Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
New 2015 Ford Super Duty Unveiled, Bigger Turbo... >

New 2015 Ford Super Duty Unveiled, Bigger Turbo...

Notices

New 2015 Ford Super Duty Unveiled, Bigger Turbo...

Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
So Ford makes an entire Advertisement based on ZERO facts.
This was not a test of any relevance and does nothing to change their Stumble in the Rockies performance from 2011.

Vehicle is Pre-production and Ford has not released ANY hard numbers!
They have not even released whether they will actually step up and use the SAE tow standards.

Waiting for next month's "38 years in a row as America's Best Selling Truck" (As long as you don't include GMC's near identical vehicle sales numbers)

Nice wax job Ford........
I think you forgot the rumble in the rockies was done by GM. It's like politics, they all do the same thing.

Either way at this point I think for 95% of the people any of the new trucks will do the job and with GM upgrading interiors they all are VERY nice.

Of course this is coming from a guy still driving a modified 1996,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the only thing I beat them on is old school cool and the stereo.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I think you forgot the rumble in the rockies was done by GM. It's like politics, they all do the same thing.

Either way at this point I think for 95% of the people any of the new trucks will do the job and with GM upgrading interiors they all are VERY nice.

Of course this is coming from a guy still driving a modified 1996,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the only thing I beat them on is old school cool and the stereo.
From the Rumble -
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...e-rockies.html
"Ford declined, but the bowtie boys decided to press forward and invited PickupTrucks.com and Diesel Power magazine to witness the test.

We agreed with a few conditions: Chevrolet had to use test trucks purchased off the lot from Chevy and Ford dealers and the Super Duty had to have the 400/800 power ratings. They couldn't come from GM's captive test fleet and the trucks had to be as "apples-to-apples" as possible when it came to features and equipment. While Chevrolet originally wanted to test three-quarter-ton HD pickups — the heart of the HD market — we had to use one-ton trucks because that was the only way to match equivalent rear axle ratios of 3.73. We also had to drive and instrument the trucks to measure the results ourselves. Chevy reps would be along for the ride.

How equivalent were the trucks? They were probably the most evenly matched HD pickups we've tested. "
The Rumble was as much about overall control as racing up the hill and GM was deemed better in more aspects by independent evaluators.

I would agree, they are all three are above what most people will ever use and most is chest thumping. All I ask is the test is even and the winner can thump.
They will all make it up the hill. But why cant Ford just come out with SAE tow values?
I would like to see EGT's, trans temps and rear end temps. These are going to be some of the longer term indicators of good design.
Downhill and corner control?
I know these factors don't make for sensational 30 sound bites........
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

So Ford makes an entire Advertisement based on ZERO facts.
This was not a test of any relevance and does nothing to change their Stumble in the Rockies performance from 2011.

Vehicle is Pre-production and Ford has not released ANY hard numbers!
They have not even released whether they will actually step up and use the SAE tow standards.

Waiting for next month's "38 years in a row as America's Best Selling Truck" (As long as you don't include GMC's near identical vehicle sales numbers)

Nice wax job Ford........
fanatical nascar fan....
Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Chargeit, just an FYI Ford out sells both Chevy & GMC combined in both total truck sales & in heavy duty truck sales. Do you homework next time bud ��

http://m.motortrend.com/wot/american...12-310663.html
http://m.autoblog.com/2013/02/26/who...ckuptrucks-co/
Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done my homework and posted on the stats before.
FORD skews the numbers in their marketing favor larger and more frequently than other auto makers. Obviously firm believers in the marketing ploy, "if you say it, the sheeple will believe it"

Clearly Ford prefers to tout a two tone, Ford vs Chevy - 645k to 418k. This is what you see in Ford marketing, OMG a 54% difference!
Ford has also chosen not to market in the US, a design outside of the traditional 4 sided truck box and cab. So they ignore both GMC and other open bed models.
Just because Ford continues to subscribe to Henry's "any color you want as long as its black" mentality does not mean that is how the rest of the world choses to live.
TOTAL half ton+ truck sales of Ford vs GM in 2012 - 645k to 601k, not nearly as impressive; only 7% greater. The difference becomes even less when "mid-size" truck sales are included as Ford has chosen to abandon this segment of the US market as well.

Ford will not publish their tow capacities under the SAE J2807 standards first agreed upon in 2008 and changed slightly in Sept 2010. Its just a test, run it and that is the best number - easy. But Ford is procrastinating until their "all new" models roll outs. Why? One can only assume it is because their self assigned tow capacities were shamefully higher than what could be achieved using the SAE Standard. Toyota does, Dodge and GM did release, knowing their numbers would take a hit too but balked when Ford chickened out.

For the Rumble, editors went to great lengths to provide an even, unbiased matchup and provided the DATA TO PROVE IT.

In Ford's latest ADVERTISEMENT they use a Truck not in production and the only thing they disclose is the higher gear ratios. I am not opposed to a mfg offering job specific packages but running a "test" with no specifics is not a Test. I don't have a problem with 4:30 gears, some have implied the difference in ratios may be less an issue if tire sizes are taken into account. Run a true test with equal gearing and tires like the Rumble did or choose the best combination offered by each mfg. I don't care, just make it legit, quantify and qualify.
Also, if they are trying to say they are improved over the 2011 test, why shorten it to only 4 miles instead of the original 7.6 mile points?

BTW, I have never watched a complete NASCAR race, I find it as boring as golf. I think most of the public is smart enough to know NASCAR cars are zero representative of the vehicles on the road thus the old "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" has less relevance than it did 40 years ago.
The sound bite and one liner are today's preferred Advertisement and Ford is definitely King of that.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 11-28-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

TOTAL half ton+ truck sales of Ford vs GM in 2012 - 645k to 601k, not nearly as impressive; only 7% greater. .
Who gives a **** about half ton trucks. Half tons are for trips to day care and buying potted plants at Home Depot.

Not supporting ford here but marketing is always smoke, mirrors and statistics so in always take it with a grain....
Old 11-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So the most comfortable truck going 10 hours on the highway not towing anything would be

the 2015 F250 or
the 2015 Denali 2500

We travel in a 08 F350 SRW now. We love the cab room.

I just like having a big heavy vehicle to cart my family on long trips. If we were to ever get in a wreck I want the most mass.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

.There is a 2011 Ford Dually on Ebay with 336,000 miles... seems like a good test to me! still looks new! man that's a ton of miles in 2 years!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully Ford has finally found a reliable formula with their current 6.7. Having to completely change the diesel motor design every 3-4 years has provided very little in the way of a track record someone spending $50,000+ needs. It's not that the Cummins or Duramax are perfect(they both have their issues) but they sure have staying power and a darn good track record.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
.There is a 2011 Ford Dually on Ebay with 336,000 miles... seems like a good test to me! still looks new! man that's a ton of miles in 2 years!!!
Yeah but most of the over the road haulers use Ram/Cummins/6 spds........never see a Ford working like that and rarely a GM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.