Notices

Safety Chain Attachment?

Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Safety Chain Attachment?

The attachment points for safety chains on my truck (2008 Chevy 2500 D-Max) are made of a flat piece of steel with holes in it. It is not always easy to get the safety chain hooks to fit so I have a couple D-rings on there. They are the type with the screw together bezel thing. Not sure how to describe it so here is a link.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/RM-645.html

Anyway, I got them at Ace Hardware and I think they are 3/8" diameter but I have no idea what they weight rating is on them. Does anyone know or have another solution? I think they are plenty strong enough but I'd hate to have them snap if the trailer ever came loose.
.(I don't know how to attach photos on this new site format)
Old 12-13-2017, 01:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I cut off my old hooks and replaced them with bigger clevis hooks
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Those "quick links" your talking about have a "typical" load limit of about 1800lbs for the cheap ones.....if you look around you can get them rated for 3500lbs....i found mine at Grainger
Thats for the 3/8" size links

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better yet, buy clevis rings to go where you have the "D rings" now in your hitch. Then you can easily hook your chains to the clevis rings. It's a slight variation on how Griff did his. And actually, doing both would be a good idea.

BTW, are your safety chains big and strong, or flimsy as many manufacturers put on their trailers stock?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default chains

Take the quick links out of your securement device. Aluminum quick links do no have sufficient working load limits to keep your trailer behind the power unit after a coupler failure.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrydet
Take the quick links out of your securement device. Aluminum quick links do no have sufficient working load limits to keep your trailer behind the power unit after a coupler failure.
The ones i was referring to would be made of carbon steel....for the 1800lbs and Alloy steel for the 3500lb ratings..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!