Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing >

Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing

Notices

Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing

Old 09-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard the Mercedes engine in the Sportchassis is awful, but the 8.3 Cummins is awesome. I have an F650 so not the same, but I think the Sportchassis is better in every way. There's a nice one in the classifieds for a great price.

I would say one of the biggest pros of the medium duty by far is the fuel capacity. Mine holds 214 gallons and averages 11mpg city/hwy/empty/towing. That's over 2k miles which means you can pick and choose when to get gas. With the 1 ton you're looking for a gas station every 300 miles or so, and finding one that you can get your very long rig into sucks. Depends how much you tow I guess.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and the turning radius of the 650 is better than a1 ton dually, I've heard the Sportchassis is even better so they're surpringly easy to maneuver. My dad daily drives his 650 including drive thrus
Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Yeah My 650 has a good turning radius and love the huge fuel tanks.

Definitely need the biggest engine options cause some really suck

I personally am more comfortable in the 650 then a Sportchassis. I've driven multiple of each and being a Dodge Ram owner my entire life I was set on a Sportchassis, but they are nothing special compared to a nice 650. surprised all my friends buying our F650, but we LOVE it!

I think there's some false thinking why some feel a Sportchassis is "better"
There are more "base" model and backyard built 650s out there hurting their reputation
650s were a "fad" first then people moved to a Sportchassis "fad", just like Myspace to Facebook, same stupid thing.
Some "think" a Sportchassis is a "semi" and F650s not....they are both Class 6 and 7 trucks depending how equipped.

Either way doesn't matter what brand you like, Properly built F650s and Sportchassis haul great, as so with a modern day 1 Ton from the big 3.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I have had both and if just driving around town the Sportchassis is fun but not as easy as a pickup. but on the road Sportchassis all the way, mine had the 330 Mercedes, i hauled the cigarette back and forth from California to florida and must say it is the only way to go, power was never an issue. lots of room to move around,