Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Tell me about a ford f 250 with 5.4 >

Tell me about a ford f 250 with 5.4

Notices

Tell me about a ford f 250 with 5.4

Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesmalon
5.4 in a Superduty won't pull the skin off rice pudding
Right. It's a good solid reliable motor. I love it plowing snow. But it's such a turd with weight behind it.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading thru some other threads I think my plan is to wait and pocket some cash and go after a 09-11 gmc with the 6.2, I do alotta miles so trying to get a happy medium, Diesel definetly the way to go but, cannot justify the cost, if it was a work truck or I did alot more towing I'd go that route
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a used 2010 5.4l F250 lariat crew 4x4 and owned it for 3 days. Luck for the me the dealer un did the deal.

The truck sucked fuel, and lacked so much power I thought it was broken. rated at 300 hp (my azz) it felt like 150hp. The previois owner traded it on on a tundra, to tow with. The dealer was telling me I had to drive a tundra, funny thing is as said above most half tons are rated higher than the 5.4 in a f250The package I had was only rated for 9400 lbs. The truck couldn;t go up small grades empty without shifting. A guy pulled out in front of me and I got mad and went to pass him, he walked me in a eco car.

I bought a tundra crew, love it.

I won't get into a brand war, you have many options. A 6.0l chevy is a better option, bad on gas but way more power if you want a 3/4 ton

I sometimes get strange looks, the boat makes it look like a tacoma, but it tows great and is extremely stable

Last edited by 4bus; 06-28-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Registered

My father in law had an F250 with the 5.4. One day he took the Pachanga to the lake, and I trailered the Nordic with my Titan. Not only could he not keep up with a boat that is nearly half the Nordic on his truck, but he also sucked twice the fuel. A week later he had an F250 6.7PSD, a week after that I picked up my Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins. Neither of us have looked back. The diesels are muchg better on fuel that both of our trucks, even with the higher price it is still cheaper to run them, especially when towing. Good luck with the search!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

my friend pulled my open snowmobile trailer loaded with 4 sleds with his 05 f250 4x,,what a pig,the thinging only got 5 mpg,had to keep it into passing gear the whole time..my 92 suburban with 463000 k on it walked circles around it..and i still got 13 mpg pulling my enclosed braking the wing so he could keep up with the rest of us...by the time we made it home he needed a trans,,had to let off the gas pedal so it would shift..
Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the 6.0L has V V T and a 6 speed trans I might consider it with a good deal. Otherwise the 6.2L has this equipment and is a much better and more stable option.

If you set up for future two foot-itis the diesel, of course I would say Dmax, is best. Per gallon fuel is higher but efficiency is much better so buying less volume of fuel is cheaper in the long run.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 575cat
Know theyre 2 piece plugs and the tubes get siezed in the heads .
Note to self - trade truck before plugs need changed!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Note to self - trade truck before plugs need changed!
Yes!!!
That is one job that I have refused to do, to date. Too much frustration for the money. For the customer $$$$$$$ Not good.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, made my trip over the weekend, and I gotta say the ol 5.3 did just fine, there were two hills of concern, pretty much stayed at 55-60, went straight and didn't seem to be bad on the truck, on the hills, I was down to around 50, found a nice sweet spot where the truck was happy, never banged or clanked any shifts, on the way home the back side of one of the hills had a little extra incline and it definitely took the truck down a notch, same rpm's but went up around 40/45 mph, but hey I was pulling some weight, and well we are sposed to be slower when towing anyway. LOL on the way down one of the hills I let it roll to around 65 and she stayed straight as a arrow and never felt uncomfortable, all in all I was pleasantly surprised and no need to drop the hammer on a new truck (yet), I'm thinking next year I'm gonna pick up a all terrain or denali 6.2 and be happy, but for now i think I'm gonna enjoy not making a payment, and use that extra for gas, then in the winter dbl up on boat payments O ya and the best part which blew me away, 10.5 mpg I was stunned, thats what I got towing the 271
Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Registered

Steer clear of a 5.4 in a F250 for towing purposes.
I can't speak for New York but down here we have lots of F250's w/ 7.3 diesels for sale very reasonably priced that are 10plus years old listed for sale by original owners.
These trucks are awesome with virtually bullet proof powerplants. They're not as fast as a gas truck but lug trailers very well.
On another note, my bud has a GMC2500hd with 6.0 gas that still looks and runs great with over 300k miles in a 5 yr old truck but I'd still take the 10yr old Ford with the 7.3

See ya,
Kelly