Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Best electric brakes for trailer? >

Best electric brakes for trailer?

Notices

Best electric brakes for trailer?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best electric brakes for trailer?

Looking for input on what works well and holds up to dunking. Sees like a pretty easy changeover from the surge brakes I have now. I only have the surge brakes on one axle and want to put electric on both for more control, brakes that work in reverse, and to dump the PITA lockout solenoid. I know EOH is the best system but I just don't feel it's needed on a trailer my size. Trailer and fully fueled boat is probably 9500 or so. Usually tow with a 3/4 ton diesel but just got a killer lease deal on a 1/2 ton and though I know it's about maxed out I would like to be able to tow with it as well if I choose to, good brakes are a must for that.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If you go with the EoH you won't have to rip the hydraulics out that are on there now; and can just tap into them to add the second axle.4

EoH is a far superior braking system than any of these setups. I guarantee you will be happy with the EoH investment, especially since you are downsizing the truck.

I have towed 12,000 lbs. of horse trailer with electric brakes. and 12,000 lbs of boat with EoH brakes behind the same dually. I can stop the boat/EoH in about 2/3s or less the distance vs. the horse trailer/electric.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered

After some thought and research maybe I should do EOH. I have hydraulic disc brakes on one axle, can I just use them, add to the other axle and switch from the surge coupler to a standard one with EOH controller? Would not be too costly if I can use existing plumbing and brakes.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Registered

Oops, caught your reply late sydways, answered my question. Any EOH stuff better than others? Will the older controller in my d-max and the factory one in the new Chevy work on an EOH pump?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Brake Rite is the one the better trailer manufacturers install. (Myco and the like.)

IF your truck does not work immediately with the factory controller and EoH, you might have to add a pigtail to the system. Myco keeps them in stock and I'm sure Brake Rite or their reseller will have them.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

You can buy your second axle brakes and the T and such from www.championtrailerparts.com
They are very helpful and have some good info on their site.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
If you go with the EoH you won't have to rip the hydraulics out that are on there now; and can just tap into them to add the second axle.4

EoH is a far superior braking system than any of these setups. I guarantee you will be happy with the EoH investment, especially since you are downsizing the truck.

I have towed 12,000 lbs. of horse trailer with electric brakes. and 12,000 lbs of boat with EoH brakes behind the same dually. I can stop the boat/EoH in about 2/3s or less the distance vs. the horse trailer/electric.
What elect brake controller were you using? It makes a big difference.Did the horse trailer have brakes on all axles like it should? or just one or two of three axles? I have straight elect on my boat trailer if I crank up the juice I could easily lock all four wheels on the trailer at hwy speeds. I have to be careful on the setting to make sure the trailer doesnt brake too hard.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

EOH!!!!!!!

I have a Brand new Tekonsha Prodigy P3 new in the box if you need one. It has a setting for EOH.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I have the www.maxbrake.com controller in my truck. It's actually a Hydraulic over Electric over Hydraulic system with this controller. It taps into one of the lines coming off of the master cylinder and senses the brake pressure you are applying with the pedal, turns it to an electric signal (which you can attenuate with the controller) and then get's converted back to hydraulic with the EoH on the trailer.

I put a long post up a few years ago, but this system is better than the two other types of controllers: Pendulum and On/Off.
Pendulum senses how much your truck is slowing, and sends a corresponding signal to the trailer. The problem there is if you truck starts sliding, it's not slowing and your trailer brakes are not slowing.
On/Off brakes are not bad, but I tend to stop at different rates; not just an even soft, medium, or hard; which is how you have to set the controller up.

I was forced into two 70mph to 0 emergency stops within 5 miles; back to back on Sunday this past week; which just happened to be right after I installed new pads on the Myco trailer and new slotted rotors/Hawk Pads on the dually. I had to push my sunglasses back on each time. I don't feel as though electric brakes would have done this; and I know surge brakes would not have.