Notices

Eco Boost...Max tow or not?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Eco Boost...Max tow or not?

Thinking that I have settled on an Eco Boost for my next vehicle. I'm calling around and finding a max tow package is a pain in the ass. Seems every one I do find has to come from outside Texas.

That said I know I want the package if I can find it. But if I can't, will one without it tow my 32 Sunsation with twin small blocks okay? Using the dry weight of 6500 and accounting for trailer, gear, fuel and crew I'm still good technically.

Of course an F-250 would be better but I drive 27,000 miles a year and only tow to a couple poker runs. It is usually in the slip.

Just curious what the Eco Boost guys think.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

If I remember correctly Max Tow gives you heavier rear springs? If so, and you don't want to run air bags, then I would get it. The rear springs on a non-Max Tow F-150 suck in terms of supporting any kind of tongue weight.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a 2012 FX4 without the max tow, and the only difference on mine is the mirrors and electronic brake controller...other than that, everything else (at least on paper) is the same...Shocks, tranny cooler, 3.73 rear, etc.

HOWEVER, I believe this changed on the 2013's...From what I've seen you can only get the EB & 3.73 rear when ordered with the Max Tow package. Probably did this to lessen the confusion (as I had on mine)

The stock rear now on the FX4 is a 3.55 and the Lariats/Platinums/XLT's typically have the 3.31. You might be ok with the 3.55 but I wouldn't want the 3.31. Ideally though, I think for your 32 you'd want the 3.73 rear. Mine pulls my 30 great, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger.

BTW, if you end up looking at used, the electronic locking 3.73 axle code is "L6" which is on the inside of the driver door where the tire info is typically listed.

Last edited by ziemer; 08-29-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Does te fx4 have the ecoboost option or is that the 5.4? I've heard the 5.4 was underpowered a bit?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I have a 2010 FX-4 with the 5.4L and 3.73 locker. You heard correct. A tad bit underpowered.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
Does te fx4 have the ecoboost option or is that the 5.4? I've heard the 5.4 was underpowered a bit?
2011 started the EB option. 5.4 has been replaced with the 5.0 in the new trucks. 4 engine options now...3.7 V6, 5.0 V8, 3.5 TT V6, 6.2 V8. FX4 is standard with the 5.0 with the EB as an option.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
I've got a 2012 FX4 without the max tow, and the only difference on mine is the mirrors and electronic brake controller...other than that, everything else (at least on paper) is the same...Shocks, tranny cooler, 3.73 rear, etc.

HOWEVER, I believe this changed on the 2013's...From what I've seen you can only get the EB & 3.73 rear when ordered with the Max Tow package. Probably did this to lessen the confusion (as I had on mine)

The stock rear now on the FX4 is a 3.55 and the Lariats/Platinums/XLT's typically have the 3.31. You might be ok with the 3.55 but I wouldn't want the 3.31. Ideally though, I think for your 32 you'd want the 3.73 rear. Mine pulls my 30 great, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger.

BTW, if you end up looking at used, the electronic locking 3.73 axle code is "L6" which is on the inside of the driver door where the tire info is typically listed.

Not completely true. Mirrors which are very nice by the way, and the brake controller are two of the things for max tow, which doesnt mean you can haul more, but you get a upgraded rear bumper on max tow which actually means the whole hitch area and how its secured and this has all been true since 2011 when I bought my mine, the power pack, and capabilities have not changed on the eco boost. But if you do some digging in the forums(which who knows to be true or not) guys have found the steering ration to be better on max tow, as well as the leaf springs are different on the max tow, they look the same but have different part codes on them. Which I tend to beleive as reinforcing the hitch/bumper isnt going to give you another 1600lbs, but what do I know.

You also need to have 3.73s to get max tow. Now you can get max payload which i think is like 2800lbs, now that is a totally different suspension. Just order one from the factory, took me about 6 weeks to get mine.

7-Wire Harness & 4-/7-Pin Connector – on max tow and regular towing package

Trailer Wiring Harness (4-Pin) on STD no tow package only

Hitch Receiver –MAX tow and Regular tow package CL V HITCH

Aux. Auto Trans. Oil Cooler – MAX and Regular tow pckage

Radiator Upgrade – MAX and Regular tow package

Upgraded Rear Bumper MAX TOW

Trailer Brake Controller MAX Tow

Trailer Sway Control, STD on max tow and regular tow, available on no package.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...-ecoboost.html

also read through that, I started that two years ago.

Last edited by soldier4402; 08-29-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Cap'n!

I have a 2011 F250 Lariat with a 6.7 and the girlfriend has a '13 F150 Ecoboost with the Max Tow. While I only have a 288, the F150 pulls the boat just fine and would with the 32 as well.

However, having pulled it with the F250 and seeing the two trucks side by side (the F150 looks like a ranger or small Cadillac besides it) I personally wouldn't want to pull a 32 with a F150. Again, the F150 has all the power and amenities to make it happen, I've personally been spoiled by the larger footprint and the power that the 6.7 offers.

I also average roughly 22-23k miles per year. Off the dashboard she averages 15mpg and I'm pulling nearly 19mpg. Big difference and similar driving situations but she does have a heavy foot.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's part of the reason I think they yanked the 3.73 as standard in the FX4...I couldn't find the differences you listed from Ford, nor could the dealer confirm. Not saying it isn't true, just that Ford didn't do a great job explaining the differences in the Max and Std tow packages.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh yes I've read that Eco Boost thread twice...helped sell me on the idea too.

Originally Posted by ziemer

Your post made me look at the FX4s...damn those are nice, seems like a ton of options and would fill the bill for all the comforts. As far as towing...it looks like I would be hard pressed to find the 3.73 or max tow. I am going to guess your boat is heavier than mine with the big blocks and I don't know if Velocity includes the swim platform like Sunsation does on the measurement. So really no complaints towing with your rear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.