Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
6.2 420hp gas GMC SIERRA or 6.7 Ford Powerstroke??? >

6.2 420hp gas GMC SIERRA or 6.7 Ford Powerstroke???

Notices

6.2 420hp gas GMC SIERRA or 6.7 Ford Powerstroke???

Old 03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because they do not make it that far....
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnfharding
I would suggest going to a Ford forum and a Chevy forum and sniffing around for reliability info. I know some of the new 6.7 ps have had catastrophic engine failures due to the exhaust valve coming apart and getting ingested. Its hard to tell online if this is wide spread but according to a friend in the business it's not rare. Extreme heat cycling of the valves is too blame and this partly due to the exhaust regen process. I think ford has a killer truck but I'm not not dropping 50k on something I will be worried about after warranty. Ford has been good about fixing those under warranty. I didn't post this to start a war, it's just what I found when I was going to trade my Dodge. ( I just kept what I had)
this was only on the first models , since been updated valve on the later 6.7 other than that a very reliable engine .. like i said early build release engines .,
Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
this was only on the first models , since been updated valve on the later 6.7 other than that a very reliable engine .. like i said early build release engines .,
When you price premium fuel for the 6.2 diesel isn't that expensive,the 1500 isn't really a heavy duty truck and I found my 271 fastech pushed it around when towing.Now saying that I did tow for 2 years with no trouble lots of power but at times not a safe feeling,there is no stress towing with 2500 regardless of the brand torque brakes and longer wheelbase.Half ton trucks shouldn't be rated for such high ratings ,marketing is bs and safety seems to be the last thing we think about! Good luck with purchase
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
When you price premium fuel for the 6.2 diesel isn't that expensive,the 1500 isn't really a heavy duty truck and I found my 271 fastech pushed it around when towing.Now saying that I did tow for 2 years with no trouble lots of power but at times not a safe feeling,there is no stress towing with 2500 regardless of the brand torque brakes and longer wheelbase.Half ton trucks shouldn't be rated for such high ratings ,marketing is bs and safety seems to be the last thing we think about! Good luck with purchase
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Registered

I love my diesel when towing, but it is my last diesel there are too many issues with the emissions and such. Thanks to government emissions requirements. There is a reason resale on the old 5.9 cummins and 7.3 powerstrokes are so good. I just checked a few ford forums and I have seen enough to not trust them. Just like the issues with my Dodge, wouldn't do that either. Chevy have good drivetrains but I haven't had good luck with the electrical components. My next truck will be a Tundra and they have had some issues as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmz
Surprisingly no. The GMC with 4x4 and the 6.2 (same engine as Vette I think) gets expensive.
I just went to the Ford website and an XLT Crew Cab 4wd and 6.7 is about 56k including some options.

Wannabe
Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Drive them both. You'll end up in the ford every time. I love my 6.7. My cousin loved mine so much he unloaded his '13 Ltz dura max as soon as he found the right ford. The gmc line feels and drives like a compact compared to the ford.
Thats very true, the Fords drive like a semi truck, cant take a corner, and they cant stop if the road is less than glass smooth.

Lets not even talk about acceleration...

Carry on.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmz
Thanks, whats the real hwy mileage like towing and empty?
Honestly I have a very light foot. As I am very easy on my stuff but with a empty load and with the 3.73's I get around 17/18 ish. Towing is about 12-13. (boat is 6k lbs.) The farthest I go would be ocean city which is about a 3 hour drive. But I plan in the next 5 years to head south to Florida so that will be a huge test. But I also use my truck for other stuff besides towing the boat. Plus it is E-85 compatible! But it pulls its a$$ off even though it's 100% stock. I hope to install a 6" lift in a year or two with 35's so i'm enjoying the 18MPG now.

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 03-23-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling police might arrest me
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
what kinda mileage are u pulling? I'd like the same setup in a sierra
^^^^Sorry for a repost
Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

You definitely don't need a diesel for what you are towing. And I wouldn't pay much attention to what people have or have not towed with a pre-2014 gm half ton. The towing capacities made a nice jump in 2014. The new Chevy/gmc half ton can tow up to 12000 lbs with max trailer pack( 2wd, 3.73, and 6.2l). I believe it's 11,500 for 4wd. EPA fuel economy with the 6.2 is 14/20. Which is about what my friends with 6.7s are getting. Also, if you look at used prices, the 6.7s seem to be depreciating more. Also, does Ford come with 100k mile warranty yet? That may be a factor if you're planning on keeping it for a while. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.