Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   updates on duramax diesel (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/327389-updates-duramax-diesel.html)

andyouknothis 06-16-2015 04:18 AM

updates on duramax diesel

hey you guys.....

anyone knows amy updates on the duramax diesel???

build your own....or buy???

heard of a 750hp with 1200lbs torque .....
nice in my books......
how many hours you think will it live, turned up that high...

260Velocity 06-16-2015 06:55 AM

To have that power and live, it will have to have a built bottom end. Between 550 and 650HP they start to bend rods, some people are making 700 with stock rods but are playing with a bomb!! Carrillo, Manley etc. rods are the first thing you should consider over the 550 make to make it reliable. The stock crank is fine to a point, there are issues with the cranks breaking at the mains. Some guys are switching to an AF cam and re pinning the injector harness and claim this $1300 fix stops the crank breaking issue. i know a guy that made 1100HP when turned up on kill with EFI Live and the truck ran 10.55 and weighed 6850 on slicks. To make that power you will need a modded CP 3 or a duel fueler set up and 2 cp 3 pumps and at least 45 or 60 over injectors.
There are mods that should be done to the Crank pins, cam pin and oil pump for reliability also.
the stock LB7,LLY pistons after having lip removed have proven to hold 1000HP. Now the LBZ is a different story, they crack accross the pine bore.
i am in the process of restoring my 02 2500HD CC, The motor has been out and i have been collecting parts for it. i had the heads CNC ported with 1 MM over valves and double springs installed along with screw in injector cups. i delipped the stock pistons which are cast Mahle from the factory. i have Manley rods for it also. I keyed the Crank instead of the little 5MM pin that they come with and sometimes shear off. i also pinned the Oil pump gear to the shaft so it cant spin on the drive shaft. i just bought a Bullet racing cam for it also.
These motors way different then a BBC or SBC..... alot of research and reading went into this project.

PS i made my own Torque plate to have the motor honed since no one in my area has one for this motor and they cost 6 to 7 hundred.
i had 165 in it for material 2 inch thick aluminum plate. but 6 hrs of manual machine work, ughh good project though..

B38 06-16-2015 09:51 AM

Where did you get the screw in injector cups from. That's my current issue with my LB7. Also at idle smokes bad, but after that no problems. Need to pull heads soon and R&R.

B38 06-16-2015 09:56 AM

Blue devil has plugged problems for now with water usage, but no matter what when I haul heavy now it uses water. Bob tail nothing.

260Velocity 06-16-2015 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by B38 (Post 4318283)
Where did you get the screw in injector cups from. That's my current issue with my LB7. Also at idle smokes bad, but after that no problems. Need to pull heads soon and R&R.

i got the screw in cups for like 600 from a member on the DD forum. He had sets made by a friend of his on a CNC machine. He is located in Illinois. i have his number and see if he has anymore sets left. you just need to tap the head through the deck surface. the smoke at idle issue is sometimes caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator on the CP3 injector pump. i am installing an LBZ pump on mine due to the added fuel pressure they produce. but need EFI Live to tune for it.

260Velocity 06-16-2015 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by B38 (Post 4318291)
Blue devil has plugged problems for now with water usage, but no matter what when I haul heavy now it uses water. Bob tail nothing.

B38 what does this mean? im lost sorry

fastdonzi 06-16-2015 10:22 AM

My Brother just had his LB7 done at Merchant Automotive in Michigan. Its a Compound Turbo setup ( a Turbo Feeding a Turbo) It runs like a stocker, But with the press of his right foot it'll lay down 890hp (at the wheels) He's got Manley Rods, SoCal Heads, Dual CP3's, etc. I rode in it the weekend of Brownies party in Miami. Made 85psi Boost and Hazed the tires at 90mph... Its friggin Impressive..... too expensive for me to play with, But Damn I would if I could :)

B38 06-16-2015 02:08 PM

Blue devil stop leak.

B38 06-16-2015 02:15 PM

I must stay on a budget with DURAMAX.My boat is more on the priority list for all the good expensive items. I have another set of LB7 heads, out of 4 I should get good results. now that I know what to look for.

B38 06-16-2015 02:19 PM

Oh yeah. I see you know your DURAMAX
thanks

Originally Posted by 260Velocity (Post 4318187)
To have that power and live, it will have to have a built bottom end. Between 550 and 650HP they start to bend rods, some people are making 700 with stock rods but are playing with a bomb!! Carrillo, Manley etc. rods are the first thing you should consider over the 550 make to make it reliable. The stock crank is fine to a point, there are issues with the cranks breaking at the mains. Some guys are switching to an AF cam and re pinning the injector harness and claim this $1300 fix stops the crank breaking issue. i know a guy that made 1100HP when turned up on kill with EFI Live and the truck ran 10.55 and weighed 6850 on slicks. To make that power you will need a modded CP 3 or a duel fueler set up and 2 cp 3 pumps and at least 45 or 60 over injectors.
There are mods that should be done to the Crank pins, cam pin and oil pump for reliability also.
the stock LB7,LLY pistons after having lip removed have proven to hold 1000HP. Now the LBZ is a different story, they crack accross the pine bore.
i am in the process of restoring my 02 2500HD CC, The motor has been out and i have been collecting parts for it. i had the heads CNC ported with 1 MM over valves and double springs installed along with screw in injector cups. i delipped the stock pistons which are cast Mahle from the factory. i have Manley rods for it also. I keyed the Crank instead of the little 5MM pin that they come with and sometimes shear off. i also pinned the Oil pump gear to the shaft so it cant spin on the drive shaft. i just bought a Bullet racing cam for it also.
These motors way different then a BBC or SBC..... alot of research and reading went into this project.

PS i made my own Torque plate to have the motor honed since no one in my area has one for this motor and they cost 6 to 7 hundred.
i had 165 in it for material 2 inch thick aluminum plate. but 6 hrs of manual machine work, ughh good project though..