Notices

Ford 6.0guys, feedback

Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ford 6.0guys, feedback

Ok I know these were not the greatest motors especially 03/04, almost everyone raves that the 06/07 were great, I recently came across a 06 f250 6.0, I'm typically a GM guy but the truck is sharp and i can't ignore the fact that its never seen snow and only has 22k, the truck is 100% bone stock and org,

what has been your experience with the 06, and whats a typical problem, I know the 03/04 had head gasket issues, did it linger, or is it simply luck of the draw?

Thanks in advance,,
Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

This is our service truck at work which is telling me, well actually screaming at me to run the other way

Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

bye the way thats all for a head gasket
Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they r good for our diesel shop,but bad for people who own them
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered

I was nervous about buying my 07. Do yourself a favor and take some time to really do some research on what the true problems were with the 6.0L instead of listening to all the idiots runnign around screaming "EGR DELETE!!!!!" Everything you need to know about the 6.0 can be found wit ha few quick searches on the diesel stop website. With 22k miles I would take a chance. Do a cooling system flush and buy yourself an Edge Insight or something similar. It will tell you everything you need to know to accurately monitor whats going on with your motor so you can easily stop the issue before it gets to the point of looking like your above picture.

The gold colored coolant and casting sand in the cooling system where a few of the root problems that led to the EGR cooler failure, which in turn led to stretched head studs and blown gaskets.

Last edited by THRILLSEEKER; 10-01-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

07 f550 72k blown head gaskets, replaced and added arp studs and sold it. 06 f250 86k miles blown head gaskets and needed 3 injectors. I am a auto wholesaler and i see countless 03-07 6.0l with issue! My personal truck is a common rail dodge 6-speed. Awsome engine trans combo but the truck is not the greatest.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
I was nervous about buying my 07. Do yourself a favor and take some time to really do some research on what the true problems were with the 6.0L instead of listening to all the idiots runnign around screaming "EGR DELETE!!!!!" Everything you need to know about the 6.0 can be found wit ha few quick searches on the diesel stop website. With 22k miles I would take a chance. Do a cooling system flush and buy yourself an Edge Insight or something similar. It will tell you everything you need to know to accurately monitor whats going on with your motor so you can easily stop the issue before it gets to the point of looking like your above picture.

The gold colored coolant and casting sand in the cooling system where a few of the root problems that led to the EGR cooler failure, which in turn led to stretched head studs and blown gaskets.
Your right about head bolt issues not sure about the coolant part? Navistar tells us that it is a combo of the aluminum block, number of bolts vs. Distance between them and head bolt material. There is no doubt that arp head studs and factory updated gaskets will go a long way in helping the issues. Also the reason i think the egr delete is a good idea is because of the failure record of them and the fact that if it fails while towing it is most certianly going to cause other issues. By the time u notice a coolant temp increase it is usually too late.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Sold my 06 Harley edt with 3 months left on the power train warranty. Problems started at 27k mile with no modifications and went from there. Total warranty work to the engine over my 5 years of ownership was 33 thousand dollars. No to mention all the other problems that were not covered under the power train.

I won't go into details, except that ford covered all power train no questions asked. However I would never buy another.

Unless this truck is a steal, I would stay away. Also make sure it is not your primary vehicle, because you will have some down time.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by indysupra
Your right about head bolt issues not sure about the coolant part? Navistar tells us that it is a combo of the aluminum block, number of bolts vs. Distance between them and head bolt material. There is no doubt that arp head studs and factory updated gaskets will go a long way in helping the issues. Also the reason i think the egr delete is a good idea is because of the failure record of them and the fact that if it fails while towing it is most certianly going to cause other issues. By the time u notice a coolant temp increase it is usually too late.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-thing-276307/

This thread pretty much covers it.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Registered

Thanks guys I am not a gear head and was definitely looking for this kinda feedback, its a decent deal and the truck is mint, but I think I will walk, Ive been doing homework on the next move at the end of the day I think i will be buying a gasser and spend a little extra at every fill up to avoid these monster issues, Duramax seems to have a better track record, however if you encounter a injecter issue $$$$$$$ cha ching, Damned if you do and damned if you don't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.