Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Lug Nuts. No **** there I was... >

Lug Nuts. No **** there I was...

Notices

Lug Nuts. No **** there I was...

Old 01-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug Nuts. No **** there I was...

So no **** there we where on a beautiful morning headed to the ramp on Boca Chica and driving around on I-1 on Key West coming up to the light @ 1 and 1A and Pop Pop Pop Pop Bang and the trailer wheel comes off and rolls up over the curb. Now I have been trailering everything from stone to heavy equipment for years and I have had tires blow, bearings disintegrate etc. But I have never seen all 6 studs snap off like that before. And to top it off. I spent all day just tracking down the correct splined studs an nuts. One guy even said: Here just use these and drive them in with a hammer. (they weren't even close).
Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Been there! (twice!!)

First time, tandem axle trailer, I felt it come loose and saw it happen it.
Second time, triple axle trailer, I didn't notice it until I was backing in the driveway after a 3 hour trip. I have no idea where that one ended up!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Ugh! ...that sucks. Hope you're rolling again!

Originally Posted by fordf350
So no **** there we where on a beautiful morning headed to the ramp on Boca Chica and driving around on I-1 on Key West coming up to the light @ 1 and 1A and Pop Pop Pop Pop Bang and the trailer wheel comes off and rolls up over the curb. Now I have been trailering everything from stone to heavy equipment for years and I have had tires blow, bearings disintegrate etc. But I have never seen all 6 studs snap off like that before. And to top it off. I spent all day just tracking down the correct splined studs an nuts. One guy even said: Here just use these and drive them in with a hammer. (they weren't even close).
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O ya back home safe and sound. But I am certainly going to replace every single stud before the next trip. Not to mention throw 6 more in the tool box. Just in case.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Been there! (twice!!)

First time, tandem axle trailer, I felt it come loose and saw it happen it.
Second time, triple axle trailer, I didn't notice it until I was backing in the driveway after a 3 hour trip. I have no idea where that one ended up!
Hopefully not through someone's windshield. lol
Old 01-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Hopefully not through someone's windshield. lol
You're not kidding!! It was 90% highway miles, and most of them were with woods in the median.
(Left side of trailer)
I made certain to look at all the cars and living rooms between my house and the interstate early the next morning. I still wonder where it is.

Many years ago, crane lost a super single wheel/tire on the interstate, in oncoming traffic to me...
...while I was ON MY GSXR. It hit the jersey wall, and sailed about 50 feet over my head.
Freaked me out!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Nothing causes that except loose lugnuts. That's the only thing that will take them all off. If the studs didn't fully seat when you installed them they did seat once you tightened them and started rolling except now they became loose, then the back and forth shearing effect started. At any rate they got loose at some point and that's what cut them off.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 01-28-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

^^^ yup thats what happened to me thought I had em tight on aluminum rims but 75 miles later they were all loose and a tire beat me down the ramp.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Car in MA last week got a stray tire into the driver side of windshield. Went to critical care, supposedly still alive though.

Be careful out there !
http://www.wcvb.com/news/man-serious...hield/30890274
Old 01-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm grabbing the torque wrench and some sockets and going for a walk around my driveway.
Glad everything is ok and everybody got home in one piece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.