Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing >

Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing

Notices

Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing

Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing

I'm looking for answers from people with experience with the Freightliner sportchassis with Mercedes 330 HP engines or the Cummins engines

How do they pull for power down the highway and climbing hills and acceleration? Ive heard from some (most with no first hand experience) Either they tell me there awesome and plenty of power or others have said they are under powered. It cant be both so looking for feed back from experience.

Stability and visibility? How are they for towing? Ride Quality/ Comfort?

I'm used to 1 ton Duramax diesels and always have plenty of power and stability and comfort.
I'm debating on getting a new 1 ton duramax that I use for pulling and misc occasional driving or just buy a designated boat puller sport chassis and keep my existing Duramax.

Input from those with experience?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Wish we could have met at Doc's LOTO party and discussed there. Have towed the MTI/Heritage tilt combo with Sportchassis/Cummins and now 2017 DMax. Trailer plus boat weighs 19,400lbs full of fuel and gear.
The new DMax accelerates better, pulls hills better, holds cruise speeds more consistent, and is obviously much quieter smoother and comfortable than the SC. Added air bags to the DMax to eliminate rear sway and it tows the load very comfortably.
Obviously in a "worst case scenario" the additional weight of the SC would be an advantage, but with the braking I have on the trailer and the technology of the braking in the DMax that extra weight might just be a liability.
Got just over 8mpg with the DMax towing to LOTO and back but that may improve as truck only has 3k miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing-img_1360.jpg   Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing-img_1335.jpg   Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing-img_20160707_164436463_hdr.jpg  

Freightliner sport chassis vs 1 ton towing-img_20160706_205817701_hdr.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I have no experience with Sportchassis either, However I do with our 1 Ton Crew Cab Duramax Dually.

I have never had any problems, Accelerating, Braking, Control in High winds etc.

Biggest Challenge ever presented in our towing trips is (Belvidere, TN) with the horses in tow.
37" Sundowner Gooseneck with living quarters 14,000 Lbs., loaded plus the Truck.
Camp is top of the mountain, and I made the mistake of letting off the throttle at the first bend.

Truck dropped to instant 40 mph and was never able to regain anything above 40 mph.
4 miles straight up.... WOT at 40 mph.

Next day we headed into town and the sign says 11% grade for 4 miles down hill.
Do the math that is a 1/2 mile straight Up in 4 miles.

Few days later there where a few people talking with others about there Sportchassis.
Both individuals never achieved above 25 mph.

End of the day I think your biggest advantage with the Sportchassis
is Control and Brake control.

None the less, Pretty happy with Duramax too, and you can use the Duramax in more places also.

My .02$
Jon
Old 09-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

There really is more to it then just medium duty VS 1 Ton pickup. It really depends on how the trucks are optioned, geared, tires, etc.

What most people forget is the trailer is just as, or MORE important then whats pulling it, and most trailers are underbuilt and not properly setup. Way to much to explain here but trust me.

I have towed commercially and recreationally with Ram, Ford, and Chevy 1 Tons, Sportchassis, and F650s. They are all awesome when setup properly and they all suck when not.

Part of the reason for a medium duty is how much it makes you smile while driving it! Just so Badazz!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Part of the reason for a medium duty is how much it makes you smile while driving it! Just so Badazz![/QUOTE]

Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
There really is more to it then just medium duty VS 1 Ton pickup. It really depends on how the trucks are optioned, geared, tires, etc.

What most people forget is the trailer is just as, or MORE important then whats pulling it, and most trailers are underbuilt and not properly setup. Way to much to explain here but trust me.

I have towed commercially and recreationally with Ram, Ford, and Chevy 1 Tons, Sportchassis, and F650s. They are all awesome when setup properly and they all suck when not.

Part of the reason for a medium duty is how much it makes you smile while driving it! Just so Badazz!

I agree on the truck and trailer setup 100%
Functionality is most important for me.
Of course I want it to look good but if the functionality isnt there... I'm out.

My existing 1 ton and trailer setup works great honestly. Good Trailer and setup is key.
I realize the sportchassis should handle better than a 1 ton, But at this point I have no handling breaking issues at all. So it comes down to looks and comfort. Of course I'd like the looks.
My previous experiences tell me everything has a positive and a negative. I wouldnt want to get something that looks awesome and handles good but goes down the road like a turtle...
Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked to a lot of people and the consensus is that the new Duramax diesel/Allison trans. is hard to beat. With a smaller truck it is way easier to maneuver in tight spots. The bigger trucks look awesome but getting into and out of gets to be a pain. Not to mention the fuel mileage. Believe me I do it all day with my Pete.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
I agree on the truck and trailer setup 100%
Functionality is most important for me.
Of course I want it to look good but if the functionality isnt there... I'm out.

My existing 1 ton and trailer setup works great honestly. Good Trailer and setup is key.
I realize the sportchassis should handle better than a 1 ton, But at this point I have no handling breaking issues at all. So it comes down to looks and comfort. Of course I'd like the looks.
My previous experiences tell me everything has a positive and a negative. I wouldnt want to get something that looks awesome and handles good but goes down the road like a turtle...
Sounds like you are mostly concerned with having enough power while towing. There definitely are medium dutys out there that are under powered, geared incorrectly, and the wrong transmissions. If you get one that is properly setup it still wont quite have the acceleration as a newer stock 1 Ton. Some of that is due to the medium dutys having detuned engines so a commercial company driver wont destroy them, part due to the trucks just weighing so much more and turning more rotating mass, and the last part even when powered by the largest engines the HP is still less then a modern diesel pickup but the Torque is equal or more. So the medium duty will have no problem hauling down the freeway at 75mph, it just wont accelerate as fast as the lighter pickup. You can also turn up the medium dutys pretty easily and gain quite a bit of power. Now once you start throwing on an Ebay special lift, some massive wheels and tires, etc. the 1 Ton pickup will not tow as well, but it will almost look as cool as a Medium duty...almost ;-)

I will make you such a deal on my F650 it will make your mind up for you!!! :-)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Last year I helped a buddy pull his horse trailers from Houston to Tulsa. Both trailers were the same. Loaded with horses, and show gear they weigh a little over 20K lbs. each. I was in the SC w/ the 330, he was in his F450. He could leave me in the dust anytime he wanted. The SC was loud, and somewhat bouncy, and I seem to remember having it floored the entire trip to run around 75-80mph. It was fun as heck to drive though.

When they head out west they tell me the SC is very slow going up the hills.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^^ Tulsa??!! Holla next time and we will go Bar Hopping in my 6Fiddy. Lots of fun with all of the lights and strobes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.