Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2010 Cadillac Ext w/ 6.2L AWD Tow/Haul function questions/concerns. >

2010 Cadillac Ext w/ 6.2L AWD Tow/Haul function questions/concerns.

Notices

2010 Cadillac Ext w/ 6.2L AWD Tow/Haul function questions/concerns.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2010 Cadillac Ext w/ 6.2L AWD Tow/Haul function questions/concerns.

I have a 2010 EXT that is new to me with the 6.2L AWD. Lately I have been using it to tow my boat which is about 6000 lbs. It pulls like a dream, plenty of power and good ride. I use the tow/haul mode. I have found that when decelerating, with minor braking, and especially down hill, that the transmission will downshift 1 sometimes 2 gears and run the engine up to approximately 4,000-4,500 rpms to engine brake. It is way overkill in my opinion, and I would rather use more brake than have the engine racing like that. I called my local GM dealer and he can't tell me if this is normal or not. So i'm looking for some first hand experience from other owners or mechanics that can tell me if this is correct or if I have a prblem. I don't mind the 1 gear down shift, but i find 2 ridiculous.

I guess the alternative is to not use tow/haul, but there are many benefits to this function. The racing engine on deceleration is just a side effect that i'm not fond of.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a yukon denali with the same powertrain and ive found its better to pull in manual 4 around town, and regular drive on the highway. unless you have a lot of elevation changes, or a really heavy boat, tow/haul mode seems to be overkill.

my 23ft boat weighs around 4800 with the trailer.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a Yukon Denali with the same drivetrain. What you are experiencing is normal. While it might seem overkill, it helps alot with heavy loads when going down long grades. Keep in mind, your towing at much less than the capacity of the truck which is why it appears excessive. I feel the same way you do when towing lesser loads and then appreciate it once again when pulling my Formula. Anyway, best of luck with your new truck! It's a great vehicle.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal behavior for that setup. 4500rpm will not hurt that motor. You might be pushing it at 7K but the computer will not let that happen. Carry on....
Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my 2008 EXT with a new 2013 EXT. I feel it’s the perfect all around, everyday vehicle for me. I don’t tow my boat with it but I do tow various smaller trailers, up to ~7,000 lb at times, and what you are experiencing is perfectly normal and should not be harmful to the vehicle. Keep in mind that your 6.2L makes 403 HP @ 5700 RPM and 417 torque @ 4300 RPM so turning it at 4500 should not be a problem. I prefer use as little brake as possible while towing.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Your other option is to run it in manual mode on the grades so you can control up and down shifts. I would NOT reccomend pulling 6k lb without using the tow/haul mode.