Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Enclosed trailers... V-nose VS. regular?? >

Enclosed trailers... V-nose VS. regular??

Notices

Enclosed trailers... V-nose VS. regular??

Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Enclosed trailers... V-nose VS. regular??

Anyone have first hand experiance between the two? my boss and I are looking for a trailer, I wanna know if the V-nose actually saves any mileage over regular??
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hav e both and i think it is worth it. I have a horse trailer with a vnose and a cargo trailer with a flat front. At over 60 the flat front really works against you. Remember the resistance goes up by the square of the velocity.

The cargo trailer is taller- actually a mobile lab/office but I feel it with my Avalanche 2500.

Wannabe
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Most folks that I have talked to have said that V-nose is very difficult to tow COMPARED to a rounded over stainless steel nose. The rounded over nose difference is not significant between V-nose; and the V-nose grabs the winds from the side and when passing large vehicles and pushes the trailer all over the place.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the small chevy v8 last year in an extended cab 4wd. Towing at 75mph a 16' flat nose tandem axle full of dirtbikes, the truck kept kicking the cruise control off trying to maintain that speed. gas mileage was 5mpg at that speed. I can tow a 22' carhauler v nose loaded with 4 wheelers (much heavier) and maintain 75 without near as much trouble and twice the gas mpg..
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i use to have a low profile wells cargo 4 place snowmobile trailer with the flat nose,,was all over the road with my 2500 suburban,,now i have a 32' v nose 6 place with 6' of head room,,i can tow it loaded at 75 with no problems passing semi's..goes straight down the road..one thing to consider,,if you can find one witha alunimum frame i would get that one because the steel ones hold all the road chit and rust out...plus their liter..
Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I have towed with both to FL and back to Indiana a few times. I used my friends V nose that was taller and longer then a flat (Rounded top) trailer.

I got better gas mileage with the V nose, in fact better loaded then the other one empty. I never noticed either moving the truck around but I have a long bed extra cab 7.3 ford F250. The wheel base may help.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
i use to have a low profile wells cargo 4 place snowmobile trailer with the flat nose,,was all over the road with my 2500 suburban,,now i have a 32' v nose 6 place with 6' of head room,,i can tow it loaded at 75 with no problems passing semi's..goes straight down the road..one thing to consider,,if you can find one witha alunimum frame i would get that one because the steel ones hold all the road chit and rust out...plus their liter..
Do you have any problem with the trailer being too light and wind throwing it around when road is slippery and strong cross wind? The reason I ask is I have had 7 different trucks and 13 different snowmobile trailers in past 22 years, probably towed snowmobile trailers 150,000 miles between them all, my past 4 trucks have been Duramax crew cab 4x4's and they tow like there is no tommorrow. Last winter I bought a 27 foot enclosed/7.5 foot wide 6 1/2 foot tall aluminum inline 4 place. Was going 60 mph on 1/2 inch of snow with 30-35 mph crosswind, had 3 sleds in the trailer, a gust put my duramax INSTANTLY into a 45 degree jacknife and I instinctively turned into it without hitting the brakes and saved it BUT if I had been going 75-80 truck would have spun out and rolled over. This was in 4wheel drive with goodyear workhorse extra grip true snow tires on it that cut thru the slush/ ice better than anything else I have ever used and they are also siped and tread was still fresh at about 5/8" deep. Happened AGAIN on I-75 coming back from UP, 20-30 crosswind hit me between side covering on road at 70 mph, had 4 sleds in the trailer and one in the back of the truck, luckily saved it BUT spooks the hell out of you and has happened enough other times that I am thinking about dumping this aluminum sail and buying a steel trailer, I have towed a haulmark steel 24 foot/8.5 foot at 80 mph on 2-3 inches of snow/slick roads etc in howling wind and never had it actually kick truck out that bad. I have had more close calls with this new trailer yanking truck around then with all my other trailers combined, If I don't sell it I'm thinking of ballasting the damn thing!! Most these episodes have been at 60ish mph while traffic is wizzing by me at 75-80 so its not like I'm driving all that fast and definately SLOWER than I have ever towed any of the other ones unless it was black ice , total blizzard/whiteout or really warranted going slow, Smitty
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by articfriends
Do you have any problem with the trailer being too light and wind throwing it around when road is slippery and strong cross wind? The reason I ask is I have had 7 different trucks and 13 different snowmobile trailers in past 22 years, probably towed snowmobile trailers 150,000 miles between them all, my past 4 trucks have been Duramax crew cab 4x4's and they tow like there is no tommorrow. Last winter I bought a 27 foot enclosed/7.5 foot wide 6 1/2 foot tall aluminum inline 4 place. Was going 60 mph on 1/2 inch of snow with 30-35 mph crosswind, had 3 sleds in the trailer, a gust put my duramax INSTANTLY into a 45 degree jacknife and I instinctively turned into it without hitting the brakes and saved it BUT if I had been going 75-80 truck would have spun out and rolled over. This was in 4wheel drive with goodyear workhorse extra grip true snow tires on it that cut thru the slush/ ice better than anything else I have ever used and they are also siped and tread was still fresh at about 5/8" deep. Happened AGAIN on I-75 coming back from UP, 20-30 crosswind hit me between side covering on road at 70 mph, had 4 sleds in the trailer and one in the back of the truck, luckily saved it BUT spooks the hell out of you and has happened enough other times that I am thinking about dumping this aluminum sail and buying a steel trailer, I have towed a haulmark steel 24 foot/8.5 foot at 80 mph on 2-3 inches of snow/slick roads etc in howling wind and never had it actually kick truck out that bad. I have had more close calls with this new trailer yanking truck around then with all my other trailers combined, If I don't sell it I'm thinking of ballasting the damn thing!! Most these episodes have been at 60ish mph while traffic is wizzing by me at 75-80 so its not like I'm driving all that fast and definately SLOWER than I have ever towed any of the other ones unless it was black ice , total blizzard/whiteout or really warranted going slow, Smitty
i have a friend that has the same problem with his..it likes to sway ALOT.. i hear that the inline snomo trailers like to do that,, something about being too narrow and the axle not being back far enough,the combination makes them out of control..
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I dont plan to many long hauls, boss wanted a v nose, They seem more expensive so I was wondering the difference, the new issue is rear door height, I need 6' 6" minimal... most are like 6' 2"
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 28 flat that sold a couple of years ago, just got a 26 V and like it a lot, pulls much easier on the highway, no issue with side wind...but we are carrying a 3200 car...would buy for the extra room, I built a work bench across the front, sliding doors, cover my winch and gives lots of storage space under..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.