Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps? >

Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?

Notices

Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?

Old 04-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?

Going to start traveling longer distances with my boat. Do any of you guys keep and extra hub and bearings? Either way, has anyone ever been in a situation and needed one? I've had my boat 4 years and I've repacked my bearings twice and have changed one set so they aren't neglected.

Year before last I had 2 flats. Most people like me don't carry 2 spares. So I want to better prepare myself...

Never used transom straps (nor do my friends) because I don't like putting pressure on my trim tabs and haven't discovered a set that I felt wouldn't harm my gel. In an emergency situation, are they really going to help? What kind do you recommend?
Old 04-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Extra hub and bearings is a good thing. I like to carry at least one hub and bearings. I use straps on the transom more to keep boat as stiff as possible on trailer. Anywhere strap touches boat its has microfiber towels folded into quarters. In an accident I don't think a strap made will keep it there but for big bumps, dips, hard swerve if need be boat feels stiffer to me. Carry at least one spare. Plug kit also.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep 2 sets of extra wheel bearings and the tools to change them in my toolbox. Most people only carry one spare tire but its smart to carry a plug kit (and know how to use it properly) and a large can of fix-a-flat or a small 12v compressor. Of course a plug kit won't help with a blowout, but it will repair a truck tire.

I would say that a complete spare hub is the way to go. Much faster than banging out bearing races in a parking lot.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I always carried an extra hub, brake pads, brake line, full set of bearings, and grease. Never needed it. Happy with that though.

As for transom straps, they are a must. You can actually get ticketed in some states for not having them. I found that folding the strap lengthwise, I was able to place it between the K-plane plate and the transom plate, with little to no stress on the trim tabs. Perhaps you can relocate your rear tie down eyes, U-bolts, or whatever to get an unobstructed path. Some folks also have terry-cloth or similar sleeves made for their transom straps. There are lots of different kinds of straps, but I find the ones with the flat hooks typically work the best on our type of boats.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I carry an extra set of bearings, grease gun and tools to change it.
I also carry an extra leaf spring and all the bolts needed to replace it. Started doing that after I broke one 4 hours from home.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KevD815
I keep 2 sets of extra wheel bearings and the tools to change them in my toolbox. Most people only carry one spare tire but its smart to carry a plug kit (and know how to use it properly) and a large can of fix-a-flat or a small 12v compressor. Of course a plug kit won't help with a blowout, but it will repair a truck tire.

I would say that a complete spare hub is the way to go. Much faster than banging out bearing races in a parking lot.
I'm thinking a complete hub because if a bearing goes down, figured the hub would be messed up.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I always carried an extra hub, brake pads, brake line, full set of bearings, and grease. Never needed it. Happy with that though.

As for transom straps, they are a must. You can actually get ticketed in some states for not having them. I found that folding the strap lengthwise, I was able to place it between the K-plane plate and the transom plate, with little to no stress on the trim tabs. Perhaps you can relocate your rear tie down eyes, U-bolts, or whatever to get an unobstructed path. Some folks also have terry-cloth or similar sleeves made for their transom straps. There are lots of different kinds of straps, but I find the ones with the flat hooks typically work the best on our type of boats.
I figured that transom straps were law. KY law enforcement isn't typically very anal about things like that. Now I bet VA is. I got pulled over in my wife's Sonata and cited for window tint only... Wasn't even speeding.

Now back to the hub and bearings. I asked an online question about the fitment of a hub and bearing kit on etrailers. They said I needed the axel dimension to confirm they will fit. My question is, are all 6k, 6 lug, and 12" rotor trailer axels the same or is there odd ball sizes out there? I don't want to take a hub off just to get a spare.

My trailer company over the phone would have sold me what I needed but they wanted twice as much and didn't give me a chance to ask for SN numbers. Wasn't too friendly when I mentioned etrailers prices.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Had a Manning trailer built last year. Went with double spares and 1 has a fully loaded hub. I also have been concerned over the years about the transom strap clearance. Manning made plates to move the straps in enough to take the stress off the tabs. [ATTACH=CONFIG]566729[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566730[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566731[/ATTACH]iOS
Attached Thumbnails Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?-20160715_192945.jpg   Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?-20160731_121634.jpg   Traveling More... Extra Hub and Transom Straps?-20160714_173248_resized_1.jpg  

Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, have had bearings go bad on road, even after spinning wheel to check them prior to trip. Was able to replace and repack bearings in truck stop only 30 miles from town with good trailer supply that stocked big bearings. Keep in mind most places don't have parts for bearings on trailers like ours.

Have also had to replace a hub assembly on the road due to failed lug studs. Took a while to find a business with new hub for sale. Ended up at a horse trailer manufacturing company, and they took great care of us.

So yes, being prepared to can be worth it.

And yes, use transom straps, and make them at least 10,000 lb straps if you want a good chance of keeping your boat on the trailer in an accident. Also use one at the bow eye to pull your boat down to the trailer. The winch cable is not designed to hold your boat on the trailer. if you only want to keep your boat attached to the 3000 lb trailer over bumps and potholes, then lighter straps work, but in a bad situation expect the boat to come off.

Finally, there are at least two different small bearings for 6 lug hubs, using different races for different o.d. angles, but same i.d. So they can be substituded for each other if you change the race, but not easily, and not a great idea.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with others. Use straps front and rear. I don't keep a bearing set, but keep telling myself I need to assemble a set for the tool box. When I've lost a bearing in the past, I've lost the spindle too. Which typically requires new axle assemblies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.