Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2014 GMC Sierra...better MPG than Eco Boost >

2014 GMC Sierra...better MPG than Eco Boost

Notices

2014 GMC Sierra...better MPG than Eco Boost

Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I was one the unlucky ones, I had an 11 eco fx4 package nice truck for sure that not anywhere near the fuel economy that it was supposed to...so I switched and got a 12 Cummins and couldn't be happier. as an example say the ferd cost me 115+120$ to fill up I would get at the best 550 Km to a tank the Cummins coat roughly the same 120-125$ to fill and I'm getting 800+ kms to a tank. This is mixed city and hwy

Fir sure the ferd has a bit of a nicer ride but I'm real impressed with dodge, it's a beast with 800 ft tq
Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by flysfloatsor
There is a 2013 f150 Limited Eco-boost that im just recently seeing in the parking lot at work. Its literally the nicest truck Ive ever seen. Did a 2500 mile Upper Penensula hunting trip in my buddies 2012 Chevy 1500 crew cab LTZ last winter - it was, Meh... Fuel Economy, Meh... Interior, Meh... Exterior, Meh... Front Seats were comfortable though.
I'm looking at the limited with 6.2 liter really hard after seeing one.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
Andy...how does it do towing your boat?
Towing to me is what this does best. On a 9 day trip to Florida with boat, trailer, luggage, etc, I decided to pay the 10 bucks to scale it at a truck stop. Total weight was 17,800LBS. I was very please with how it handled the mountains and my wife's driving. Keep in mind, she's a gear head like me and knows nothing under 75 even while towing. Was not a fan of that... Average fuel economy was 12 on the whole trip.

I wish i had a chance to tow my boat with an ecoboost as a comparison. Maybe in another 70,000 miles or 2 years.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
I have a 2010 F-150 with the 5.4L. no complaints at all. This is my daily driver and my office with 105K on it. Currently the only issue I've had was a re-flash for harsh down shifts into 1st gear when cold (winter only). Apparently, this effected the early 2010 6 speed select shift models only. Mine has 3:73 gears and they way I drive it (not like a old man) gets 18.5 freeway and 15.4 city. Respectful for a 6180LBS 4 door truck. I've almost always own GM's until this truck purchase. For me the whole bail out thing coupled with grossly overly stated gas mileage by experience, 5.3 liter china oil pump failure (google it, not cool at all) and tranny slip jerking at 90K. As for towing, hands down Ford has this thing dialed in. First, while braking the trans actually down shifts automatically. Next, tow haul mode actually allows lock up going down hills or light loads. Subsequently, the fuel mileage in much better during towing.

Mostly people buy the brand they like either for styling or loyalty but for me i'll never go back to GM. After owning many GM's I would be highly skeptical of the gas mileage claim and towing vs. eco boost. There's a reason the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle since 1995.

Good luck on your search.
Ford as best selling is laughable! Combine Chevy and GMC sales...GM crushes Ford sales.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
Ford as best selling is laughable! Combine Chevy and GMC sales...GM crushes Ford sales.
I know the #'s are a year old but.............................................
Americans love their trucks. That was especially true in 2012, when U.S. buyers consumed nearly 2 million pickups. With a dominating lead of more than 200,000 units over runner-up Chevrolet Silverado, the Ford F-Series was America’s best-selling truck last year at 645,316 pickups sold.

2013 Chevrolet Silverado front three quarter2 300x187 imageThough the Chevrolet Silverado, which moved 418,312 units in 2012, was massively outsold by the Ford F-Series, if you combine its total with the 157,185 sales of platform-mate and fourth-place finisher GMC Sierra, the gap is closed significantly.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/american-f...#ixzz2codYZ1Sb
Follow us: @MotorTrend on Twitter | MotortrendMag on Facebook
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

DEARBORN, MI—The Ford Motor Company announced Wednesday that it has developed a new SUV that will be powered exclusively by gasoline, a 100 percent reliable, oil-based energy source. “We’re very proud to introduce the Ford Petrola, a vehicle that runs on a specialized fuel derived almost entirely from naturally occurring organic compounds,” said Raj Nair, the company’s vice president of global product development. “Whether you’re commuting to work or heading out for a little adventure on the weekend, just fill the Petrola with gasoline and you’ll be ready to go. Best of all, this pure hydrocarbon fuel source is currently available at more than 100,000 filling stations across America.” Nair also noted that prototypes of the new vehicle have been able to travel more than 300 miles on a single “power charge” of gasoline.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
Yes we do plus they put some new deicer liquid/ syrup on the roads. Its some nasty stuff! I really like the F150 limited 6.2 liter with a towing capacity of11,000lbs! I don't buy trucks for gas mileage.
Dude you need to call me! I work at Fox Ford!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Well your buddy either lies or can't do math!

No way are you averaging over 17 pulling a loaded car trailer unless it is a one way downhill trip! This was Car and Driver's experience with the 2014 5.3/ 4X4. They averaged 13 mpg while in their possession.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ab-test-review
I have to eat some crow...I questioned my coworker once again and he said I misunderstood what he said.
He said he averages 17mpg...but not on that trip hauling the car.
He got 13.5 then.
So, I'm making an appointment with my ENT and have my hearing checked as soon as I get over the flying squirts from eating all of this crow on my plate.
Sorry for the false info.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun 2 Stepp
I have to eat some crow...I questioned my coworker once again and he said I misunderstood what he said.
He said he averages 17mpg...but not on that trip hauling the car.
He got 13.5 then.
So, I'm making an appointment with my ENT and have my hearing checked as soon as I get over the flying squirts from eating all of this crow on my plate.
Sorry for the false info.

No sweat.....I have driven full size trucks daily for almost 20 years V6/V8 and diesel and I have probably 500K miles between the group so I have done plenty of MPG math....

Thanks for the clarification though!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Towing to me is what this does best. On a 9 day trip to Florida with boat, trailer, luggage, etc, I decided to pay the 10 bucks to scale it at a truck stop. Total weight was 17,800LBS. I was very please with how it handled the mountains and my wife's driving. Keep in mind, she's a gear head like me and knows nothing under 75 even while towing. Was not a fan of that... Average fuel economy was 12 on the whole trip.

I wish i had a chance to tow my boat with an ecoboost as a comparison. Maybe in another 70,000 miles or 2 years.

Odd part is I have the same truck, same motor, same year but 2WD and I can't get better than 14-16 empty (no trailer/ no weight in the truck) at 75 mph......drop to 55-60 and it gets 18-19 empty. I bought the truck new, has 31K miles on it now. Regular around town is 12.6ish which is about the same as a 1500 5.3 GMC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.