Notices

F150 or F250?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really you have to be smart and ensure your truck can tow your vehicle. I would agree towing a 38foot with a 1/2 ton is probably risky at best, but if that guys feels as if he can handle it more power to him I guess. I just think there are more truck applications these days that work than your standard answer of buy a F450 dually thats the only thing that can do it. Take for example a semi weighs 20k, and they tow 80k, the weight ratio is actually a lot better on that 1/2 ton to that 10k boat than the semi, now granted you have to factor in brakes on the semi, axles etc. These days every has to pinch the penny and a lot of guys drive their truck every day as well, and a diesel sucks money right out the wallet. But with that said you should not compromise safety either, if you cant afford to tow it with the right truck then you cant do it. But most modern half tons are very capable of towing into the 9-10k range these, they are a lot of different than 10-15 years ago and actually are besides the engines have alot of the same characteristics that old 3/4 tons did 10-15 years ago. To each his own I guess, more than one way to tow a boat, I have been in and out of diesels and 1/2 tons towing my boat, and the 1/2 ton application I use now, works great and really not much different than my old diesel did.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the point it here is not weather they may or not have the power..it's the suspension, tires, brakes...thats the killer point...litterly...and with a most of the boat trailer brakes being surge...no slapping the brake controller to help get you out of trouble...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I think the point it here is not weather they may or not have the power..it's the suspension, tires, brakes...thats the killer point...litterly...and with a most of the boat trailer brakes being surge...no slapping the brake controller to help get you out of trouble...
agreed and one most know the limits of his truck. But with that said there is no one and done way to tow anything or some standard answer.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for towing , bigger is better. enuff said
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the purchase was supposed to have happened, what was the result?

BTW, my vote is 250 no question if it will be asked to tow more than to the storage shed twice a year.

Ford is the lone holdout of the manufacturers to not adopt the new SAE tow standards because they know their trucks are over rated
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I know the 9,700 lb. or whatever rating it is on my F-150 is a joke.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
would never tell anybody to under tow something. I tow a 29 fountain 7k dry with an eco boost, no problems, good trailer brakes on it now stops pretty good. In an oh poop moment its important to have the right truck and functional trailer brakes, but in some instances it aint going to matter dont matter what truck is underneath you. Depends on what you do, I tow from memorial to labor day so max about 12 times a summer out on the boat, one place is 25 miles the other is 40, and yes most accidents happen within miles of your home. But I will admit if I was towing across state or cross country I would be back in the diesel no doubt. But I feel quite safe and feel the truck is adequate for the job, I had a F250 6.4l before and dont see the night and day difference to be honest. Not saying what the OP should do or not go, but go with your gut and what you can handle. But these newer half tons specially the eco is a lot of truck and more than what 1/2 tons used to be.
I towed my 272 last week with a friends EcoBoost to the pump and back a couple of times, on his Aluminum trailer with EOH brakes. I have to say it was much more capable than my 1/2 ton Avalanche which I only use to tow from the boat barn to the ramp (1/2 mile). I use the CC long box Duramax on the road. Wouldn't even think about either of the 1/2 tons for the 650 mile trip to the beach.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F250 for sure! Just asking for problems that you just don't need to deal with when your going to play.....
Your stopping power and stability will not even compare to the F250.
Not to mention how much extra strain it's going to put on the Trans , chassis , breaks..
Almost certain the F150 will be all over the road with your 38 going down the freeway!
OSO members and myself tend to poll often with your kind of weight your polling and there is a reason most of us use a 3/4 ton and up for towing !
And one more thing around here on the west coast if you happen to pass a DOT cop that knows what he's looking at he's bound to get ya for something.....
Just my two cents
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Registered

I am a Ford dealer and I would say go with the F250...LMK if you need a quote...I will fly you in and you can drive your new truck home from Hilton Head...Chip
Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

no dog in this fight as I tow with a 1996 GMC 3500 but it seems most people like to make the argument that it will pull the load and the trailer has great brakes so it works. personally I want a truck I can stop if and or when the trailer brakes fail. I have had surge brakes and EOH fail on me on well maintained trailers and I want to know I can stop if I need to. also the 3/4 ton trucks will have better coolers, etc to help keep it alive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.