Notices

Ram 1500 Diesel

Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for the heck of it I went to the Ford website and found the diesel option over gas was $8095 (F250). I opened up an Excel spreadsheet and put in the current price of regular fuel and diesel fuel here in the Pacific Northwest; 3.50 reg, 4.20 diesel. If the gas truck averaged 14 m.p.g. and the diesel truck averaged 18 m.p.g. in 50,000 miles you would get $833.00 of the over 8k you spent on the diesel option. Even if the "spread" in m.p.g were doubled the break-even point would be somewhere in the 250k mile range. I realize there are other important cost factors but for someone like me who has only 58k miles on their 2001 Truck a diesel option doesn't pencil out. The Eco Boost at under a +1k makes a lot of sense "if" it has the tow rating for your needs IMO.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Just for the heck of it I went to the Ford website and found the diesel option over gas was $8095 (F250). I opened up an Excel spreadsheet and put in the current price of regular fuel and diesel fuel here in the Pacific Northwest; 3.50 reg, 4.20 diesel. If the gas truck averaged 14 m.p.g. and the diesel truck averaged 18 m.p.g. in 50,000 miles you would get $833.00 of the over 8k you spent on the diesel option. Even if the "spread" in m.p.g were doubled the break-even point would be somewhere in the 250k mile range. I realize there are other important cost factors but for someone like me who has only 58k miles on their 2001 Truck a diesel option doesn't pencil out. The Eco Boost at under a +1k makes a lot of sense "if" it has the tow rating for your needs IMO.
I'm not sure you even had to prepare a spreadsheet to determine that it would be nearly impossible to recoup the cost of a diesel over a gasser if it's your DD. The advantage of the diesel is not gas mileage alone as you mention.

Just curious, did you run the same comparison for the EcoBooost and the 5.0?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Ditto for me. I agree with you, I really had to weigh the cost of desiel. Fuel price, upcharge etc.... At the end of the day I bought the 150 instead. It has a great tow rating and I have 10-12 friends that at a drop of a hat would lend me there desiel anytime I needed it. How ever i do wish I would have gone with the ecoboost but I was very skepticle.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpally
I'm not sure you even had to prepare a spreadsheet to determine that it would be nearly impossible to recoup the cost of a diesel over a gasser if it's your DD. The advantage of the diesel is not gas mileage alone as you mention.

Just curious, did you run the same comparison for the EcoBooost and the 5.0?
I did and its very close factoring in what Ford Claims the ECO gets 1MPG better.

Lets say 50k miles. Eco gets 16avg vs 15avg on the 5.0.

I will go with fuel price here today in NY 4.05 for regular.

The eco will net you $875 over 50k so pretty much pay for its self. This is going off of advertised MPG.

Look at diesel quick here. Diesel today was 4.40 my last F250 got 13mpg stock with DPF no tune.

Over 50k miles both gas engines save you around $4k along just in fuel. Factor in up charge of the diesel, insurance is cheaper on gas and reg. You got could be talking close to a $15k savings in 50k on a gas engine, and thats why I got out of it, on paper it was a no brainer. But everybodys needs are different.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mpally - I did not look at total cost of ownership of an F150 5.0 VS Eco Boost. I would probably go with the Eco Boost due to the additional tow rating as well as more torque at a much lower r.p.m. The cost for the Eco Boost is under 1k extra. Soldier owns an Eco Boost and as he mentioned above, it seems to pencil out on top of having a nearly 2000 towing advantage over the 5.0, 9700# for the 5.0 and 11,300# for the Eco Boost with proper gearing.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I did and its very close factoring in what Ford Claims the ECO gets 1MPG better.

Lets say 50k miles. Eco gets 16avg vs 15avg on the 5.0.

I will go with fuel price here today in NY 4.05 for regular.

The eco will net you $875 over 50k so pretty much pay for its self. This is going off of advertised MPG.

Look at diesel quick here. Diesel today was 4.40 my last F250 got 13mpg stock with DPF no tune.

Over 50k miles both gas engines save you around $4k along just in fuel. Factor in up charge of the diesel, insurance is cheaper on gas and reg. You got could be talking close to a $15k savings in 50k on a gas engine, and thats why I got out of it, on paper it was a no brainer. But everybodys needs are different.
Yeh this is what sucks with diesel, stock all the big 3 suck now, you'd be lucky to even approach the rated numbers, none of our trucks did with all the egr and dpf etc crap. And diesel is nutz $$, I just filled up, reg/premium was 3.81 and 4.19, diesel was 4.50 which was high but usually averages at least 20-30 cents over premium. I remember when a couple years ago diesel was cheaper then regular or about the same for a long time, fast forward..what.. like 3-4 years?!? and it's cost has sky rocketed.

Even the diesel cars don't have any real advantage over their gas counter parts unless your driving 30/40k+ miles a year to see a "decent" difference. With the trucks at least it's not just about mpg, but that effortless power and torque when towing that a n/a gas engine can't match for efficiency. Makes sense though in suvs like the X5 and others where your not paying an arm and leg for the diesel motor, heck some diesel cars/suvs start about the same or lower price then the gas counterpart.... HD pickups rape you but people are willing to pay.

Diesel trucks though see massive improvements in mpg and power, lower egts etc though with mods and getting rid of the dpf and f'n regen mods. But then your "tampering" with your warranty and new ECUs can still show detection to a dealer even if put back to stock with a tuner that's "non detectable".

Last edited by Quicksilver; 02-20-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Yeh this is what sucks with diesel, stock all the big 3 suck now, you'd be lucky to even approach the rated numbers, none of our trucks did with all the egr and dpf etc crap. And diesel is nutz $$, I just filled up, reg/premium was 3.81 and 4.19, diesel was 4.50 which was high but usually averages at least 20-30 cents over premium. I remember when a couple years ago diesel was cheaper then regular or about the same for a long time, fast forward..what.. like 3-4 years?!? and it's cost has sky rocketed.
It wasn't a couple years ago that diesel was cheaper, it was much longer than that. I purchased my first and only diesel in August of 2003. I was excited about being able to purchase cheaper fuel to justify my investment. Within 2 years or purchasing that truck diesel surpassed gas in cost and it NEVER went back.

My point? It was at least 8-9 years ago that diesel was cheaper than gas.

Buck
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck183
It wasn't a couple years ago that diesel was cheaper, it was much longer than that. I purchased my first and only diesel in August of 2003. I was excited about being able to purchase cheaper fuel to justify my investment. Within 2 years or purchasing that truck diesel surpassed gas in cost and it NEVER went back.

Buck
Here in South FL it was a little less/about same as regular with both rising till about 08' when it shot through the roof, at least here. Just looked at some historical prices to check.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Registered

This is an xb with the GS upgrade clothe seats full gauge dash ect. This can be done by the technician itself is very easy to handle. A beautiful car to own and use. Disclaimer I'm an Aussie, but a RAN M.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by buck183

Buck
Yup. I bought my first diesel truck in September of 2004. Shortly before that, diesel was cheaper than gas. If memory serves it was in the $1.50's. When I bought the truck, diesel was in the $1.75 - $1.85 range. I can't remember what gas was at the time but I think diesel and gas were pretty close together in price. Shortlty after buying the truck diesel went up to $1.99 - $2.19. It hasn't looked back since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.