Notices

Ford Triton Spark Plug Removal

Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
There are some that use a 3/8 cordless impact to remove the spark plugs with success. There is a TSB on how to do it from Ford. Knock on wood when I did mine they came out with little carbon build up as I only use quality super unleaded fuel. Carbon build up is the key issue. On customers vehicles I run a whole can of "Seafoam" thought the intake first. This helps also to soften the carbon build up. I have the removal tool and have yet to use it.
GREAT info. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
For those that don't know the Ford 5.4L in one if it's iterations has a REALLY bad spark plug design. Take a look here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540542[/ATTACH]

They have a TERRIBLE habit of breaking off below the threads.

I fully support the replacement of them while under warranty as JS indicates his direction above. I'd do the exact same.
It does kill me that I am paying for someone to change spark plugs though! However it will be "priceless" if one breaks up against the firewall!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Thats the problem. I've had a mis for about 2 weeks. Now i have to do it. I was thinking about just changing all the coils and see how it runs and leave it that way but right now it idles really bad.
More than likely a coil, at least that was my experience with my Expedition w/ 5.4 Triton, and I had (3) of them go between 170k - 220k miles. I paid my favorite garage about $225.00 to change the plugs when I had them done. My reasoning was that I knew they had the proper tools and had done loads of them, and it would take me the better part of an afternoon IF it went smoothly. My time is more valuable to me than the $225.00 was. My Dodge p/u w 5.7 hemi @ 2 plugs / cylinder is a breeze compared to the 5.4 in my Expedition.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Thats the problem. I've had a mis for about 2 weeks. Now i have to do it. I was thinking about just changing all the coils and see how it runs and leave it that way but right now it idles really bad.
I would have it scanned, I bought my 2010 F-150 from a dearship with 90K on it and they changed the plugs before I picked up, now at a 160K changed out two coil packs, still running strong 5K oil changes and wont burn a drop of oil
Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

If you wait long enough they will remove themselves. I have a 5.4 with helicoils on all 8 cylinders now.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its a 4.6l, those don't break. There is nothing special about those spark plugs. Just take your time putting them back in and start and thread them down so you know you have them started before tightening them. The back plug on the passenger side, cylinder 4, can be tricky and tight but if you use long extension with a wobble and spark plug socket you can get it out pretty easy. Use motorcraft plugs and also replace all the coil boots. You might have a coil shorting out but most of the time its the coil boot arching through.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by tsatrooper1
If its a 4.6l, those don't break. There is nothing special about those spark plugs. Just take your time putting them back in and start and thread them down so you know you have them started before tightening them. The back plug on the passenger side, cylinder 4, can be tricky and tight but if you use long extension with a wobble and spark plug socket you can get it out pretty easy. Use motorcraft plugs and also replace all the coil boots. You might have a coil shorting out but most of the time its the coil boot arching through.
Are you sure the 4.6L doesnt have those type of plugs?

I saw the 4.6 didnt have them, then I read it did, but if we are wrong, it could make for a really chitty day if you know what I am saying...
Old 04-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Watch some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ken+spark+plug
Old 04-29-2015, 12:47 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

4.6L,5.4L and 6.8L two valve blow out spark plugs. They also blow out Heli Coils, but not "Timeserts" and "Timeserts" are what I use. Early 4.6L,5.4L three valve engines use a two piece spark plugs (HT1) that can separate in the head due to carbon build up around the shell. 2008 the three valve heads were redesigned to use a different spark plug. These issue can be handled without removing the cylinder heads most of the time. I have yet have to remove a Ford head for spark plugs or exhaust manifold repair.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These are what I use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opNGDKGdkQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.