Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody have a Sprinter or know about them? >

Anybody have a Sprinter or know about them?

Notices

Anybody have a Sprinter or know about them?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by whoya
Actually a guy is selling a fedex "at home" route. Im thinking of it and having somebody run it a couple days and I would run it the other 3 days. I should start a new thread and see if anybody knows/is a fedex contractor. Been reading online and have read good and bad about them.
I could use a second job. Just gotta find time to do it. Lol
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have an 05 that's loaded with everything but the kitchen sink for work. Gets great fuel mileage.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AB69Z
Have an 05 that's loaded with everything but the kitchen sink for work. Gets great fuel mileage.
How has it been for you? What motor is in yours? Thanx
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

All my trucks are from phase out from Fed-Ex!...you onto something

Depending on the quantity of packages delivered daily you may consider the little Nissan delivery.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by whoya
Actually a guy is selling a fedex "at home" route. Im thinking of it and having somebody run it a couple days and I would run it the other 3 days. I should start a new thread and see if anybody knows/is a fedex contractor. Been reading online and have read good and bad about them.
Not sure about Fed-ex specifically, but I did look into UPS. The buy in was steep (300K+) but the money appeared to be right. I would be sure to talk to Fed-ex specific route owners, I was looking at a delivery route of any type, (bread, mail, whatever) and they varied WIDELY from brand to brand... Some are cash cows, some you are a slave. No first hand exp with Fed-ex on my end.

That being said, if your help is cheap you might be able to clean up, but most of the time adding an employee is a profit killer, other than a day here or there if you are on vacation. I decided against it because I didn't want to be committed 6 days a week, 12+ hours a day. If you can afford to purchase 3+ decent routes and put someone you trust in the second and third seats without paying them more than mid teens hourly, you might be able to make some serious coin.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have stated the engines are bullet proof, everything else is crap. I had one with only 75k that needed a trans. If your dead set on one i would get the freightliner, they are usually 3-5k cheaper at the auction. They are harder to finance so that makes them cheaper. If the weight requirement fit the nissan nv are great vans.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we work on three large fleets of them...the engines are NOT bullet proof by no means, all companys have had total engine failures in earlier ones that have been well maintained in 150k mile range, at that point they are not worth fixing due to cost, now we have to drive them to and from 50 miles one way...the new ones drive and ride great...best of all..the ford are the biggest POS to drive van wise out there...still 1980 suspension..and it shows..GM's a lot better on the road...only mercedes makes the sprinter, they were sold under dodge when they owned chrysler, when they sold it they took away the sprinters, they come in to the country unbadged and are made into freightliners before sent out to which ever dealer is getting them. so back to your question, I love the way they drive/run and the fuel mileage they get, but no way I would buy a older 07 or so without one great powertrain warranty......
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That 3.0L V6 diesel is the exact engine used in the R350 wagon 07 up. It is impressive how they tune that thing up and run it in a 3500 chassis. A vendor that serviced a yard truck for us loves his 2010 and said he has run at 14K lbs and it did well on mileage too. Sorry I don't remember the numbers he threw out on the MPG. He had a sensor fail around 86K miles but that is all the trouble he had with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have many in our fleet, (rentals) great mileage, comfy to drive, maneuverable in the city, The bad is they eat breaks, u joints are not greaseable, we have not had any major motor/tranny issues, we have a few with close to 200k still running down the road, with that said i would think the 180-200k mark is time to get rid of them, keep them washed the rot out bad behind all the plastic molding , make sure you do not overfill the oil!!!! the tire pressure sensors are very sensitive also...

As far as Fed Ex, have a friend that runs with them, seems to be doing very well,
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I am a servicer for fedex franchisees here in the cape....

My guys pay their guys by boxes dropped, but the franchise guys get paid on mileage.

As far as maintenance goes....

The gm workhorse chassis is a pain in the ass. King pins for front, international for power but gm proprietay engine management....bull sheet.....

We have several sprinters (Mercedes powered) that come in, and out, and back in, and back out....oh yeah....and back in. They suck...period. The frigging dipstick tool was a hundred four just to check the oil level....and forget about ac on that bucket....

Nissan hightop is awesome.

International dt 4 series trucks are awesome too. A lot of the medium duty tow truces are built on that platform...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.