Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Best Aluminum Trailer for 38ft Cigarette? >

Best Aluminum Trailer for 38ft Cigarette?

Notices

Best Aluminum Trailer for 38ft Cigarette?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a quote from Manning. $5000 cheaper than Myco.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
Just got a quote from Manning. $5000 cheaper than Myco.
Yep but you asked for the best
you get what you pay for
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
you get what you pay for
There is a shop in Kemah, TX that has both Manning and Myco trailers right now. The boats are being repaired. I am going to look at both and see the details for myself. I found a post in 2006 that aluminum welds were breaking. I believe it was a Myco. I hope those issuses are something of the past.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
you get what you pay for
Lol, all Manning Marine trailers use box beam. Most Myco use open channel unless u ask for upgrade. Manning builds them right from the start. No upgrade needed.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dewayne6243
Lol, all Manning Marine trailers use box beam. Most Myco use open channel unless u ask for upgrade. Manning builds them right from the start. No upgrade needed.
I'm not so sure about that statement. My Manning aluminum is C-channel construction which I believe is typical. Now steel would be box beam, perhaps that's what you're refering to.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 509 SC
I'm not so sure about that statement. My Manning aluminum is C-channel construction which I believe is typical. Now steel would be box beam, perhaps that's what you're refering to.
I have a 52' Manning for my Fountain and it is boxed.

If you want a good built trailer Myco is the way to go. If you want a trailer built overkill Manning is the way to go.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by dewayne6243
I have a 52' Manning for my Fountain and it is boxed.

If you want a good built trailer Myco is the way to go. If you want a trailer built overkill Manning is the way to go.
Steel or aluminum?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Myco will build you anything you want. So will Manning. Myco has not jacked up their prices just for the sake of doing so. They have always been the best, and the most expensive. It's the price of aluminum and raw materials that has skyrocketed. I've seen painted ALUMINUM trailers from both of them that look fantastic. Myco will also build you a ladder bar reinforced steel or aluminum trailer as well.

The OP just missed a nice "NOS" aluminum welded Myco that sold a few months ago, built for a straight bottom TG. It sold for somewhere around 2/3s the price of new, probably less.

As soon as you talk to the other builders, and you start chewing them down on price, you components will go down in caliber and quality.
Axles, lights, wiring, 8" beam to 6" beam, same with crossmembers; not to mention braking systems, and how many axles.

In all my years of boating, I have only heard of 2 welds cracking on only 2 Myco trailers. That post the OP read here from 5+ years ago, and another friend of mine had 1 crack. You can attribute that to a sub-par core wire during the original weld/build.

I use to say McClain built a nice welded aluminum trailer after I saw a couple of them. Then I revisited those trailers a few years later and, blech! I saw plenty of broken welds then!

Myco
Manning

Top two cards in the deck; in that order. After that, you have folks that build a few welded trailers, but no one has the experience those two do.

If you need a Phillips screwdriver today, a Sunday... Where are you going to buy it? Sears or Wal*Mart? If you want to depend on it next Sunday, there is only one choice.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Steel or aluminum?
Mine is steel. When I had my trailer built I contacted Myco on a aluminum trailer and they gave me a quote. I then contacted Manning and he said he would build me a steel one. Too long for aluminum. Too much flex and would crack. My buddy has a 50' gooseneck aluminum Myco and has had it welded several times.

Long story short Myco will build you anything you want. Manning will build you only a trailer that will work.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 18 Posts

If $$$$ IS a factor I would highly recommend Ownes and Son. They have been in the slide on business as long as anyone. They are in the same place with the same owners, amd you deal directly with the owners when they build for you.
I am no expert but my son and I have been hauling a 42' Harley @ 19,000 +lbs for 23 years on the same Owens Trailer. We have replaced lites, brakes, and fenders, but the frame and bunks are original. WE travel alot too. Florida to Maryland about every other year. I would guess we got nearly 50,000 miles on trailer. Have loaded/unloaded on every kind of ramp u can imagine. We are big fan of Owens products and thier staff.
BTW the 42' Harley bottom came from and older Cigarette.
Attached Thumbnails Best Aluminum Trailer for 38ft Cigarette?-img_0448.jpg   Best Aluminum Trailer for 38ft Cigarette?-thr-trailer-001.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.