Notices

Trailer axles hitting trailer

Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frame is 5x2 I think only 1/8 thick, not sure but it's definitely not heavy gauge. My center axle rear drum shoe was completely gone. The downhill trip to Callville is no good onsurge brakes. Just ordered some hubs and disc brakes. The eoh actuator is next asking with steel to fix this thing.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by ramos45
7750 from NADA
8200 net from marine bluebook
Don't forget 200 gallons of fuel is another 1400#, probably another 1000# in gear, tools, and stuff. My 2002 38 Sonic is 9,000 dry, I have a hard time believing an '89 Scarab is lighter. The fact that the trailer is straight unloaded, deflects when its loaded, and axles are bottomed out, or nearly, says to me that trailer is over loaded. Before you spend any money on it, weigh it and end the guessing. I think you are going to waste a lot of time and money trying to make it work, and probably still be unsafe going down the road. A couple years ago, ACE trailers quoted me $8500 for a new aluminum trailer. That would be a better way for you to go, imho. Possibly cheaper in the long run.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

Seems like your on the right track trying to address your problems while ON a BUDGET.

Sorry its easy for us to spend your hard earned money while typing on the keyboard!

Your on the right track upgrading to EOH disc brakes

If certain parts of the trailer frame are closer to the suspension then others then there are worn out suspension parts. Trust me.

Your on the right track upgrading to 8000lb springs. None of the bolts are reusable and some of the holes are ovaled out so seriously consider replacing ALL suspension parts.

Sorry not sure on the best way to strengthen the fame but I feel confident your welder and you can come up with a nice way to accomplish it.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Registered

Although I have an idea on how to fix this I posted on here to possibly expand my options through others' experiences and knowledge. So all that take the time to read and respond are accepted with great generosity. I am set on fixing these issues on the existing trailer. I will post up the progress.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Registered

I meant to post this here instead of "post the pic of your rig"

Finally done with trailer project and took it out for a test drive. See old and new pic.
- Spring over axle conversion
- Electric over hydraulic disc brakes, removed surge drum
- Welded 3x2 1/8 steel tube along top of existing frame. Attached by 2x2in spacers 12inches off center.
- New Bulldog coupler with adjustable C channel.
- Truck sags more now due to weight distrubution. I have air bags to install to help that and still need to go by scales to check new all the weights. ALSO, NO ENGINES are in the boat in the new pic so definitely tongue heavy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539912[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539913[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Trailer axles hitting trailer-boat-truck.jpg   Trailer axles hitting trailer-imag1192.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Registered

That trailer still looks to light for that boat but what you did helped .
Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
That trailer still looks to light for that boat but what you did helped .
I can see what you mean but she actually trailers pretty good.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

maybe u could put on taller spring hangers???
or space urs down???

is trailer strong enough for boat??

and what is ur truck...??? better be at least 3/4 ton series...

flash........out
Old 04-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ramos45
Frame is 5x2 I think only 1/8 thick, not sure but it's definitely not heavy gauge. My center axle rear drum shoe was completely gone. The downhill trip to Callville is no good onsurge brakes. Just ordered some hubs and disc brakes. The eoh actuator is next asking with steel to fix this thing.
man ,,,that is some small tubing.......
flash .out
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Registered

lmm Duramax with the Allison is the truck. The tag for trailer capacity is posted earlier in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.