Notices

The trailer thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I wouldn`t think the manufacturers would mind the info on here as it is public information.

Some results of Trailer shopping for a 38 Fountain EC

Good price but a screwed together trailer is ultimately not something I wanted.:

Best load capacity, with EOH brakes , Electric jack , some bling, spare tire etc , closer to $18k and I did not like the look of the C channel or adjustable bunks

Great service and follow up, good pricing, willing to do some custom lights etc, liked the lighter weight aluminum option... my second choice.

Eagle per conversation $18k

Evolution: After a nice conversation , never received a quote.

Myco: Didn`t bother due to pricing

Ultimately it came down to having the trailer measured and made for the boat, consensus with the above familiar with the Fountains was that Reggie kept changing the bottoms and no 2 boats fit on a trailer the same.I do not want adjustable bunks or fitment issues.
Haul Rite is right in ROTO they will come out and fit the trailer to boat and Ed Champion (eddie) from Big Thunder marine can do all that without me coming down.
He also had the best pricing easy to work with . They also use Vault axles.

I got a little confused with the stupid ad!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Registered

I wouldn`t think the manufacturers would mind the info on here as it is public information.

Some results of Trailer shopping for a 38 Fountain EC

Good price but a screwed together trailer is ultimately not something I wanted.:

Best load capacity, with EOH brakes , Electric jack , some bling, spare tire etc , closer to $18k and I did not like the look of the C channel or adjustable bunks

Great service and follow up, good pricing, willing to do some custom lights etc, liked the lighter weight aluminum option... my second choice.

Eagle per conversation $18k

Evolution: After a nice conversation , never received a quote.

Myco: Didn`t bother due to pricing

Ultimately it came down to having the trailer measured and made for the boat, consensus with the above familiar with the Fountains was that Reggie kept changing the bottoms and no 2 boats fit on a trailer the same.I do not want adjustable bunks or fitment issues.
Haul Rite is right in ROTO they will come out and fit the trailer to boat and Ed Champion (eddie) from Big Thunder marine can do all that without me coming down.
He also had the best pricing easy to work with . They also use Vault axles.

Seriously!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,045 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I think the 10x2 is a much cleaner look, Eddie is a stand up guy
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Registered

I wouldn't hesitate to keep checking around with Myco, Manning etc, f it call lugo! Also try John at the bravo shop he also owns a welding shop at LOTO and built endeavour1 an amazing trailer for his black thunder.

Seriously though who knows what you might learn. I just know that almost ALL trailers are a JOKE and don't hold up like they should. If your spending the money might as well do it right....Seems like your on the right track so far in building something nice but can't hurt to think about it for a min.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm with Jbraun on the Phoenix trailers - They tow amazingly well - built like tanks and load like a dream when they are built to a hull design - everything from V's to tow boats.

For the time it take to call them for a quote - exhaust your options with that much coin on the line for a trailer

Personally, I like the look of the under bridged - with the tow/tie down laws getting more and more ridiculous - there is always a tie point.

On a side note, ICDEDPPL, if you created/marketed a yearly calendar (like others are selling on OSO) of your yearly avatars, you would probably pay for your trailer before long!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Registered

Bearings are a nightmare, even the vault have failed on Bills 43 punisher, yeah they warrentied them but what a nightmare on the side of the road. I just had a Timken fail last week with only 19k miles and my other 5 look brand new grease wasnt even dark yet. I don't know the answer yet but I am currently researching for my new trailer. The 7K bearings are just to small BUT Dexter offers a removable spindle up to 7K which would be nice cause the spindle always gets damaged and shortens that bearings life no matter what. They also have a pretty cool sealed bearing Nevr-lube for the 7K. I'm about done with grease and I know oil bath is iffy when submerging. 8k use the same inner as 7K so not enough of an upgrade. I'm looking into 10-12k now.

Wheels and tires. I've cracked many aluminum wheels, one last week. Make sure they are forged and trailer rated, or go steal. At a minimum to 235/85/16 14ply G Load Range or 17.5's.

Suspension, torsion is great. Just make sure the capacity isn't to high or it will ride like a brick. Air ride is cool but too expensive, plus more ways to fail. Timbren offers some pretty cool unique options also.

Brakes. You already know EOH. I prefer disc. Stainless is nice. The Dexter 7K and 8k disc brakes are a horrible design. Two piece calipers that fail, fall apart, over priced, poor design. But you can order with Kodiak or others. Not sure what's best yet but not those Dexter's. Dexter's 10-12k are a different design though.

Would be cool to seal a boxed frame and fill it with nitrogen ;-) Not sure what's better, C channel painted inside sounds great, painted aluminum is nice but expensive, and you really won't save much weight, better resale though. Not a fan of the bolt together unless the trailer is designed for twice the weight, like mine that came with unleashed, tows great but Unleashed is light and the trailers overkill. Don't think they have a bolt together double good enough for your 38EC.

Electric winch and Jack are cheap junk IMO. More to go wrong etc. It's easy to crank.

Use a full size like group 24 marine battery instead of those stupid little overpriced brake away batteries. And have it wired in to charge from your 7 way plug.

Make sure the rear strap points are in a good location, hate having the tabs in the way, or the tie downs angled FWD.

Front V Blocks awesome. Also have a place to strap the bow towards the rear cause the V blocks not strong enough to hold it in an accident.

LED lights are cool but make sure your brand is readily available or have spares, they do fail. Backup lights are BADAZZ, side angled towards rear and rear.

Wiring, what do they mean by "Sealed". I paid $300 upgrade charge for sealed on my last, they used gel filled SCOTCH locks Instead of standard......They all failed the first year....

I'll keep thinking but when you look at a trailers running gear it's a joke compared to even a half ton truck.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 01-10-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Good thread & thanks for sharing the intel.

There is a limited market for buyers of a 38EC. When it comes to the trailer choice matched to the boat, I would only be considering aluminum, even if I lived in the center of the country, as the steel trailer will affect the resale market (target buyer). Sure, any trailer can always be replaced; but it's an added expense, just like you are going through. Even if the future buyer down the road doesn't want the trailer, the used well-crafted aluminum trailer would sell quickly for that boat, compared to a steel one; again all affecting the target buyer.

And yes, sometimes a weld cracks on an aluminum trailer. It's not a big deal. I had my Myco addressed a time or two by a welder. But nothing was falling apart; it just needed maintenance.

It's interesting to see the difference between running gear supplied on the different manufacturers.
I had three 6K lbs. axles under my Aluminum Welded Myco C-channel, under my Active Thunder, and I would not have gone with anything less. That entire setup was right around 13,000lbs. sitting on a scale. This 38EC is going to be a lot more than that. These attributes have been talked about in the past, especially with the beating that each axle takes when changing terrain heights and absolutely when cresting the top of a ramp; on how much abuse the front axle takes specifically. As such, there is no way that three 5K lbs. axles is enough for that boat.

Some advice I heard Phil Lipschutz give a friend/OSO member years ago that I will just repeat for the masses:

"When you...
...get a black trailer, people see the boat.
...get a white trailer, people see the trailer."
Again, just FWIW.

In the past, I have seen many folks that on this site and others like it...
...that like to take the cheap path first, and then end up taking a second, expensive path later on; only to blame everyone and everything but one self for their predicament.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-10-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The future Fountain scank (wife) says Silver to match the truck, seems dumb, but different.

I love Red, it`ll probably be RED
Yeah, RED is kind of popular in my yard, too.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan I was super happy with my experience with Manning. They built a quality trailer at a affordable cost for our Formula. I elected to go aluminum for the additional weight savings and torsion axles as well corrosion resistance since the trailer would be sitting a majority of time and the silver won't look so shabby behind that beautiful dually.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 4,289 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
As such, there is no way that three 5K lbs. axles is enough for that boat.
Not a single manufacturer quoted me 5K axles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.