Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer upgrades: tires and brakes...or new trailer? >

Trailer upgrades: tires and brakes...or new trailer?

Notices

Trailer upgrades: tires and brakes...or new trailer?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
I could do salt once maybe twice a year. What's the story on this?
Nothing better than the Kodiak Brakes with the SS calipers and the dacromet coated rotors; unless you want to spend the BIG coin on the SS rotors which is not necessary.
www.kodiaktrailer.com

Disc brakes are FINE in salt water. As a matter of fact, preferred in my mind.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some post on here that may be a little mis-leading. I also sell tire and wheels for a living and will always recommend a LT tire over a ST trailer tire any day. I have never seen a LT with less carrying capacity then a ST in the same size and load range. In fact I personally think that Firestone Transforce HT's are one of the best trailer tires out there in 15" and 16" size even though they were never designed for that. Now when taking about 14" tires like I have on my triple axle I will always go with a ST because there really isn't a LT made that would work for me and I don't have enough space to put 15" on without a lot of changes. Just never want to use a P-metric tire on a trailer unless you are in a real pinch and then only for a few miles. I have never seen anyone get sued because they had a hitch, truck, tire rated for more then what they were carrying; however, I have seen issues when they are on the opposite side of that equation. Also I would stay away from bias ply tires, there is a reason they do not put them on new cars and trucks anymore.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it that bias ply is bad, or that radial is better?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chart
Is it that bias ply is bad, or that radial is better?
Bias ply tires are not bad tires, just a complelty different design than a radial. They each have there plus's and minus's. Radial tires typically have a larger contact patch then a eqvialent bias ply tire more contact is always good, they also run cooler mainly because they have less belts in them. For example a 10ply light truck tire (load range E) in a radial will only have 3-5 (usually 4)actual belts in it depending on the manufacturer. A 10ply load range e bias tire really has 10 belts in it. Conversely, bias tires tend to have stiffer sidewalls which will help a trailer track straighter and be less prone to sway when a large truck passes or crosswind, although it is a marginal difference at best, some will argue that radials are better at reducing sway. Bias tires are typically cheaper than radials and could be a good choice if you only use a trailer a few times a year or short trips.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Questofpower
Bias ply tires are not bad tires, just a complelty different design than a radial. They each have there plus's and minus's. Radial tires typically have a larger contact patch then a eqvialent bias ply tire more contact is always good, they also run cooler mainly because they have less belts in them. For example a 10ply light truck tire (load range E) in a radial will only have 3-5 (usually 4)actual belts in it depending on the manufacturer. A 10ply load range e bias tire really has 10 belts in it. Conversely, bias tires tend to have stiffer sidewalls which will help a trailer track straighter and be less prone to sway when a large truck passes or crosswind, although it is a marginal difference at best, some will argue that radials are better at reducing sway. Bias tires are typically cheaper than radials and could be a good choice if you only use a trailer a few times a year or short trips.
What do you mean by "belts" in a Radial Tire?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What do you mean by "belts" in a Radial Tire?
Belts and plys are kind of an interchangeable term that us tire dummies use even though they are not the same (kind of like wheel and rim two different things). Generally a radially has belts, and a bias tire has plys.

The first picture is a radial tire cut away, the bottom belt or ply is the radial ply it runs 90* to the crown of the tire and wraps around each bead package at 90*. The plys or belts that are in the crown have a lot of names depending on the size and type of tire but common names are, transition ply, stabilizer ply and protector ply and there function is exactly what their name implies. Most LT and passenger tires do not use steel belts anymore most use polyester or rayon (rayon is just like nylon but maintains is size when heated). Big truck (semi) tires primarily use steel belts yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513036[/ATTACH]

The second picture is a bias ply tire notice all the plys or belts run at a 45* angle each ply will be laid in the opposite direction. One reason you can potentially have more issues with a bias tire vs. a radial is the construction process, every time you have another layer belt or ply there is the potential to trap air, or contamination between the belts. Trapped air or contamination will effect the cross linking usually done with sulfur. If you have 10plys that's ten times you have the potential vs. a radial only have 3-5 plys.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513037[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Trailer upgrades: tires and brakes...or new trailer?-image.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 35 fountain with a tandem axle Eagle with 235-85-16 load range E . three or four years with no problem with LT cooper tires.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thank you for the explanation QofP. I have not though of plys and belts as the same, but I can see how others have.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I need a new trailer also. Mine is steel and I feel underrated for what my boat weighs. McClain was about $800 cheaper than manning for a bolt together 12.5k trailer, manning was welded and 18k. But still a bit more than I want to spend. Going to check out texall trailers, they are built in Conroe so close to home and the seem reasonably priced and standard features are in par with McClain.