Notices

Glad I had too much truck

Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I have outstanding performance with my gain on the P3 only at 1.2 with the boost turned off!
and thats with 13,500 back there!

but I did go the 13" discs on all three axles (overkill)

no substitute for swept area!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
When you lose your truck brakes, you also do not have any trailer brakes when running surge.

Surge brakes only work when the truck and trailer are going in a straight line. If you get any kind of angle between the truck and trailer, like avoiding something in front of you while panic braking, you will jackknife. Go out in a large parking lot and make a long sweeping turn and cram on the brakes and you will see what I mean. The back of your truck will slide all over.

If your truck is sliding, you are not putting any pressure on the surge brake actuator, so your trailer will rolling along perpetuating your slide.
also the controller is electrically activated by the brake light switch under the pedal
if you loose truck mechanical braking the trailer brakes will still activate...
and there's always the manual overide lever on the controller!
you speak of a delay? I have none. Smart is testing and setting the gain so the trailer brakes lead truck braking which eliminates any split second delay inherent to these systems and will contribute greatly to keeping the whole rig straight in a panic stop.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in GA, surge brakes are not legal on any commercial trailer. They work well if maintained and in optimum circumstances but many accident inspections found them not working. Electric and EOH are more reliable.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
also the controller is electrically activated by the brake light switch under the pedal
if you loose truck mechanical braking the trailer brakes will still activate...
a........

No experience with the P3, but I was under the impression the brake light switch feature was to start the EOH pump ASAP to keep the delay at a min, then the controller workings itself did the actual braking control?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Registered

we are on the same page. The system "powers up" with brake light activation yes...
I didn't break it down to that degree.

there is where setting the gain (controller brains as you say) to lead a little comes in to deal with any real (or imagined) delay in actual "feel" of the trailer "braking"
Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats like the LIE on rush hour I used to see a rear ending every day on my way home from Bayshore. New York is bad about that
Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
But according to a lot pof people, you can pull a 47' fountain with a ford ranger because its capable of getting the wheels rolling.... Good wake up call, thanks for sharing it...
That was funny!!!

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
You have it wrong, it was "glad I was in a truck capable of stopping the weight of my boat", towing is the easy part, stopping is the hard part! Glad you're OK
That is a very true statement!