Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Ford Triton Spark Plug Removal (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/325679-ford-triton-spark-plug-removal.html)

Keith Atlanta 04-28-2015 08:46 PM

Ford Triton Spark Plug Removal

I am going to attempt to replace the plugs on my 2005 4.6L Triton next week. Anybody have any useful tips?

I have been running 93 octane and just ran a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil then injector cleaner. I really dont want to break a plug. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

jeff32 04-28-2015 09:11 PM

Yes!
Im a gm dealer
Had one of my guy change those on a trade we got
Long story short it costed me a complete engine!
Spark plug broke like it usually does. If you dont have the vacuum and special tools to do it, dont do it!
If you do it, it might take you like 5 or 6 hours
Make sure you bring each cylinder you are taking the plug off in its upper position, so if you have broken pieces of spark plug in the cylinder, you might be able to take them out with a shop vac or something like that. If piston is down, you are dead!!!

kensfourwinns 04-28-2015 09:18 PM

The best luck I have had is get engine hot then pull 2 coils and use a 3/8 air impact on the socket. I do 2 at a time getting engine hot between attempts for them not breaking. They are 9/16" socket on the plug if you were not aware. I have tried many methods and everybody has always said you never want to remove plugs on a aluminum head engine when they are hot but have never damaged threads on them. The sudden jolt of the impact is what breaks the carbon loose. If they do break Lisle makes a tool to remove them that works well for around 70 bucks .Good Luck!

Sydwayz 04-28-2015 11:31 PM

I suggest taking it to a professional that works on these engines regularly. I've never done it, BUT there is a special tool that a couple of the tool wagons sell for this job, including getting out broken plugs. IMHO, it's not worth the risk.

Jupiter Sunsation 04-29-2015 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4298159)
I suggest taking it to a professional that works on these engines regularly. I've never done it, BUT there is a special tool that a couple of the tool wagons sell for this job, including getting out broken plugs. IMHO, it's not worth the risk.

I'm actually going to pay the dealer to do my 5.4 in the next few months while it is still under the 60k power train warranty.......I will pay this time and probably won't own the truck the next time it needs to be done!

seafordguy 04-29-2015 07:57 AM

Plug change at 60k? That seems early considering how many 100k plugs are out there these days........

Probably should change them in my wifes tahoe - 130k on the originals.....

Jupiter Sunsation 04-29-2015 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 4298231)
Plug change at 60k? That seems early considering how many 100k plugs are out there these days........

Probably should change them in my wifes tahoe - 130k on the originals.....

I agree it is early but I figure if something goes wrong I still have powertrain warranty and they have been in there 5 years already. I have owned vehicles 100K+ miles and never changed plugs but with these Tritons I figure sooner is better than later... Less corrosion/ thread issues than if I wait until 100k miles.

Keith Atlanta 04-29-2015 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4298159)

Thats the problem. I've had a mis for about 2 weeks. Now i have to do it. I was thinking about just changing all the coils and see how it runs and leave it that way but right now it idles really bad.

Sydwayz 04-29-2015 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For those that don't know the Ford 5.4L in one if it's iterations has a REALLY bad spark plug design. Take a look here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540542[/ATTACH]

They have a TERRIBLE habit of breaking off below the threads.

I fully support the replacement of them while under warranty as JS indicates his direction above. I'd do the exact same.

mrv8outboard 04-29-2015 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are some that use a 3/8 cordless impact to remove the spark plugs with success. There is a TSB on how to do it from Ford. Knock on wood when I did mine they came out with little carbon build up as I only use quality super unleaded fuel. Carbon build up is the key issue. On customers vehicles I run a whole can of "Seafoam" thought the intake first. This helps also to soften the carbon build up. I have the removal tool and have yet to use it.