Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Duraburb... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/282521-duraburb.html)

sprink58 08-09-2012 10:14 PM

Duraburb...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayrvJ...8&feature=plcp

The best "sleeper" tow vehicle I can imagine.:evilb:

ChargeIt 08-09-2012 11:51 PM

There was a thread here a while back of someone doing the conversion.

Pesonally, I think it is a stupid waste from any practical point and a BAD idea if someone thinks they can tow heavier with it.
Subruban suspensions are set much softer with a shorter wheel base than a comperable truck, neither is a good tow characteristic.

A person can get almost the same look (and less $$) installing a quality cab high topper like ARE on a crew cab.
Better suspension, higher legal tow rating, more cargo space, bed area can stay nice and clean but if something nasty is hauled, the passenger seating is not affected.

Quicksilver 08-10-2012 09:28 AM

Oh how I wish GM would make a Duramax Burb, or Ford with a Powerstroke Expedition now that would f'n rock.

That truck is gonna fly
edit -

Originally Posted by ChargeIt (Post 3750490)

Pesonally, I think it is a stupid waste from any practical point and a BAD idea if someone thinks they can tow heavier with it.
Subruban suspensions are set much softer with a shorter wheel base than a comperable truck, neither is a good tow characteristic.

A person can get almost the same look (and less $$) installing a quality cab high topper like ARE on a crew cab.
Better suspension, higher legal tow rating, more cargo space, bed area can stay nice and clean but if something nasty is hauled, the passenger seating is not affected.

Duraburb is the name of the company ;) , I thought too this was about a D-Suburban conversion lol

aquaforce 08-12-2012 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver (Post 3750684)
Oh how I wish GM would make a Duramax Burb, or Ford with a Powerstroke Expedition now that would f'n rock.

This idea keeps getting a lot of mileage and never quite dies. Then I hear that GM has discussed this a lot too but still no product. Yep I would definately sign on for a Dmax Burb.

FIXX 08-12-2012 09:18 PM

fixx

you wanna bet?? i have a older suburban and if you ordered it with the c6p package i equals a one ton Chevy's towing capacity. my suburban is a tank,,the biggest thing i have towed was a 40' park model camper that was 12' wide...pulled if down the road just fine at 14,000 lbs..

sprink58 08-12-2012 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3752244)
you wanna bet?? i have a older suburban and if you ordered it with the c6p package i equals a one ton Chevy's towing capacity. my suburban is a tank,,the biggest thing i have towed was a 40' park model camper that was 12' wide...pulled if down the road just fine at 14,000 lbs..

+1 I had a '89 Suburban 3500 with a 12" Eaton front and rear diff with a New Departure HD Transfer Case. It had a 454 with a Turbo 400...same one used in School Buses. It had hydraulic over vacuum power brakes and 8 lug wheels...3:73 gear. I used it to pull my '86 272 LS and I didn't know it was back there. I pulled regularly from Ft. Lauderdale to the Keys and I could stomp it from 60 and it would 2~3 shift at 90 @ 5500 RPM...would run 120 any day. The suspension was so stiff it rode like a dump truck.:evilb:

aquaforce 08-13-2012 01:27 PM

Have you owned a Suburban? It is the same as the comparable truck as far as chassis. My 2500 truck vs my 2500 Burb, with the same drivetrain, only differed in tow rating by the difference of the body weight. The suspensions were the same but the Burb rode smoother due to the body weight and distribution.
If it had a Dmax in the Burb it would be so much smoother, powerful, stable, efficient, etc,etc.
My dad's camper trailer didn't squat my 2500 Burb but his F350 squat 4". That is softer springs than my Burb but a dually has 3 stage springs and a Burb does not.

soldier4402 08-13-2012 01:38 PM

Ford tried this in the excursion and didnt sell many, im guessing they are not made for a reason

aquaforce 08-13-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3752693)
Ford tried this in the excursion and didnt sell many, im guessing they are not made for a reason

:evilb: :evilb:
Sorry I just can't resist...... that was a Ford effort. Just let Chevy try it and we will see what happens to sales. Chevy out sells Ford anyway. :daz: :evilb: :party-smiley-004:

Dd24skater 08-14-2012 05:58 AM

just bought a used 7.3 excursion a month ago.....so far love it!

bulletbob 08-14-2012 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dd24skater (Post 3753321)
just bought a used 7.3 excursion a month ago.....so far love it!

Thats a killer package! It would have been my first choice over the burb. I have a one toned Burb with a 454, 4l80e, np205, 14 blt ff in rear and dana 60 up front. It will pull just about anything at 6 mpg. Lol! I love it though! I will probably do a cummins swap in the future unless diesel prices continue to go up.

ChargeIt 08-14-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver (Post 3750684)
I thought too this was about a D-Suburban conversion lol

My error for making the ASSumption it was a conversion piece. Those were some hot numbers to pull by adding the second turbo. We are seeing more gas applicaitons with the TT as they try to squeeze more hp from every cubic inch (Liter).
Its neat to say "strap on the second turbo and watch these numbers from an otherwise stock motor". Its another to have the entire drive line hold together. With that kind of boost and hp, head studs and probably more internals will be necessary as is a very stout Allison mod that will set a person back more. All told, there needs to be about $10k spent before thinking about that kind of hp.

Sorry to send the thread in a different direction.

Originally Posted by aquaforce (Post 3752682)
Have you owned a Suburban? It is the same as the comparable truck as far as chassis. My 2500 truck vs my 2500 Burb, with the same drivetrain, only differed in tow rating by the difference of the body weight. The suspensions were the same but the Burb rode smoother due to the body weight and distribution.
If it had a Dmax in the Burb it would be so much smoother, powerful, stable, efficient, etc,etc.
My dad's camper trailer didn't squat my 2500 Burb but his F350 squat 4". That is softer springs than my Burb but a dually has 3 stage springs and a Burb does not.

Those were nice stories about 'burbs in the last century, fast forward 20+ years to today's models I got off track from the original thread refering to with duraburb retro fit.

For the record I owned a '94 1500 350sb. I also briefly looked at them againin 2007 when making my last purchase. I listed my points against the suburban and why other options are stronger unless the 3rd row passenger seat is truely needed. (In the 5 years I owned my suburban, it was used twice)

Just to prove my point on capacity; Click on the "dimmensions" tab.......... http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/compa...331907&sValue=

A decked out 2500 4wd suburban and crew sb weigh the same 6400#
Both are rated to tow the same #9500 at the bumper with 3.73 gears but the Truck has 1000# more GVWR due to heavier front and rear springs (as I said originally; front 4500; (axle only rated 4200) vs 4800, rear 5500 vs 6200)

Even more significant, the wheelbase on the suburban is only 130" vs 153" on CCsb and 168" on the CCLB. A vehicle can have great horsepower and sufficient straight line stopping power with brakes and even electric trailer brakes but TOWING involves maintaining control of the load at all times.
This is the difinitive edge a truck has over an suv. Especially with a bumper tow, the softer suspension WILL compress more which can start the momentum of failure. Also a longer wheelbase will keep a rig tracking smoother with less push in those sketchy situations like corners, trailer wag and slick conditions.

Suburbans are nice vehicles and proven themselves adequate tow vehicles over the years if for no other reason, their sheer mass but dont try to make them do more than they are capable due to the laws of physics. There is a reason Jeep does not use a v8 like the old CJ's just like gm does not offer the 4.10 rear for the suburban like they do for truck that increases bumper tow to 13,000#.
I towed my 7k boat/trailer with both the suburban and truck, there is NO comparison. My current 2500 CCLB is so far beyond, my words will just stop........

soldier4402 08-14-2012 03:04 PM

chevy.com says 9600lbs. anyways your standard 4x4 one before any goodies is 51k. Unless you truley needed the third row, you can get super cab, whatever 4 door truck decked out for 5-10k cheaper that either tows the same or better. And will get better MPG. Burbs and others like serve a purpose for the family that hs 4-5 kids and tons of junk to haul. But really I think the concept is outdated and that is why you see fewer and fewer on the roads.

really look at the excursions numbers in 2003 they were only towing up 11k which isnt anything better than what some gassers on the market offer today

Kims 09-19-2012 10:44 AM

I have one of the few GMC Yukon XL2500, 8,1 with the right axles to make it legally tow 12K. My boat and trailer weighs in at 11.660 lbs and I will own that truck until it falls apart or I die. Best vehicle I ever had period ! I towed my boat from the west coast to the east coast and tow it around all over Florida now and never had an issue or ever felt unsafe. I also have 20" rims with tires rated for the weight and the boat is placed on the trailer so as to optimize the weight distribution. As for mileage...... Well, I wouldn't be on here if I really cared anyway, would I?

wannabe 09-19-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kims (Post 3779890)
I have one of the few GMC Yukon XL2500, 8,1 with the right axles to make it legally tow 12K. My boat and trailer weighs in at 11.660 lbs and I will own that truck until it falls apart or I die. Best vehicle I ever had period ! I towed my boat from the west coast to the east coast and tow it around all over Florida now and never had an issue or ever felt unsafe. I also have 20" rims with tires rated for the weight and the boat is placed on the trailer so as to optimize the weight distribution. As for mileage...... Well, I wouldn't be on here if I really cared anyway, would I?

X2 I have the 2500 Avalanche. Tows the Chris Cat great. I get a lot of comments on my boat.

Wannabe

befu 09-19-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kims (Post 3779890)

I have a 2004 3/4 burb - 8.1L - 3.73's. Tow my 31' TT that weighs 10,000 loaded and it tows like a dream with all 9 kids and the wife in it (12 passenger). 8.25 mpg on the highway in the hills of PA loaded, 14 mpg on the highway without trailer. It really is an impressive package for a basic V8 gas truck. I would love to find a 1 ton passenger van with the 8.1L, not many out there.

Brian

Quinlan 09-19-2012 03:44 PM

I would love to find a 1 ton passenger van with the 8.1L, not many out there.

Brian[/QUOTE]

I have one in the fleet. It rocks! Just the reg van not the extended. Dont think it can handle the Cig tho.
lady had it built to haul her Harley trailer around the country. 02 w only 75K or so.

Gibbs93 09-20-2012 10:27 PM

That truck is gonna fly http://www.bdoh.info/7.jpg

sprink58 09-21-2012 10:00 PM

This is a fun post.:evilb:

vindicator101 09-22-2012 11:25 PM

I think this is the thread your referring too.http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...amax-swap.html

Gimme Fuel 10-02-2012 04:44 PM

I have an 03 Avalanche 2500 with the 8.1L and 4.10 gears. I have a cold air intake, no more cats, 40 series Flowmaster diesel muffler and the 4" MBRP tailpipe from my old Dmax. Sounds amazing. I did a complete retune using HP Tuners software and a friend's chassis dyno. I get better mileage than any 6.0L HD (except on big highway because of 4.10's but I rarely drive them). Around 370 crank hp (275 hp @ wheels) with good torque numbers. I have a 496 HO cam on my shelf waiting to go in once my BBC in the boat is back together. I am also going to adapt the LS2 Vette throttle body on there along with marine injectors. Should be around 450 hp (at least the 425...haha). I cant wait to get an Allison trans to stick in (4L80E gearing is waaaay too tall.) It is no Dmax but pulls like a beast and get 15-16 mpg keeping it under 65 mph. I have the trans set up to shift low (except at WOT) and low lock up settings to utelize the great torque band. Drives almost like a diesel but I still miss my old LMM Dmax. I have thought about swapping one in but I like the sound of the BBC...haha.

I think GM missed the mark by not offering Dmax in Burbs and Avalanches....they would be the perfect tow vehicles. I love my avalanche over my old HD as far as comfort, looks, and ride. Have pulled things over 15k with no problems at all. Butting the diesel in the Excursion's was the only thing Ford got right. I drive an 08 F250 diesel every day for work and all ten F150's and F250's we have in fleet have major problems before 100k. All of our 2010 and 2011 F150's are getting ball joints and wheel bearings by 80k miles. All we do is drive...no towing even. We have problems that I have never seen in GM products or at such low miles.

DuraBurb 10-04-2012 07:13 AM

Though this started out with a Pick-up here is a similar SUV in style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_bpTwrvLoE&feature=plcp

This is for just all out gofast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyv3U...eature=related

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...amax_dura_kon/

Fact is the Tow cap on 2003-2006 is 12K and 10K on 2007-2013 (due to the hitch in bumper set up) and its all based on a combination of braking wheel base and frame rigidity.

Either way its plenty for most boats, the nice thing about them is they ride much better and are far more family friendly then a CC P/U.

The other plus is that they (when built stock or mild) are worth just as much or more than what it cost to have built in our service center. Its a good deal no matter how you slice it.

It may not be for everyone but we are building 4-5 per month and it just keeps growing. :)

[IMG]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/...102_2774-1.jpg[/IMG]

YEA that ESV is a 2500HD LBZ

Eric

ridefast77 10-04-2012 12:30 PM

Eric good to see you back on OSO, All I can say about Eric /Duraburb inc. and there conversions is THERE F-ing AWESOME I have a tread on OSO where Eric did the conversion on my H2 and my hummer is SOOOOOOOO bad ass now I can't even put in to words how awesome it is why GM never did this is beyond me. I have a guy in CA that wants to buy my truck right now and I will more than likely but another H2 and do it again:lolhit:. All I can say is if you don't own one or have never driven one don't knock it cause you have no clue what you're talking about and your making yourself look stupid to the one that do, that was the best $$ I have ever spent!! Eric I am coming down next month i am going to try to stop by and see what cool projects you have going on.:evilb: