Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
7000lb Dexter EZ-Lube Cap Issues >

7000lb Dexter EZ-Lube Cap Issues

Notices

7000lb Dexter EZ-Lube Cap Issues

Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 7000lb Dexter EZ-Lube Cap Issues

Hi,
I'm having problems with my EZ-Lube inner dust cap, the one with the removable rubber plug, coming loose from the axle when towing. I changed out all bearings, races, seals, and dust caps last fall. I used the Dexter K71-319-00 cap for my axles, when I install the caps they seem to fit snug, but after driving they usually come off of two of the hubs. They can't fly off completely, because they're captured inside the 4.9" center cap, but obviously water can enter the hub area when dunking. I've tried new EZ-Lube caps with the same results. Not sure if it's a vendor issue, because I never had this problem before? I thought about installing them with silicone to see if that helps. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Steve
Old 07-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557408[/ATTACH]
Steve,
I've never really had a problem with them coming off. I've maybe lost 1 or 2 over all the years of towing with them.
However, sometimes they will swell up with heat and push the center nipple out. I wonder if you are having a problem with heat & expanding grease pushing them out.
Which two are coming off regularly? And are the bearing temperatures any different on those two vs. the others with no issue?
Also, have you used a caliper to measure the diameter of the metal portion of the dust cap to ensure that you don't have a couple that are out of spec?
Attached Thumbnails 7000lb Dexter EZ-Lube Cap Issues-k71-315-00%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Brian,
They are on opposite sides of two different axles. I'm running a tandem axle set-up. The ones that have come off, I've replaced with a new cap, and had the same experience. Temps are consistent, all relatively the same. It first started happening on the way back from Florida this spring, now it's any time I tow. At first, I was removing the wheel to re-seat the cap. then I got smart, and re-set them with a race/seal driver, in place, thru the outer cap. Only problem is, it doesn't help, except for launching. I'll try measuring them, you'ld think the salt-water would seat them good!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Any thoughts on an adhesive to bond them, if they size out OK?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Just to be clear, you are having the entire metal portion dust cap, come off of the hub right? (Not just losing your rubber center caps, which is how I originally read it.)

Some folks have talked about cleaning the lip of the axle with brake cleaner, and installing it them with silicone or similar in the past.
Others have "roughed them up a bit" with a Dremel or file to give them texture to hold.

You also might try grabbing the inner lip of the dust cap with a par of channel locks or vice grips in about 5 places around the cap, and putting a little "tweak" in it to give it a "tooth" (just the width of the plier jaws) to bite into the hub a bit when you drive it home as well. That's likely what I would try.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get screw in plastic caps that are for the oil bath hubs if yours have the threads inside the bore. Most do, but I have seen them without. These are what we use on all of our trailers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dext...-o1IgKvuRxM%3A
Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just to be clear, you are having the entire metal portion dust cap, come off of the hub right? (Not just losing your rubber center caps, which is how I originally read it.)

Some folks have talked about cleaning the lip of the axle with brake cleaner, and installing it them with silicone or similar in the past.
Others have "roughed them up a bit" with a Dremel or file to give them texture to hold.

You also might try grabbing the inner lip of the dust cap with a par of channel locks or vice grips in about 5 places around the cap, and putting a little "tweak" in it to give it a "tooth" (just the width of the plier jaws) to bite into the hub a bit when you drive it home as well. That's likely what I would try.
Yes, the entire cap is coming off, sorry if I wasn't clear about that. I had thought about giving the caps a little crinkle , but I think that might make things worse for staying on, and sealing out water. I'm leaning more to try and adhere them on, and see how that works. Thanks for the help, I just thought someone may of had a similar issue. I'm guessing it's a vendors issue.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

You are not the only one. My tandem Manning has done this to me twice. I tried new caps first time and just last week I tried the "Sydwayz" pliers trick. Don't know if it worked because only used trailer once since doing it. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:51 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

I've only lost one in 8 years and only replaced the metal dust caps once. I remove and reuse them every Spring.
I always make sure the lip where the dust cap makes contact is grease free when reinstalling them.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

At one point, I had a small piece of 2x4, actually 1.5" trimmed off the end of one, that I kept in my former trailer's toolbox, along with a hammer. I'd use the little block of wood as a driver and just give them all a good smack whenever I saw one working loose. That dimension was small enough to fit through the center cap of my particular wheels; and also contact the dust cover in four large contact points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.