Notices

Rental Truck with Tow Hitch

Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rental Truck with Tow Hitch

Does anyone have information on renting a large SUV or P/U with a tow hitch? I just called a few places such as Enterprise / Avis / Hertz and I am being told they don't have hitches and you cant tow. Enterprise has a truck rental division, but they don't do 1-way.

I was hoping to stay away form a U-Haul type deal as I am hoping for some comfort as I am going about 1500 miles.

Don't all P/U's come with a tow hitch receiver?

What's the average cost to have a hitch installed on say a Silverado, and perhaps I could just remove it when I am done?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triangle Car Rental is great, they rent 250's and 350's I towed my boat home with a 350 dually, BUT they only are in SE not FL
Old 02-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been in your boat before and here is what I did. Find out what rental companies let you choose your rental. In Miami I know enterprise, thrifty, national and alamo let you choose which car you want. What I do is I go to the rental companies....walk around the lot and see what SUV has a hitch. When I find one, I jump online on my phone, rent and when I get a confirmation, I hold on to the keys and then go to the counter.

THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 30 SECONDS!!!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Budget used to rent f250s with the provision for the large 2 5/16 ball on the bumper , wasnt politically correct but neither is the new rental car scam where customers are getting their eyeballs gouged out for "damage"that didnt purchase the supplemental insurance .reciever hitch is usually a stand alone option of part of a tow package youwill never see on a rental unit unless it was some kind of mistake that slipped through .the added comfort for me would be offset by the spinkter tightening fear of how hard they would try to insert it up my arse if the rental broke down or some bozo hit me while towing . And im bold . but that is now . Back then i did it all the time .was probably bolder.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Enterprise rents F150s and Ram 1500s. Most of them have a hitch. You should be able to go to your local Enterprise and lay eyes on the exact truck you will end up with.
All of the major rental car outfits specifically have bans on towing; but I've seen hitches on plenty of Tahoes and Expeditions, and the 1/2 ton trucks.

You can get a Class-III hitch for about $200 bucks and they install with 6-8 bolts in 30 minutes. That's all you are going to be capable to tow with a 1/2 ton platform anything, anyhow.

Some dealers rent trucks, but they would not be one way.

Also:
https://www.hertzequip.com/herc/rent...trucks+3.4-ton

I've rented an F350 from Triangle rent a car last year for a towing round trip. It was a great experience. I was hauling two PWC trailers rigged up like Sanford & Son in the back of the truck, while towing a tandem PWC trailer and two PWCs. I didn't want to risk scratching up my truck with that load.

Last, Royal rent a car used to rent PSD F250s, but I think they only do F150s now.
http://www.royalrentacar.com/VehiclesForRent.aspx
Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I suggest you try Hertz Industrial Equipment rentals. If you google it and go to a local location, they have a drop down menu with trucks. I did this a few years ago and rented a Chevy 3500 diesel with a 2 5/16th hitch.

No issues and I would do it again.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hertz rent a h2 hummer they haves hitch I've towed before
Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

Ryder has 1 ton Vans. I towed my 29 Outlaw w twins with a 3500 extended chevy van for a yr or so before I got a truck. Pulled and Stopped it no problem with trailer brakes.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you all for the input.

I am going from Scottsdale to N. Dallas so S. FL is out.

All I am towing is 12' U-Haul trailer so I doubt I would even eclipse 2500 lbs. I am liking Sydwayz' 200.00 hitch idea.

I am flying in so I cant go over and inspect the vehicles at the location beforehand. I am going to check out a couple local places here today and see if they all have hitches on their trucks with the thinking the trucks in AZ will be the same- maybe I will get lucky.

Last edited by texaschopper; 02-12-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

almost all the yukons and tahoes have hitches installed on them u have to take off the center cover and theres the hitch when your done snap the cover back on i have done that a bunch of times,,just dont tell em your towing with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.