Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
My new F-750! need insurance now..WTF? >

My new F-750! need insurance now..WTF?

Notices

My new F-750! need insurance now..WTF?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Precision
I have a friend that is a state cop in Illinios. I asked him about this today and he pulled out his copy of the IVC (Illionios Vehical Code), it states that any diver operating a rig that weighs 16,001 lbs to 26,000 lbs. is required to carry a Class C license. For combinations above 26,001 lbs. require a Class A. It should be noted that you are only required to carry a CDL (Comercial Drivers Licence) Class A or C if you are traveling for commerce. If you are traveling for recreation you can get a non-CDL class A or C.
Good post, I think the big confusion comes with C of DL.

GoHorseShow.com received information that may be helpful regarding having to get a CDL license to haul your horse trailer. Bob Redmond at the Federal Motorcarrier Safety Administration in Washington DC said that as far as a National rule goes--as long as you are not in commerce you do not need a CDL license.

Redmond did say, however, that most officers (police) are not very well educated on the law. Some law enforcement officers just go by the rule that anyone hauling a trailer with a GVW of 26000 pounds or greater must have a CDL.

We asked how non professionals can explain to an officer if they are stopped that they are not required to have a CDL and he said it's difficult, however, if they were to get ticketed, they would probably be able to fight it and win--as it is not a business. That of course is no consolation if the officer does not let you continue on your way.

If you have anymore questions, you can contact the Federal Motorcarrier Safety Administration at 1-800-832-5660 for more information

Here is the entire article, be it for horses, non the less it doesn't matter what the truck is pulling. The phone number is listed and the FMSCA will be able to answer all the questions.

http://www.gohorseshow.com/article/G..._License/34603

Last edited by TW720HVY; 12-24-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's little story. I just got a cancel letter in the mail. The careless driving ticket I got in my car last spring, caused them to cancel my commercial insurance. It's a k30 cab and chassis pickup with a dump box. Smaller than a new 1 ton dually. But it was built as an incomplete truck, like a 650/750/top kick/Kodak. Progressive wanted over $2000 a year for a truck I may drive 500 miles a year. Just some food for thought for anyone purchasing one of these trucks.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I got Progessive on my Volvo 50K GVW SEMI. When I applied I was talking to agent and commented that it sux that I couldn't wait a month, I had a 3 year old ticket that was dropping off record. The agent checked and said, "Hmmm that actually came off 3 days ago and so that saves you $250 for he 6 month premium. Note: that is the only ticket I have and the premium was for liability ONLY. Mine is $1600 year and I drive less that 500 miles per year. That was Oklahoma rate. Now that I'm in Texas, I have not checked my renewal rates yet.
SO, yes the insurance rates for commercial vehicles are outrageous.
Considering the idea that a 38 TG is over the 10,000 lb special license limit for some states, it makes the laws for towing and CDL a bit difficult to comply with.
Plus with a CDL license in some states the BUI/DUI limit is ZERO TOLERANCE.
Sip a glass of wine with lunch and get pulled over with a picky patrolman and that 0.001 BAC just cost you your license.

Last edited by OPIE272; 12-29-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Open intoxicant will net you the same on a cdl. Even if you are not the one drinking. I had a guy I used to work with get a ticket for it. The company we worked for couldn't insure him for 5 years. We hauled haz-mat. My current rate on my dump was $440 for 6 months. Now it's in someone else's name for the insurance. Same insurance agent, he just needed someone with that clear record. Now my 1 ton dodge that grosses more on the build sticker is only 240+/- for 6 months. Wtf!!??
Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sorry if I'm dragging this up a bit late. Some good info and advice on here and some not so good.

From what I can tell from past experience, both sides of the fence fall into two categories. Those that have had an issue with a "truck cop", and those that haven't - yet. I have a 330 Pete Schwalbe conversion, and now a F-750 on the way from Ford and like some others here, I used to think I was fine without a non commercial Class A license. I didn't want a full CDL because I'm not commercial, and NC doesn't seem to offer a non commercial CDL (Class A). Some states just don't it seems.

I've been through this on the wrong side. There are a few common misunderstandings:

Drivers like us - a lot of us think its how much weight we are driving / towing. This is inaccurate. The weight ruling and requirement is based on the GVWR stickers on the truck, plus the trailer (not the registration, unless there is no GVWR sticker on the trailer). So if the OEM truck sticker plus the trailer sticker from the trailer manufacturer say over 26k lbs combined (adding the two together), you are not legal to drive that combo on a Class C license. The total combo (or single) GVWR sticker(s) is what defines legality, whether you are empty or full. It doesn't matter one bit how much what you are driving or towing that day actually weighs (unless you are also over 26k lbs of course).

The other misunderstanding often comes from info given to us by supposed experts in law enforcement. Many cops don't actually know the law in this area. They are as bad at understanding it as many of us are. So bad info gets handed around, and becomes "truth" to some of us, because we heard it from Johnny Law. But, the cop that will bust you will know the law and he will enforce it. He will likely be the cop that pulls you over close to a weigh station on the interstate. Those "trucker cops" know the law, and they are just doing their job. They will most certainly give you a ticket no matter what else you have heard from anyone else, if the rated weight GVWR exceeds your license. They will also most likely park you up and tell you a CDL or non commercial Class A driver will have to come and get the truck to drive it away.

If the truck like my Pete 330 or F750 is rated at less than 26k lbs GVWR from the manufacturer when it was built, you can drive it legally in some states if it doesn't have air brakes and isn't towing anything. Some states require a separate air brake endorsement. Some other states don't have that endorsement available, so you are still legal to drive a sub 26k GVWR rated truck in those states with air brakes. The key is if this is your plan, to make sure of the GVWR rating on the truck before you buy it. But let's face it, most of us buy a truck like this to tow our stuff, and as soon as you tow anything with it you probably just exceeded the combined 26k GVWR ratings.

The last issue becomes the state towing length laws. Every state has different length laws varying from 60 feet overall to 75 feet overall. You can be legal in your home state, but not when you leave the state with the same set-up. These state laws are another thing the "truck cops" can nail you on.
There is only one way around State length laws, and that is when they are trumped by Federal length laws, as Federal law trumps State law (Unless you grow weed in Colorado or California I guess). Federal law allows for no overall length limit, as long as the truck and trailer can be considered a "tractor unit". Now you understand the benefits and popularity of the Western Hauler type truck beds and fifth wheel trailers, as they can fall under the tractor unit type classification and therefore under Federal length laws. Any bumper pull type set-up will always be classified under a State law, and therefore in many States limited to 60 or 65 feet overall. Yes, many of our boats with tow vehicles and tag trailers are illegal and over length in many States if your boat is big enough.

For a long time law enforcement hasn't cared that many of us have been illegal for some time, knowing that we are non commercial and pleasure use only. But now with some States struggling to meet State budgets, they are starting to care a lot more. This is free revenue, all they have to do is enforce an existing law that has been on their books forever. More and more of us are being hit with tickets for incorrect licenses and overall length infractions.

To the OP, your truck is badass. I'm sure you have a badass boat to put behind it. Good for you man, I'm sure you worked your ass off to have nice toys. You don't have to take my word for it, so look into what I said here for yourself. Go talk to the cops at your local interstate truck weigh station and understand what you need to not have Johnny Law ruin your fun weekend on the way to go boating? Trust me, nowadays many of those "trucker cops" are looking hard at guys like us with these trucks.

I hope me spending half an hour writing all this crap might have been useful to somebody in OSO land :-)
Old 01-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Good information Rookie. What hurts is trying to keep up with each states laws as you travel. Good at home get a ticket next door. I have considered making a LOTO Shootout run as a spectator. Decided it wasn't worth the $ and issues crossing state lines.
TW720HVY ---
Thanks for the link for TX. I only checked OK DOT and asked "tribal knowledge" on the TX side because I was only a sneaking over the line to Texoma. But from what you pointed out, I'm not legal.
Guess I'm gonna have to go sit for 2 hours at DOT and get an update.
Hey, I gotta big truck for sale! Know anyone who needs one? Lol
Old 01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

OPIE272 -

You don't have to sell your truck. If the boat is big enough (long enough) you still have to tow it legally somehow. The best way to ensure no tickets takes three things:

1. Use a Western Hauler type truck bed, so it qualifies as a "tractor unit" under Federal transport law (no conventional truck bed like a dually or pick-up truck). In your case I think you already have that covered with that Volvo

2. Get either a full CDL, or a non commercial Class A if they are available in your State.

3. If necessary to match the tow rig, convert the boat trailer to fifth wheel instead of bumper pull. Or buy a new trailer, whichever makes the most sense.

With the above covered, anyone can go anywhere with any length boat in the USA and wave at the weigh stations as you roll by down the interstate.
Downside is if you have a beer with lunch and get pulled over for them to check out your deal. But in my experience, if you are on a fifth wheel type set-up they pretty much leave you alone most of the time if you don't look commercial, because you "look legal". There is no reason to stop at weigh stations because you are not commercial, so no reason for them to talk to you unless you do something dumb.

Now as soon as you put a race number on the side of your boat, everything changes. Now you have the capability to create revenue (prize money, sponsors, whatever) so a trucker cop having a bad day will try to say you are full commercial. Yup, I've been on the wrong side of that one too - just not with a boat. And I lost.

Ok, I'll shut up now
Old 01-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Registered

TW720HVY....
Would that have reference to STL-LGW?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

I guess I have a couple of things going for me.
Western hauler type bed,
Kingpin or gooseneck capable trailer. Depends on what insert I mount to trailer. It is Not a bumper pull.
Truck has semi kingpin plate, 30K gooseneck ball, and a receiver hitch for bumper pulling.
I can pretty much pull any type trailer. My gooseneck is typically too high for most trailers because it's incorporated into bed. If I was going to use it more, I would cut out and step down the ball and make it more functional/versatile.
Running Detroit 60 up front. Eaton 10sp with tandem Eaton 2 speed axles.

Needs paint, but it runs great.

Last edited by OPIE272; 01-25-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Registered

I would post pic of when I was attaching bed, but I'm not allowed to.