Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38 >

2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38

Notices

2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38

Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If it's a DD, I can see the SRW appeal. I don't drive my DRW truck every day, not even close; and I live pretty rural.

But, getting a looooong truck helps with stability as well. Crew Cab and Long Bed will tow better than anything shorter in SRW.
IF the OP decides on a SRW, make sure its as long as possible. I don't even like Short Beds any more as they are too easy to fill up.

A 382 on a steel trailer is probably pushing 15K lbs. Aluminum: probably 14K lbs.
If it were me, I'd buy a DRW. Tim knows me well.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by high&Dry
+1

I drive a 2011 DRW as my daily driver, they really aren't that bad (well if it's a GMC anyway) Mine rides like a cadillac and tows like a dream! Now if I lived in a congested metro area I might rethink.............. parking can suck in busy areas. If you pull on the highway at high speeds or on alot of winding hills, you will definitely enjoy the stability of the dually better, just feels rock solid.
Yep. I DD mine every day as well. Rides great and fast as hell.

I have had one frustrating incident in a parking garage in Norfolk once.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 353Formula
I am looking to purchase a new truck just unsure if its better to have a drw or srw. I have a 353 formula. I am selling the 35 and buying a 382 what is better for towing?
Not sure if you're daily driving it or not. Only towing a 311 but the added stability is very nice. I love my dually but only use it for towing, the parking issue alone would make me not want it for everyday.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

A nice tight new 2015 SRW will easily and safely tow a 382. You can always upgrade to a higher load rated tire that is designed for towing/hauling and or install air bags. Yes a longer wheelbase is better.

What a lot of people forget is it doesn't matter how BIG your truck is if your trailer sucks. And MOST trailers are built poorly. The trailer is designed to handle the weight of the boat, control the load, and stop the boat. No different in a semi. Don't bs me about if you lose brakes. IF a semi looses trailer brakes the tractor is not going to stop the rig either.

Buy a SRW truck and spend the money savings upgrading the trailer. EOH brakes, good wheels, HD tires, proper axles, suspension, etc. Plus set up the truck and trailer properly.

Even more important is the driver behind the wheel!

DRW are designed for more weight carrying capacity in the bed of the truck, like a slide in truck camper. Tag boats DO NOT have enough tongue weight to require a DRW.

IF any of you are SOOO into a DRW truck then please go out and buy a tandem DRW boat Trailer. Right????? DRW are SOOOO much safer. LOL!

In all honesty the SAFEST way to tow is with a Fifth wheel or Gooseneck, tag is a JOKE after hauling with one of those.

Sydwayz, lets double team all these guys and recommend Fifth wheel and Gooseneck for Everyone from now on!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion

DRW are designed for more weight carrying capacity in the bed of the truck, like a slide in truck camper. Tag boats DO NOT have enough tongue weight to require a DRW.
The extra stability from a wider wheel base in the rear and having 4 wheels contact the road instead of 2 is priceless, I don`t know how anyone could argue with that.
Id never go back to a SRW.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
The extra stability from a wider wheel base in the rear and having 4 wheels contact the road instead of 2 is priceless, I don`t know how anyone could argue with that.
Id never go back to a SRW.
Your right I would not go from a newer nicer more HD DRW to a worn out older short wheelbase SRW SUV. That's not comparing apples to apples.

Please explain how a DRW is more stable when the trailer is connected to a BALL that allows it to pivot?

The trailer controls the load it carry's based on how stable its built........

A DRW is more stable when it has a SOLID load in the bed like a truck camper, dump bed, or load of cinder blocks.

You DRW lovers can keep dodging my questions or probe your love for DRW by

Buying a DRW trailer if DRW is so much better

If your going to preech saftey and better towing buy a fifth wheel or gooseneck

the fact is the typical woen out under built trailer hooked to a DRW truck is no better then a 2015 SRW hooked to a top of the line trailer.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Remember, you CAN get a 3500 in SRW.

I tow an old Top Gun with a 2013 3500 SRW, and daily drive it. I would really "like" to have a dually, but I do not believe it is necessary, and it wouldn't fit well in the parking garage at Indians games downtown.....
Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 AM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a a F350 long bed DRW Platinum. Been towing with a SRW for 10 years. DRW is hard to beat IMO.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Registered

DRW are badazz just some forget that most are long bed and weigh more. Then they compare them to a sub par SRW. The extra wheelbase and weight help a lot more then the 2 training wheels.

A brand new SRW LONG wheelbase especially with stronger wheels and tires really tows amazing.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 AM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
DRW are badazz just some forget that most are long bed and weigh more. Then they compare them to a sub par SRW. The extra wheelbase and weight help a lot more then the 2 training wheels.

A brand new SRW LONG wheelbase especially with stronger wheels and tires really tows amazing.
I agree the thing is they don't look that cool. I like my tow pig to look custom. A SRW long bed looks like a work truck to me. You can really make these new DRW trucks look kickass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.