Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2010 to 2014 Chevy Tahoe vs Ford Expedition vs Toyota Sequoia >

2010 to 2014 Chevy Tahoe vs Ford Expedition vs Toyota Sequoia

Notices

2010 to 2014 Chevy Tahoe vs Ford Expedition vs Toyota Sequoia

Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 to 2014 Chevy Tahoe vs Ford Expedition vs Toyota Sequoia

For the 2010 to 2014 Chevy Tahoe vs Ford Expedition vs Toyota Sequoia opinions on these three SUV's? I'm going to have to go with the years I mentioned because that's what I can afford. For making payments for 3 years. I'll be buying an SUV in the summertime. Also I'll only be towing two to three times a year. Once to Michigan. The other is for when I get a boat again to have it up at my parents lakehouse in Wisconsin. Bring home the boat for the winter. Once I do get a boat again. I don't haul around big bulky items to begin with. Easier to park and use as daily driver.

The Pros and cons of each these three? Which one do you prefer?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

We had a 2007 Tahoe. Bought at about 50k and sold it at about 150k. 2WD, 5.3.

It was an okay car. Seemed like lots of piddly **** was wrong by the time we sold it. Suspension lights on, rear AC broken, coils going bad, alternator, starter, leaked wiper fluid, burned oil since the day we got it despite all the M1 oil change records since day 1, seat heater not working, couple failed headlights, tire pressure monitors etc....

Also, the car was lethargic at best.

We have two friends with 08's and they experienced a lot of the same issues, of course they don't maintain them at all...

All that being said though and Santa still bought another of the new ones end of last year (Yukon Denali this time but essentially the same as Tahoe). There just aren't many other good options in my wife's eyes.....
Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they all have their moments, but one thing to remember, if you are looking at a LTZ tahoe, you can buy a Yukon denali, or escalade for about the same $$$$ I just bought a 11 escalade, started looking at the tahoe. cracking dashes are issue on the tahoe(not on escalade as their dash is different) other issue is lifter failure as all these have DOD(cylinder deactivation), but as far as running/driving/riding they are great. there are not as many of the fords/toyotas out there as not nearly as many of these were sold new..
Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Oh yeah, mine had a cracked dash.

I don't like the look of the Yukon pre-2015, but that is subjective. I do agree with EZ that the Denali package seems to be the best deal (that's why we went with it on our new one - from a resale standpoint I think I'll get the money back)

Last edited by seafordguy; 03-28-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

We bought an 09 LTZ w 5 k miles on it( dealer demo). Has over 120K now. With the 6.2 motor. Very strong, nice riding truck. Tow package- never even uncovered hitch yet.
Traded in an 01 Ford Expedition w 5.4- that thing could not get out of its own way. The newer model may be better but this was a tank.

Issues- w Tahoe
running lights-as ALL Chevys, Seat heat / Ac went out- $650 I think. Oil pan gasket has been leaking on my new driveway, Chevy wants 1K to fix.
One of the struts on the rear hatch just chit oil all over rear. 12-13 MPG -91 oct needed.
There have been a few other minor issues, but as a whole I have been pretty happy with the truck. I have been looking at New Denali's w 6.2 and they are pushing 80K New sticker.
It is a very comfortable riding truck. Probably put several more miles on it before I go new.
Bought the wife a 13 BMW X5 w the 5.0 motor- talk about a Hot Rod SUV! But on long hauls the Tahoe is much more comfortable.

My .02
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't have any direct experience, and haven't really shopped for a half-ton anything in quite a few years...
...BUT, when I did, being an owner of both GM and Fords for years; I was REALLY impressed with the Tundra & the 5.7L.
The Sequoia is the same drivetrain. They do not get the best gas mileage though.

If I were you, I'd stick with the GM (Tahoe/Yukon/Denali) or the Sequoia; and skip the Expedition. I agree with Quinlan in that I've never been in an Expedition that had enough power to move anything but itself.

Remember, there are 3/4 ton versions of the Suburban & Yukon XL. Older ones had the 8.1L gas V8 with as much HP as the Duramax of the day. The later model ones had the 6.0L gasser. This would be a great towing platform for you even into your next boat.

Regardless of which one you choose, make certain you get the bigger engine option; the 5.7L in the Toyota, and the 6.2L in the GM (which I think will force you into the Denali vs. the Tahoe).
Old 03-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Registered

I'm going to avoid the Ford Expedition. Maybe I'll focus more on the GM Tahoe/Yukon/Denali, Cadillac Escalade, or the Toyota Sequoia.

The Suburban or Yukon XL would be awesome. It would be a pain to park though. As well as having a big enough garage for it.

Last edited by Captain Nick; 03-28-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can swing a Denali (or Escalade) with a 6.0 or 6.2 engine they have lots of power.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also for what its worth I have a 11 avalanche, love it, my second one, has the 5.3, and there is a HUGE difference in performance form the earlier ones with a 5.3, decent power. I tuned it with superchips tuner, deactivated the DOD and saw no loss in MPG and performace is decent. with the denali or the escalade, you can only get AWD or RWD no 4x4, so knowing we would never drive the escalade in the snow, searched for a RWD, better MPG and its a hot rod without spinning all the AWD parts.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Registered

I'm leaning more and more toward the Denali. Not only the performance, but looks as well. The towing capacity is really nice as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.