Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Looking for a decent route: Greencastle PA through Hartford CT >

Looking for a decent route: Greencastle PA through Hartford CT

Notices

Looking for a decent route: Greencastle PA through Hartford CT

Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Looking for a decent route: Greencastle PA through Hartford CT

Evening, the weekend of the 22nd of this month I'll be heading out to Greencastle Pa to pick up my new Cafe Racer. The trip down from Maine is no issue unloaded but on the way back with the boat I could use a little direction from some people who know the route options in terms of road conditions, traffic or lack of, and just general suggestions. When I went out to look at the boat last month I noticed 81 east was in pretty chitty condition, kinda riddled with F350 crew cab 8' bed swallowing pot holes... 84 north was ok, a little construction but alright, so I'm not that worried about that and north of Hartford I know pretty well as I travel it once a month. So I was hoping a few of you on here might recommend a friendly route from out near Greencastle PA to north of Hartford for truck/trailer combo that'll be close to 60' LOA? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

84 east out of Scranton to 87 North in NY..take 90 east into Mass

Rt 84 from the CT/NY order to past Waterbury is a nightmare, not to mention Hartford traffic.

Ken
Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
84 east out of Scranton to 87 North in NY..take 90 east into Mass

Rt 84 from the CT/NY order to past Waterbury is a nightmare, not to mention Hartford traffic.

Ken
Thanks, I'll take a look at that route! Appreciate it. I talked to Brian who ownes Bluewater boat hauling out of RI and he said he usually takes 81 to 84 on that route despite the construction. I was suprised but he drives all the time...
Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Stay out of NY city and use the Tappan Zee Bridge if you can.
But what ever you do make sure you can be on the road you are on. ie, if you get caught on a NY parkway with a trailer when a cop sees you, you will wish you wouldn't have (if you already haven't hit a low bridge).
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Stay out of NY city and use the Tappan Zee Bridge if you can.
But what ever you do make sure you can be on the road you are on. ie, if you get caught on a NY parkway with a trailer when a cop sees you, you will wish you wouldn't have (if you already haven't hit a low bridge).
I drive this route down to Hartford every month; there'd be no need to be anywhere near the city or the Tappan Zee. The trip is from Greencastle PA to Maine.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have family in Hartford. Always go I-81 to I-84. You should know to do it in off hours. Rush hours are a royal ***** with a trailer. ESPECIALLY in CT from Danbury to Hartford. Roads aren't too bad, Just keep speed down to a low roar and you won't beat up your equipment too much.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gofastboater
I have family in Hartford. Always go I-81 to I-84. You should know to do it in off hours. Rush hours are a royal ***** with a trailer. ESPECIALLY in CT from Danbury to Hartford. Roads aren't too bad, Just keep speed down to a low roar and you won't beat up your equipment too much.
Appreciate that, we're doing a weekend trip, will be headed northeast on sunday with the boat.