Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Need a trailer lock boot suggestion >

Need a trailer lock boot suggestion

Notices

Need a trailer lock boot suggestion

Old 06-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need a trailer lock boot suggestion

I have a 7 *16 enclosed utility trailer. My buddy lets me store it behind his shop which borders the Troy, Mich airport but he wants me to put a boot on it. Whats a good one- 14 inch wheels.

Whats a good boot to put on?

Wannabe
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Anything added to the trailer can be removed with enough time and no one disturbing the would-be thief.
-Tongue lock.
-Boots
-Chains
-Locks

For your situation, I would remove something(s) from it the trailer, to make it very unattractive to steal.
Ideally, I'd have some kind of removable tongue and take the tongue with you.

Also, credit member "Wally" with this idea years ago...
Remove your trailer wiring.
He created a pigtail that not only unplugged from the truck, but also unplugged from the trailer and he took it with him.
Thought process: If someone tries to steal the trailer, the last thing they want to be doing is towing without lights.

I'd put that pigtail receptacle hidden up underneath of the front of the trailer; where a thief would have no idea where to go to figure it out.

But one of these:
http://www.championtrailers.com/7-pole-flat-8-ft-whip/

Make it male on the bitter end, and put a female receptacle underneath the front of the trailer. You could locate that receptacle in a lockbox which would make it even more secure.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-01-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Another option to "quickly" disable a trailer from moving is: 1) Take a coated lock cable,(these come in numerous lengths and can be found at Home Depot, etc.) run it through wheel, around the trailer frame and back through the other wheel, then secure cable with a "good Lock". 2) "pull" the emergency stop cable out of its actuator. As soon as they put electric to the trailer, it will LOCK up ALL the brakes.

Like has been said, if they want it bad enough, it will be gone, but at least it will slow them down and hopefully, some one who has not taken the precautions will be the first target.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I do this, but use a heavy chain - only intention is to slow them down and possibly cause someone else to recognize that somethings not right about the situation and possibly ask them WTF they are doing with bolt cutters near easyrider1340's trailer ! ha!

Originally Posted by bajaholic
1) Take a coated lock cable,(these come in numerous lengths and can be found at Home Depot, etc.) run it through wheel, around the trailer frame and back through the other wheel, then secure cable with a "good Lock".
Old 07-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not a matter of protecting your trailer... Its making the thieves looking to the next thing because yours it to much trouble. Security lights work great and cameras (even fake ones). A simple cable and lock, so they can't just grab it and go. Also there are monitors that can be put up around the property.
http://www.homecontrols.com/Seco-Lar...category=77582
Old 07-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I know that if the thieves want it. But it borders an airport and I think thieves want low visibility. Having said that 2 years ago when storing my boat at the exact same location one of my fuel tanks became mysteriously low. One side only. Takes balls and time for someone to siphon 40 gallons of fuel. Or maybe just a couple of 17 year olds and a 24 pack......of bud

So i am looking at the http://immobilize.com/trailer-wheel-boots/

looks pretty good. I want the guys to pull in and basically turnaround.