go. Look you can go buy whatever you want I am not a salesman just the shop foreman and I am just telling you as I see it. If I was going to buy a 4 wheeler it would be a can am but utv Polaris it's just how I see it, again been doing this for 25 years and I have nothing to gain by not telling you what I think. Go talk to the techs who work on them, nobody who just spent big bucks wants to think or say he got ripped off.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Look you can go buy whatever you want I am not a salesman just the shop foreman and I am just telling you as I see it. If I was going to buy a 4 wheeler it would be a can am but utv Polaris it's just how I see it, again been doing this for 25 years and I have nothing to gain by not telling you what I think. Go talk to the techs who work on them, nobody who just spent big bucks wants to think or say he got ripped off.
No sense in getting bitter, it was just a simple question.

I never think anything is better or best because I sell or own something. I own a Commander, it works for me, I was just curious at what type of problems you've seen, IN YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE AS A DEALER. On that note, I believe all brands will have their own problems, especially in the ATV market. ATV/UTV's take more abuse then anything out there in the general consumer market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.