Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
This is one reason why I'm getting rid of my 1/2 truck >

This is one reason why I'm getting rid of my 1/2 truck

Notices

This is one reason why I'm getting rid of my 1/2 truck

Old 05-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Sorry your not happy with your 1/2 ton truck. That's not really being fair to judge her that way though. Proper hitch height is necessary to tow with any truck. Proper loading of the trailer is also. No reason to bash the truck when its the trucks owner who loaded it Improperly. plus that's the base model stripped down truck. There are plenty of dodge ford GMC half tons equipped to handle loads better.

Congrats on your new HD tow rig but don't be surprised if that old sloppy worn out truck does not tow very well. Max out the payload of your new HD and watch her sag just as much. That's called suspension engineering....its what it does when loaded.
True the truck is a base model and 1600# payload and 7150# towing. Didn't think a 454 would drop it down so much. The 454 was dry and it was not fully dressed. How much is that? around 800lbs or so?

The F250 I got has 69k original miles on it and still runs and drives like new. When stuff does start to wear out and I have to replace parts in the suspension I won't mind. That truck is paid for and I'm getting rid of the Dodge so I will no longer have a payment.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Ha. I definitely would have squatted with the mulch or engines without the air bags. But my boat doesn't squat my truck with zero air in the bags.

In fairness that ford f350 prob had too low of a hitch, once that weight transfers over it will squat anything.

On anther note doing some driveway jockey work, my friends 2012 1500 Silverado with a 2 inch rise hitch hooked to my boat just about lifted the front wheels off the ground. I think the current chevys and dodges seem to be on the light family friendly side of trucks, the Fords and Toyota seem are visibly more stout.
From one Tundra owner to another, I can tell you that the TRD suspension is extremely stiff and has a log wagon ride unloaded. With the tongue weight on it, it rides like a non-TRD equipped Tundra unloaded. If I daily drove mine, it would bother me but I only use mine to pull the boat a couple times a year (less than 2k miles/year).
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Not saying you were but... I stopped responding after I've had a few. Less damage control needed.
No, I once was a very laid back jet skier/boater guy then I joined the CG at 24. 13 years of service has changed that. I don't have the patience I once did and small things piss me off more, lol! Plus the last four days I have been working on the boat all day in 90* heat and humidity with flies biting my head and face, so I'm sun burnt, sore and aggravated. I just quit working on the boat today (20 min ago) because my face and head are sore and bruised from slapping the flies. I got a lot of work left but I need to step back and relax.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like a pretty nice truck. Congrats on getting out of a payment! We live our lives debt free and really enjoy it.

I think its the combo of 454 in the bed and the trailer being off balance due to no weight on the rear anymore.

Post some pics when you get the new truck setup and hauling the boat.