Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
GM EXPERTS need some 5.3 LC9 engine interchange info >

GM EXPERTS need some 5.3 LC9 engine interchange info

Notices

GM EXPERTS need some 5.3 LC9 engine interchange info

Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 issues they are seeing, the oil using is from the oil rings getting carboned up and stuck...I think they may be using a low tension ring to improve fuel economy and may be the cause..not sure, they also have seen ones that were overheated warp the deck on the block and leak coolant(usually after sitting a day or two) internally, sometime this will cause a dead miss when 1st started as the coolant will foul a plug till burns off..I cannot believe that GM does not take care of this deal as I bet the deck is warped on this engine and replacing the head did not cure the issue..I agree needs to call GM and get in touch with somebody who has a clue...
Old 05-29-2021, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
A good friend of mine and OSO member owns Factory Engine Exchange. I'll PM you his number.
Can factory motor exchange number as well
Old 05-29-2021, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

The 5.3 has a real bad issue of oil consumption mostly getting sucked through the intake. Puddles and puddles of oil can be found in the intakes when removed. I think around 2012 or so they changed a baffle in the oil valley that fixed the issue. Lifter failures are super common with the AFM system and have heard of failures as quick as 2k miles off the dealer lot. If oil pressure drops below 18psi lifter failure is almost certain.

The LC9 is an otherwise great engine. Change out the cam and lifters to delete the AFM garbage, fix the oil screen under the sender, and use the upgraded baffle and the engine will go forever.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

There is an updated valve cover that will fix the oil consumption issue if the rings are gone. if you still have oil issues after doing the valve cover, try the gm cylinder cleaner to unstick the rings. To disable the AFM/DOD, inplug the sensor for the brake booster, you will have a check engine light for the booster but the afm with be disabled. Now to start a new thread for my current engine issues lol.
I was using oil like crazy, smoking on startup etc and the valve cover fixed it right up)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I believe the L96 6.0 engine will drop right in as a plug and play system. Might be a fun upgrade.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,136 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Samdeez5.3
Can factory motor exchange number as well
REMANUFACTURED ENGINES - REBUILT TRANSMISSIONS - FACTORY SURPLUS ENGINES - DIFFERENTIALS - REMAN ENGINE

Owner is Don Lamana, of drag racing fame. He is also an OSO member.