Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Gas tow rig....possible? NEED DIESEL. >

Gas tow rig....possible? NEED DIESEL.

Notices

Gas tow rig....possible? NEED DIESEL.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow my 36 glad w/1500 chevy 6 speed auto works good just hard to stop and bad on gas.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

mild.i jus went through the truck buying merry go round.i am a old school dodge fan.my old 1500 4+4,5.7 did well through the years with my 27.when I moved up to a 10meter.the 1500 would pull it fine.....stoping was another story.I went shopping for another dodge .I decided on a 2500 series,4+4,long bed....8ft.I drove the 6.7 and the new 6.4 hemi.the 6.7 was over 7k more over the 6.4 gas.I drove both.the 6.4 is 410hp@5000/tq 429.the 6.7 was 350hp@3000/tq was 600.I talked to a few friends that own 6.7.the mpg towing was 10-16 depending on weight and road.i decided to go with the 6.4.towing my 10meter in the mountains w/1/2 tank of fuel in the boat I averaged 9-10 mpg.on flat roads I have seen 13mpg.i don't fly down the road55-65 when towing.i am happy with the 6.4.yes I do get a few looks when I pull up to the ramp from the oil burner guys,but,,,,i to am old enough to remember too that in the old days,oil burners were slugs,and big blocks ruled.oh yea,another thing.i like paying 3.15 for reg gas.insteed of 3.85 for oil.jus my 2cents
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My Dmax would downshift in the hills South of Jeff City pulling 8,200 lbs to LOTO. I must of had a defective one as everone else with a diesel truck says their torque converter never even unlocks on hills pulling 15K!! Oh yeah, that is while knocking down 22 MPG at 80 MPH!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Just curious if any of you other gas truck owners get the same kind of grief?
Are you asking if I get grief for my choice in a tow vehicle........me? No, not at all
Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
My Dmax would downshift in the hills South of Jeff City pulling 8,200 lbs to LOTO. I must of had a defective one as everone else with a diesel truck says their torque converter never even unlocks on hills pulling 15K!! Oh yeah, that is while knocking down 22 MPG at 80 MPH!
The internet is like an adult bookstore for diesel owners. They love stroking themselves off to fairytales of never downshifting on grades, fuel mileage that rivals a moped, and flat out millions of miles before overhauls.

Those hills South of Jefferson City gave my old chevy a workout , but not too bad. Actually kinda fun running them. Trans temp never exceeded 200. I felt the hills on horseshoe bend and getting out of glencove marina with the boat in tow were a bit worse.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

My V-10 Excursion pulls just fine.....always use 4wd-low when pulling out, barely touch the gas. I never understood these people that have to hammer the throttle when pulling their boat out.
I remember one time last year I was getting ready to pull the boat out of the water and the ramp next to me the guy had a diesel truck. I had just backed the trailer into the water and was getting out of my truck when this guy hammers his truck to pull out his boat, I get hit with this huge cloud of black smoke. I'm like WTF!!! Really!!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Clyde I see it all the time in the construction/dump truck business. Guys come in the landfills loaded with clay/dirt, then proceed to try and drive thru the soft ground in 4th gear because they are either in a hurry or too lazy to downshift. Next thing you know they are sitting there with their driveshaft laying on the ground after greneding the u joints or a busted rear end.

A 410ft lb truck in 4 low will move a hell of a lot more weight than a 650ft lb truck in 4 high. Guys don't understand torque multiplication. That's why heavy haul trucks have 18 spds.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The manufacturers have done a good job of neutering the heavy duty gas towing truck. The Ford V10 did a great job, especially the 3 valve motors, but Ford ditched it for the 6.2. So if you want a gas motor, you get a V8 that will not do what the V10 did or a diesel that is overkill. Same with GM. The 8.1 with an Allison was a great combo, but now you can get a 6.0 gas and whatever half assed auto tranny they stick behind it or a Duramax and an Allison. Same goes for the new Rams. At a 7K dollar premium over a gas job, why offer a second option that only nets you 2 grand extra on a sale? Add in the fact new diesels are much more refined than the older motors and it becomes an easier sell to Joey Boater than the anemic gas offerings.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

My 6.0 gas truck pulled like a champ. The heaviest I pulled with it was dads 30 scarab sport but it was during a move and the boat was used as a utility trailer. I had it loaded to the hilt. The entire cabin full of stuff. Plus the entire deck of boat up to level with gunwales. This was mostly storage shed stuff. Tools, jacks, fishing rods and reels. Not light boxes full of pillows and blankets. Lol. She ran 80 from Panama City beach to Cape Coral. She ran and stopped like a champ. I have no issues with a gas motor.

**** the new 1/2 ton chevy has a bumper pull of like 12,000. Pretty damn good for a half ton.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I towed my Chris cat (11k w/ trlr) with my 2500 Avalanche 8.1 w/ 4.10 axles to Loto and back NO issues- 8.5 mpg at 65 mph. The only reason I upgraded to the 2015 Duramax was the Av was rusting and I could afford to buy the diesel. You can tow just fine with gas engines. The payback is about 100k miles last i calculated it out.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.