Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   To Lift Or Not To Lift (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/310124-lift-not-lift.html)

drypipetiger 03-25-2014 06:17 PM

To Lift Or Not To Lift

I purchased a 2014 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab Longhorn.

I'm interested in 22" American Force Independence Wheels with 325/50r22 Nitto M/T tires.

The above tire combo would require lifting/leveling. I'm told when you tow a heavy boat on a leveled truck, the ass will squat below the front and be difficult to control. Is this a legitimate concern? Thoughts?

Should I just go with the 285/55r22 Nitto M/T tires that would require no lifting leveling?

Thanks!

Wes Burmark 03-25-2014 06:54 PM

Larger, heavier, wheel/tire combinations reduce mileage, handling, and increase braking distance.
Lifting a vehicle increases drag reducing mileage and handling. Lifting can also be hard on the front
suspension.

drypipetiger 03-25-2014 07:00 PM

I appreciate the advise. I can't help but want big and bad. If I were to do aftermarket shocks would that help? I would only do a 3" lift/level kit from Tuff Country.

Sydwayz 03-25-2014 07:34 PM

There are a bunch of threads on the pros/cons of 22 & 22.5 wheels/tires on duallys here on OSO. Do a search.

The biggest can is increased rolling mass results in decreased braking. THAT'S the part that needs to be overcome. I am running direct bolt on aluminum 19.5s and still had to do a brake upgrade on my dually.

Personally, I would not level the truck. I can't stand the look of a truck raked up in the front and down in the back. That's the way they tend to look once the springs settle in, especially if just leveled.

If it were me, go with the setup that fits with no leveling/suspension changes. Let the suspension settle in, and come time for replacement tires; then maybe address the suspension.

Sunny32SSR 03-25-2014 07:34 PM

Airbags.

MonkeySea2 03-25-2014 07:36 PM

I have a 6" Fabtech lift on my Silverado 2500. I have put 90K problem free miles on the truck. Granted, my boat isn't 36' but at 9000 lbs, it's a non-issue towing with the lift. The ass end doesn't squat, however, I set it up to mimic the stock stance. Meaning I have the back slightly higher than the front. If it were to squat, I would just add Firestone airbags in the rear to keep it level. I did that on my old 1/2 ton to keep it level. Very simple to install and use. As far as MPG goes, yes, you lose some with larger tires. But hey, you gotta pay to play right?!

Wildman_grafix 03-25-2014 07:40 PM

Down here the a$$ down front up seems to be the look,,,, I hate it.i asked guess it's called bulldogging?

Just old school I like vehicles with just a bit of rake.

drypipetiger 03-25-2014 07:45 PM

Thanks Sydwayz and others. You're right there are other threads, in fact I started one last fall when I was thinking a different direction after purchasing the truck. Spring is here and I'm ready to buy and looking to make a regretless decision.

I could care less about fuel economy. But I'm concerned with function. I have a 75K new truck ( that hasn't been driven all winter), I don't want to F it up. Thanks!

Rbesola 03-25-2014 09:55 PM

Lift it and put air bags on it. I've got 8" on my dually and its no less stable even pulling a 30k gooseneck. Still will stop on a dime and give you a nickel change!

offshorexcursion 03-26-2014 12:11 AM

I love the look but when done cheaply you WILL mess up your 75k truck!

Spend big money to properly set up the ENTIRE suspension and brakes. Tuff country is not the answer. Getting the geometry correct is a challenge. Air bags are a MUST.

Good luck and keep us posted