Notices

F-250 trailer plug

Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
doesn't work that way either, the only way to energize the pump is to pull the break away switch or put +12 direct to the blue wire.........
I'm assuming you have a battery on the trailer, correct? If so, does the brake controller actuate when the break-away switch is pulled and the truck is NOT connected?

Have you used a test light to confirm that you have power coming to the 12V hot pin out of the truck? Some trucks need to have a fuse inserted to make this happen, that's not there from the factory. This would be in the manual.

Also, some integrated/factory brake controllers, especially of that era were only designed to really with STRAIGHT ELECTRIC brakes. IF your truck is one of those, you need this:
HBA-CAM.html

That basically "fools" the truck into thinking you have Straight Electric (magnet) brakes; and allows your factory controller to work with an EOH trailer brake system.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I'm assuming you have a battery on the trailer, correct? YES If so, does the brake controller actuate when the break-away switch is pulled and the truck is NOT connected? YES

Have you used a test light to confirm that you have power coming to the 12V hot pin out of the truck? YES Some trucks need to have a fuse inserted to make this happen, that's not there from the factory. This would be in the manual.

Also, some integrated/factory brake controllers, especially of that era were only designed to really with STRAIGHT ELECTRIC brakes. IF your truck is one of those, you need this:
Attachment 571022

That basically "fools" the truck into thinking you have Straight Electric (magnet) brakes; and allows your factory controller to work with an EOH trailer brake system.

no voltage present on the blue wire @ the truck plug until I engage the controller then theres 2.8 vdc on the blue wire no matter where the controller is set while truck not moving, Im gonna see if my neighbor is busy this eve, there may be a to see who gets trailer duty.....

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-25-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
The problem with bypassing the integrated controller is getting the aftermarket one to work without throwing a warning light on the dash.
I have no warning light . Do away with the factory setup mine never worked right down rite scary pulling 15k .

Last edited by 575cat; 09-26-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 575cat
I have no warning light . Do away with the factory setup mine never worked right down rite scary pulling 15k .

How did you by pass it?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Soon as I get the brakes bleed, Ill hook it up crank it up to 8-9 and see if it works, my B inlaw ( Matco man ) in TX talked to a bud of his, 40 yr Ford mechanic and he said some work and some dont, it is true the early 05's like mine need to be moving and decelerating for the ECM to put out max voltage on the blue lead, if it doesnt work he said to install a dexter in cab controller.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
How did you by pass it?
No warning ever came up . Prodigy is a plug & play unplug from the box and plug the new controller into the harness done .
Old 09-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 575cat
No warning ever came up . Prodigy is a plug & play unplug from the box and plug the new controller into the harness done .
it plugs into the dash harness ?? what brand truck
Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

15 Ram 2500 , they should also have a harness for Ford , plug and play .
Old 09-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't know that trucks that DO have an integrated controller have the option to use a "pigtail" like the other trucks that don't.

See this page (after you enter your truck details), and see the two pigtails you can buy, which plug in under the dash, and allow you to wire up an aftermarket controller.
Reese - Brake Controllers

This will them use the truck's factory wiring to carry the brake controller signals to the trailer connector on the back of the truck.

Some other info:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-fbc_sd05.aspx
Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

replace your 05 factory controller with a Ford 07 factory controller. They did away with the minimum speed problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.