Notices

To Lift Or Not To Lift

Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default To Lift Or Not To Lift

I purchased a 2014 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab Longhorn.

I'm interested in 22" American Force Independence Wheels with 325/50r22 Nitto M/T tires.

The above tire combo would require lifting/leveling. I'm told when you tow a heavy boat on a leveled truck, the ass will squat below the front and be difficult to control. Is this a legitimate concern? Thoughts?

Should I just go with the 285/55r22 Nitto M/T tires that would require no lifting leveling?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Larger, heavier, wheel/tire combinations reduce mileage, handling, and increase braking distance.
Lifting a vehicle increases drag reducing mileage and handling. Lifting can also be hard on the front
suspension.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I appreciate the advise. I can't help but want big and bad. If I were to do aftermarket shocks would that help? I would only do a 3" lift/level kit from Tuff Country.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

There are a bunch of threads on the pros/cons of 22 & 22.5 wheels/tires on duallys here on OSO. Do a search.

The biggest can is increased rolling mass results in decreased braking. THAT'S the part that needs to be overcome. I am running direct bolt on aluminum 19.5s and still had to do a brake upgrade on my dually.

Personally, I would not level the truck. I can't stand the look of a truck raked up in the front and down in the back. That's the way they tend to look once the springs settle in, especially if just leveled.

If it were me, go with the setup that fits with no leveling/suspension changes. Let the suspension settle in, and come time for replacement tires; then maybe address the suspension.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Airbags.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 6" Fabtech lift on my Silverado 2500. I have put 90K problem free miles on the truck. Granted, my boat isn't 36' but at 9000 lbs, it's a non-issue towing with the lift. The ass end doesn't squat, however, I set it up to mimic the stock stance. Meaning I have the back slightly higher than the front. If it were to squat, I would just add Firestone airbags in the rear to keep it level. I did that on my old 1/2 ton to keep it level. Very simple to install and use. As far as MPG goes, yes, you lose some with larger tires. But hey, you gotta pay to play right?!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Down here the a$$ down front up seems to be the look,,,, I hate it.i asked guess it's called bulldogging?

Just old school I like vehicles with just a bit of rake.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks Sydwayz and others. You're right there are other threads, in fact I started one last fall when I was thinking a different direction after purchasing the truck. Spring is here and I'm ready to buy and looking to make a regretless decision.

I could care less about fuel economy. But I'm concerned with function. I have a 75K new truck ( that hasn't been driven all winter), I don't want to F it up. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift it and put air bags on it. I've got 8" on my dually and its no less stable even pulling a 30k gooseneck. Still will stop on a dime and give you a nickel change!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

I love the look but when done cheaply you WILL mess up your 75k truck!

Spend big money to properly set up the ENTIRE suspension and brakes. Tuff country is not the answer. Getting the geometry correct is a challenge. Air bags are a MUST.

Good luck and keep us posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.