Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Synthetic bearing grease vs. conventional >

Synthetic bearing grease vs. conventional

Notices

Synthetic bearing grease vs. conventional

Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Synthetic bearing grease vs. conventional

I've been using Amsoil synthetic in my trailer bearing for years. It seems that after running it for a while, it turns to pudding! Are all the synthetics "thinner" in viscosity than conventional grease? I pulled a hub today, and when set on it's side,the grease just ran onto the floor. Thank God I had cardboard down! Is this normal? I put in Mobil 1 synthetic, not sure if that's any better. I know conventional grease is a thicker viscosity, am I worrying about nothing?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I get the same thing no matter the grease , I always figured it was the water mixed in.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chances are its the water pouring out.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, I'm not too excited about it if it's water! I thought it was the grease breaking down from the heat. On my last trailer, I tried the oil bath hubs from Kodiak, but they were problematic and I finally gave up and went back to bearing buddies. This trailer has the easy lube spindles, which is nicer.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Borgie
Quite a few folks believe that by nature "synthetics" are thinner regarding viscosity. This couldn't be further from the truth. Synthetic greases do flow and lubricate better at low and high temps due to their synthetic basestocks. It does sound like you might be getting water contamination. Most greases will separate and you get oil coming out of suspension, however this does not impact its ability to lubricate.

I guess the real question is, why do you think you need synthetic grease? If a trailer bearing is in good shape, most conventional greases will suffice as temps aren't out of control. Try mystic, I've always had great results using it with trailers, And in this application, it definitely should suffice.
I don't really think I need to run synthetic, I just thought it might afford a higher level of protection. I have no problem switching back to conventional grease, I was just trying to get some other opinions on different options and peoples experiences.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:30 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
Quite a few folks believe that by nature "synthetics" are thinner regarding viscosity. This couldn't be further from the truth. Synthetic greases do flow and lubricate better at low and high temps due to their synthetic basestocks. It does sound like you might be getting water contamination. Most greases will separate and you get oil coming out of suspension, however this does not impact its ability to lubricate.

I guess the real question is, why do you think you need synthetic grease? If a trailer bearing is in good shape, most conventional greases will suffice as temps aren't out of control. Try mystic, I've always had great results using it with trailers, And in this application, it definitely should suffice.
I towed my sled trailer at -35F below one night. I switched to synthetic in that. That temp scared me so bad I left my truck running all night. LOL.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've been running the Mystick red stuff (conventional) that you can buy at Wal*Mart for many years. I usually buy a case of it and keep a tube in the trailer tool box along, with spare parts; plus the grease gun; in case of failure when on the road.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I have been running mobil 1 grease for many years. I also carry spare bearings,grease gun,drum/hub, and parts and tools.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

I have noticed "water like" grease coming from my gun from just sitting in a hot garage as well as coming from a bearing buddy cap.

My last trailer I went with Schaeffer Oil and it seemed to do a really good job.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

I also recommend the Scheaffer grease, I replaced all bearings race etc on my trailer this spring. I use it in everything. Had one seal go out, my fault, when I pulled cap off water ran out. When I pulled bearings out there was no visible effects of the water mixing with grease, still tacky and full between rollers. Make sure to use the #221 and not the #238. I read somewhere to put some of the grease on your finger and run it under water trying to smear it, most "marine grease" I found you could basically wash away to nothing! Just my experience, give it a try. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.