Notices

Suburban vs Expedition EL

Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Long story short, Ford in their brilliancy put head bolts in the head to the block holes. The bolts bottom out, and don't squish the gaskets well enough. In time, ALL 6.0L PSDs will need the heads pulled, the aforementioned updates applied, and adding studs, vs. the bolts. This usually runs about $8K.

Someone once said, if you have a 6.0L PSD, keep $8000 in the bank, because you will have to spend it on the truck one day.

The later model Excursions will have better interiors, seats, and accouterments. The early ones are not bad inside, but you get the 7.3L PSD (as mentioned above) up until mid-year 2003.

IF you find a 2003 PSD, but it's not listed which PSD is in it; (7.3 or 6.0)...
...look at the mirrors.
When they switched mid-year, they went to mirrors that have turn signals built in. (However, there are Excusions with 5.4L V8 and 6.8L V10 engines. Steer clear.)

Excursions were built on the SuperDuty Frame. No fold flat seats (into the floor). But the rear row comes out, and I think the back folds down.
Not sure where you got your information about the 6L PSD but your dead wrong. I'm not going to get into in this thread but I have made a good living working on 6L PSD on the side and "blocking" of holes has nothing todo head bolts.

To the OP I have an Excursion and wouldnt trade it for anything(unless they made a 6.7PSD X) I like having the truck chassis vs car chassis that the new Subs and Expeditions have. If you look around you can get a X for a decent deal as not everyone wants them, some still think they are gold thou.

As far as the issues your having with your Sub if it was me I would fix them and keep the truck atleast you know what you have now vs buying a newer vehicle.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I think we have an issue with wording. I never said any holes were blocked.

The original head bolts bottom out in the holes drilled in the block. That does not allow the gaskets to be squished sufficiently; which is why some folks have issues, especially with tuned PSDs. Hence why folks tend to replace with ARP studs when redoing everything, likely what you are making your living off of.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-23-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Well thanks for all the info and suggestions!

I have decided to do....nothing for this year. The 2008 is running good and truthfully the 5.3 pulls my Velocity just fine. Got the rear latch fixed and I can live with manually locking the passenger doors.

I am going to look over an Expedition but will likely stay with a Suburban. An older Ford Excursion Diesel fascinates me but it is overkill for my towing needs and everyday mileage doesn't seem as good as a gas Suburban. Nothing against diesels, I had one of the first Dodge Cummins (1989) it just is overkill and I don't expect to get a bigger Velocity.

Thank you all for the help!

Padraig
Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Good luck with your future direction. But if you run across an Excursion that you can take for a quick drive, take it for a spin. You may change your tune, literally.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Will do, Brian. They are interesting.

Padraig
Old 04-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I think we have an issue with wording. I never said any holes were blocked.

The original head bolts bottom out in the holes drilled in the block. That does not allow the gaskets to be squished sufficiently; which is why some folks have issues, especially with tuned PSDs. Hence why folks tend to replace with ARP studs when redoing everything, likely what you are making your living off of.
And not enough fasteners to begin with .
Old 05-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Just saw this, I've been towing my Velocity 280 with an 03 tuned Suburban and it does ok. My 5.3 is pushing over 350hp and at least 400ftlbs with the work I've done to it which helps a lot. I have been looking for a new tow vehicle and I'm going with the 2015 Yukon Denali. It has the 6.2 with 460ftlbs torque and 8 speed tranny, it also has the auto level ride system. As far as the 3rd row seats, they are coming out and I'm ordering the 2nd row as a bench. I figure with the same work on the 6.2 that I did on the 5.3 I will be pushing 500ftlbs of torque, should tow like a dream. Some of the new trailering control features are pretty nice as well. The tow rating is also higher than my 03 Suburban.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Just saw this, I've been towing my Velocity 280 with an 03 tuned Suburban and it does ok. My 5.3 is pushing over 350hp and at least 400ftlbs with the work I've done to it which helps a lot. I have been looking for a new tow vehicle and I'm going with the 2015 Yukon Denali. It has the 6.2 with 460ftlbs torque and 8 speed tranny, it also has the auto level ride system. As far as the 3rd row seats, they are coming out and I'm ordering the 2nd row as a bench. I figure with the same work on the 6.2 that I did on the 5.3 I will be pushing 500ftlbs of torque, should tow like a dream. Some of the new trailering control features are pretty nice as well. The tow rating is also higher than my 03 Suburban.
What have you done with the surburban to get more power out of it ?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive towed all kind of big boats with my z71 ,5.3 tow pkg , bought new. It works harder than a diesel towing the big boys . I am not a gambling man there are a few guys out there with the diesels that never had honda accord reliability , but most have had payed major penalties for the diesel experience. Quite a few will never admit it
if your squirming about some actuators and a latch at 130k miles ,you may not be happy with the diesel thing . Or the expedition thing . Especially if you experience head gasket failure ,timing chain guide failure oil drain plug thread failure ect .
I am involved in a fleet that has a whole lot of both . But if you want to know for sure just take a stroll though the ford and gm service depaertments, ask the techs that work on em.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
In the new 2015 the seats don't remove like the older ones, they fold almost flat into the floor like a Ford

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.