Notices

Tire advice

Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by bwd
Rear end sway is something I'm thinking of. One reason why I'm using 20" rims ( aside from style) is the reduced amount of sidewall. I'm towing my Phantom quite a bit over distance so highway comfort is important. I'd hate to buy something that was not up to the task. If the money tree was a bit taller there would be no real issue. Just trying to shop wisely. Those 32" Nitto(275) are around 220 a pop or a 305/50 for 300 E, which is high for me. And is a higher pressure tire just plain the best way to go when towing a load?
Ask yourself this ? if s the persons lives in your vehicle or even the little baby riding in the car seat in a car next to you worth the extra $320.00..remember the truck is rated for load range e and if something were to happen like a tire blowout and were to cause a accident they are coming after you!!..so for a little more money you can save someones life..
Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, thank you.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one subject I may actually be and expert on. Been working with tires for a long time. F-250's with 20' should have LT275/65R20's on them, yes load range E. Yes they cost a ton of money and there are only a few different styles of them out there, you can switch to 18's but buying the rims and tires will cost you as much as just buying a good 20" tire. I would suggest looking at eBay and craigslist guys sell stock sets of take-offs all the time, sometimes they don't really know what they got and mis-price them. I have to double check but I think 2004 to current 3/4 tons all use the same hub so you should be able to buy a new set of take offs from a 2012 2013 and bolt them right up. If you are going to tow anything with it load range E is what you what also known as a 10ply tire.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Registered

Here is a good set right here if you want to go to 18"s.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/en/landin...alID%3DEBAY-US

Those are $250 tires and really good ones to boot. The wheels are worth about 150 to 200 each as well. They will bolt right up to your truck and the speedo will even be right, the 20 and the 18"s are the same overall size.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered

2500HD Chevy, nothing but "E" tires. The few dollars you may save on a tire won't mean much if you are upside down in the ditch somewhere......
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Registered

I ran H2 wheels and BFGs on my 2500 Dodge w/great results, D load range. Tires were needing replacement and Sears was having a steal/deal so I picked up some General red letter A/t tires E load range, nobody could even come close to the price. At the same time found some black rhino 17" wheels for dirt cheap on CL. Even w/the E rating I notice a little roll. Will try to post a pic.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st what does the tire label say on the door sticker ? it is now illegal to lower the recommended load range tire...so if it says E and you install D's and something happens the insurance co could give you a problem....I tried a couple of D's over the years on my other 2500HD 1st ones were yokahama's and they were garbage, removed them after 1 month...later a set of nitto's..which when I bought were supposed to be E's and turned out to be D's...they were not to bad driving wise but hated the noise...have coopers on my 08 now and do like them...