Notices

Floor jack recommendation

Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I have a 25 year old steel 3-ton Craftsman jack that is still my main jack. Never touched it and still works flawless and I use a jack quite a bit. I bought an aluminum 2-ton Craftsman jack a few years ago and it only lasted a couple years before the seals gave out. So far the Pittsburgh is holding up better than the Craftsman did as far as aluminum jacks go. Good to know on the OTC.
The one I am replacing is a craftsman. I inherited it from my FIL. I bet this thing is 50 yrs. old, weighs a ton. It worked fine until a few months ago. Now it leaks down very quickly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the HF floor jacks. Have both the alum and an older steel. They make many different ones, so go in and actually look over the models to get the beefier models. Also have several of their bottle jacks, and also like them, except for the cheesy handles.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I like to carry a floor jack when towing a boat. My floor jack works great but heavy and a pain to lift into and secure in the Yukon XL. I may need to look into the HF aluminum jack.

How many of you carry a floor jack when Towing?

Padraig
Old 03-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

My father and I both own the harbor freight alum jack. It gets my vote for a low price homeowner jack.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I also carry the HF alum jack in my truck at all times with an 18V Dewalt impact. Have used it lots of times on the side of the road on my trailer tires and changing tires for stranded motorists that have no clue. Turns a half hour job into a 3 minute job.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
I like to carry a floor jack when towing a boat. My floor jack works great but heavy and a pain to lift into and secure in the Yukon XL. I may need to look into the HF aluminum jack.

How many of you carry a floor jack when Towing?

Padraig
If you do so for the trailer, there are many products that make it real easy if you have more than 1 axle.

Here's one, of again, many:
https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...ck-am3620.webm

And here's another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krYt7VdLld4
Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do. And because of the weight of the steel one I had been loading into the truck for trailing, I bought the alum one. My back thanks me for that. You can carry the alum one with a single hand using the handles on the side. And that's the 3 ton unit!

Also keep a 30" breaker bar and a 13/16 deep socket next to the jack. Oh, and at home, put anti-seize on the lug studs thread. Will make the tire change go a lot easier down the road.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
If you do so for the trailer, there are many products that make it real easy if you have more than 1 axle.

Here's one, of again, many:
https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...ck-am3620.webm

And here's another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krYt7VdLld4
That looks interesting, have you tried It?

Padraig
Old 03-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Works every time. You can also ride up over a curb in an emergency to accomplish the same thing.

Originally Posted by Padraig
That looks interesting, have you tried It?

Padraig
Old 03-29-2017, 06:19 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't had good luck with the harbor freight steel jacks. Had 2 that would leak down over night right from new. I have an aluminum harbor freight that seems to work ok. I also had one of the big old green steel craftsman jacks that lasted about 30 years. Still have it actually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.